“Expensive for what it is”

The Hare and Hounds
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hare and Hounds is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 577 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$21 - US$42
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Bath, United Kingdom
“Expensive for what it is”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Ate sunday lunch with my 4 year old. I had a starter and main. He had a childs main. We both had beef that was so tough i did not finish (this is very rare). The veg was stewed down and tasted far from fresh. I was given a miserly two roast potatoes as was he (i stole one of his). I was still hungry on leavening. The bill came and it was very expensive for what we had. I have eaten sunday roast at the the Marlbourgh Tavern before and been so much happier. On a positive note the staff were polite and efficient.

“Average”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I have been to the Hare and Hounds twice in the last few weeks - both times we were spoken to rudely by the manager. I have not eaten here so I can't comment on the food - it looks lovely though. The only reason we decided to go here was for the views - they are stunning, easily the best view from a pub in Bath! However, will not be returning and felt compelled to write a review due to the rudeness we experienced yesterday. I was visiting with a disabled friend, and to make him more comfortable we moved one of their benches so that he could rest his bad leg. We were immediately pounced on by a patronising arrogant man I can only assume was the manager. We were asked to 'stop rearranging the garden'. I found this incredibly rude, I felt very patronised but we immediately offered to move it back. We were told not to. Can't quite understand the logic - it is not as if we were going to start moving all the benches around, we moved one so that our (quite obviously!) disabled friend could be more comfortable. Drinks are incredibly overpriced and the entire experience was pretty horrible to be honest. It is as though they are catering for only one sort of clientèle and if you do not fit into this bracket, then they will make your visit as miserable as possible. Not going back.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank noodles1691
Sarah G, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
I am so sorry to hear about your terrible experience with us. At no point should any guest be treated as you have been. I would very much like to speak to you further about this and find out which member of the management team treated you in this way. Could you please give me a call on 01225 482682 and ask to speak to Sarah. Again I offer my sincerest apologies.
Bath
“Go there for the view”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Have visited the Hare and Hounds for many years and seen owners/managers/chains etc come and go.

Its a spectacular location, with stunning views, large garden and extensive seating throughout - both inside and out. But thats about it. Wasn't that impressed with the food - found it expensive for what it was.

The staff do try hard, but they all appear to be very young, lacking experience etc.

Would visit for a summers evening drink overlooking the stunning views, but avoid the food.

Maybe teething problems, maybe trying a city centre formula in an out of town ex carvery establishment - who knows?

1 Thank marymacb66
Bath
“Great views, Warm service, tasty food”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I have been here a number of times now, the food has always been tasty, interesting and well enjoyed by myself and friends. Must try the antpasti to share though as its a big portion but so, so good! The sunday lunch (especially the pork) is really good, and they seem to be really busy every time I visit. There are british pub classics like fish and chips as well as 'a la carte' options, puddings are very good and come in cool little kilner jars.

Friendly, warm and attentive service, its a nice touch to be greeted at the door or bar, not something you see very often. Can't fault the service at all!

Excellent wine list, definately reccommend the bordeaux!

Fantastic views, try and get a table by the massive window that overlooks bath, lovely surroundings in which to eat!

All in all, a wonderful experience and can't recommend it enough.

• Visited September 2012
Bath, United Kingdom
“dissapointing Sunday Lunch experience”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

When you live in Bath like I do. You soon get to know the places that do a hearty reasonably priced Sunday Roast Lunch. I have been up to this place before on a weekday evening. And had an ok portion of their fish and chips. But friends of ours said they do a good Sunday Lunch. So we decided to phone up on the day to enquire about reserving a table for Sunday Lunch and to check if ok to bring our little dog with us. Was told that all the outside tables had been booked out and that they were not reserving any more tables, but there was plenty of tables available and to just turn up and we would be looked after. So we did at around 2.30 pm. We had a table inside the bar area and ordered some drinks whilst we looked at the menu. All 3 of us instantly knew what we wanted for lunch. and so went to place our order. We asked for 2 roast beef and 1 rissotto. Have you booked a table they asked. Well no we replied as you were not taking anymore reservations and you said for us to just turn up. Well I'm very sorry but the Roast beef we are holding back for those that have booked a table. Ok we will have the roast Pork then. Ah, they said, that is also the case for the pork. Well what other roasts can we have. Chicken they said. Well can we get a yorkshire pudding with our roast chicken? We will see what we can do. Now our friend loved her rissotto. But our roast chicken was very dissapointing. Just a plain chicken breast!!! We did get a yorkshire pudding but had to ask for a few extra greens as my friend counted just 4 green beans on his plate. And we only had 1 carrott each. We ordered a carafe of wine which eventually arrived towards the end of our meal. The whole service was far too loose for my liking and quality of roast no where near like their sister pub the Chequers. Which has put me off wanting to return again. So be warned if you want roast beef at this establishment then book a table and make sure to request the beef otherwise you will be dissapointed like me.

1 Thank PeterRichardBath