“Highly recommend”

The Hare and Hounds
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hare and Hounds is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 567 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$20 - US$41
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Soups, Gastropub
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, View, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bath, United Kingdom
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My partner and I took my mum for Sunday lunch here. We managed to get a table outside with a breathtaking view over Bath. The food was superb, the staff very friendly, professional and helpful. The only downside was that on the patio area where we were there were no umbrellas, luckily it wasn't too hot. There is another patio area with umbrellas but this was being used by a private party. The portion sizes were very generous, although slightly less on the veggie option. However, delicious and we all thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon.

• Visited July 2014
Luke T, Manager at The Hare and Hounds, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hello

Everyone here was very happy to read this review, especially the chefs who work incredibly hard to produce the best roasts in Bath.

Apologies for the lack of parasols, maybe next time you can grab a table with one.

We look forward to seeing you, your mum and your partner again.

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“The best view in the world?”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The food and the beer is good - especially the salt cod, the cheese board. I was disappointed to find that the bitter had to come all the way from Scotland with so many great local beers .to chose from but that's life.

At least the view is local . Supping my pint whilst reflecting on the valley and nature laid out before me, I couldn't feel too bitter.

1 Thank Keith B
Luke T, Manager at The Hare and Hounds, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Hi Keith B

We were very pleased to hear you enjoyed the food and the ales, even the Scottish one.We look forward to your next visit.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Friday Night experience”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Staying locally the evening before a wedding, was recommended this gastro pub. Nice welcome on arrival with friendly, attentive staff throughout. In our party of six all were pleased with the choice of food available - only one dish unavailable but that's always a shame as no doubt one of the party would have chosen it. Food that was ordered was well received by all. Nice ambience (must remember to request a table in the window next time), good range of drinks. For two courses with drinks the bill came in at under £30 each which seemed good value. More than happy to go again.

Hello

May I express thanks on behalf of everyone here at the Hare & Hounds for your great review. Feel free to call ahead and request a table by the window. We would love to accommodate.

Best wishes to the bride and groom.

Thanks

South Carolina
“Has potential, but still far from great.”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We recently ate at The Hare and Hounds on our trip to Bath. I took advantage of making an online reservation, but were unexpectedly a few hours early to eat. The restaurant was gracious and let us have an early table. Unfortunately, it took quite some time to be attended to by a server and his time was spread thin over a large area (inside and outside). We finally were able to place our order, but were told the restaurant was out of the beef AND the chicken (on a Sunday evening). Our server said they had an unexpectedly large group earlier in the day that had wiped their kitchen out. I felt bad for whoever came to eat dinner later! The menu was getting smaller by the minute and my husband was able to get the last beef plate.
Overall, the restaurant is lacking in service and what we did get to eat was just "okay". The main advantage this place has is ambiance and a decent view.

• Visited August 2014
LukeSyson42, Manager at The Hare and Hounds, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hello Rossica221, I would just like to take this opportunity to, first of all, apologize for your unsatisfactory experience with us. When we’re busy we always try to give fast and friendly service but clearly we were not fast enough for you on your visit. It disappoints me to see me and my waiting staff rated as a 2/5 and I hope this was simply down to the speed of service rather than the manner in which you were treated. The waiting team are always very enthusiastic and friendly even under pressure so I sincerely hope you received this kind of service despite the long wait.

In regard to the limited menu I can only apologise again. On a Sunday, roasts are obviously the most popular dishes and it is very difficult to predict which particular roast dinner will be the most popular. It changes week by week and we do our best to order the amount of produce we think will be needed. Unfortunately, because there isn’t a clear pattern as to which roast is most popular and we did cater many very large parties during that Sunday lunch period, we could not provide two of our four roast dinner dishes on the evening. This is not ideal and not in keeping with our high service standards. Our Head Chef would also like to extend her sincere apologies for this issue.

The fact that the food you did receive was just ‘okay’ was also very disappointing to hear, as we have been presented with the award for ‘Best Sunday Lunch’ at the Bath good food awards in 2013. I believe that, as you stated, your experience was ‘far from great’, but also that this was an anomaly within what I truly believe to be a great establishment with great food and great service.

Please allow us to prove this to you by visiting us again. Feel free to call anytime.

Wiltshire, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Never been until today , chose for there menu as didn't want a traditional roast , plenty of alternatives to choose from , service excellent and beautiful food all set in some spectacular surroundings .
Will most certainly go again.

Hello NicholaHewitt

We were all so glad to read that your first visit here was so brilliant. I guarantee that all of your future visits will be equally as good.

And do try one of our award winning roasts some day. Best in the city, just to let you know.

Thanks