“Best cocktail bar in bath” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sub 13

Sub 13
Ranked #5 of 44 Nightlife in Bath
More attraction details
Owner description: Bath's premier cocktail bar serving the best cocktails in town since 2004. Big city style in an intimate, friendly environment. Sweeping leather booths and subtle lighting attract an intimate and vibrant crowd. And our hidden gem, the Perrier-Jouet Champagne terrace is a city centre oasis thats open till 1am and heated for the winter.
Bath, United Kingdom
“Best cocktail bar in bath”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This is a fantastic cocktail bar! Very friendly staff, all extremely knowledgeable about the trade. There is a brilliant menu (great 2 for 1 deal early evening!) and on top of that, the staff are all more than happy to design a cocktail according to your own taste. Being a Bath local, I have visited this bar several times, including private bookings and have never been disappointed. I would recommend this place to anyone from couples to hen/stag parties! With the main bar area, private vaults and beer garden it really suits everybody.

sub13bar, Owner at Sub 13, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hi katwally89,

Many thanks for your feedback - we do have some fantastic staff and their knowledge of cocktails and all things drinking really is second to none! Also very glad to hear they were getting creative for you too... The 2-for-1 offer is always popular and yes - we are a bit of a destination for hen parties?

Anyway - glad you like sub 13 - see you for a cocktail soon!

Yours,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“£50 to be crammed in a small space!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We visited this bar on our recent stay in bath as it was recommended to us by our hotel, we had paid £50 to reserve a table for 9. Upon arrival we were shown to this table which was crammed in the middle of a hen party and other customers and quite frankly was only big enough for half of our party, there was also no music being played although in the main none paying area there was very good music. After an hour we left and moved elsewhere!!

1 Thank Suzey76
sub13bar, Owner at Sub 13, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
We have already corresponded by email, but I wanted to respond publicly to your complaint as well.

I am extremely sorry that your evening did not live up to expectation, and that you felt the area you were given wasn't right for your group. Had you made this known to us on the night we would of course been happy to move you to another area where you would have had more space and altered the music levels to your requirement. Unfortunately the first we heard of your disappointment was by en email sent at the same time as your above review.

It is unfortunate that you did not allow us the opportunity to address your complaint before you made it public, but I apologise for any disappointment caused.
South West
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Just awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

This was such a disappointment. We are a young couple in our 20's and were in Bath for the weekend. Before we arrived, I researched cocktail bars and decided to go to Sub 13. They describe themselves on their website as "Our aim is perfection in everything we do, from the quality of the drinks we serve to the vibrant atmosphere we create." We were looking for a laid back, sophisticated and classy establishment. What we got was crammed, loud, dark and appalling service. There was nothing vibrant about the atmosphere. Alongside this, the bar attracts a very undesirable clientele. We were surrounded by very drunk, unsophisticated idiots. It took 20 minutes to get served, at which point I was splashed with Pimms, Vodka and whatever else the bar staff were mixing. If you are looking for a classy cocktail bar, please don't go here...

2 Thank awayfromhome88
Hello,

Many thanks for talking the time to write about your experience of your visit, which I am very disappointed to read. I can only apologise that we did not live up to expectation. I would be interested to know what night you visited, if only to say that whist it is no excuse we are very busy on Friday and Saturday in particular, with between 700 and 1,000 people through the door. This should not impact on anyone's enjoyment but it is rather a different atmosphere to a weeknight, which is much more relaxed. We do have a video on our homepage that gives a fairly good impression of a Saturday night, but I am really very sorry that it was not what you were expecting.

As regards being splashed with drinks at the bar that is totally unacceptable and I would like to know if you made any representations to the bar staff or bar manager about that?

Maybe you could give me a call on 01225 46667 or email drinks@sub13.net to discuss the matter further.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“so-so!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Unfortunately we were fooled by the website and booked a booth for 17 hens and paid £50 to hire it.
The manager(?) offered to upgrade to the champagne area which unfortunately didn't have enough seating and didn't have any atmosphere, we felt 'out of the club' and may as well have been in a house! A bit claustrophobic in there too!

We did see where we were meant to sit though and would have been giving 1* if we had had to sit there!

Drinks extremely expensive, but cocktails nice. Needless to say, we had one drink and left, sacrificing our £50 and moving onto other bars/clubs close by.

Hello,

Many thanks for your feedback. I am very sorry you were not happy with the area you were moved to, it was done as a genuine attempt to make sure you had a good evening. The Champagne Lounge is usually subject to a minimum spend so we felt that it was an upgrade for your group. My business partner offered you a choice of your original room or the lounge and you chose the latter, which is on a separate area so by definition not part of the same atmosphere. Had we known you weren't happy with it we would had happily moved you to another area or offered to change the music or do whatever it took to improve your evening.

Once again I am extremely sorry for the disappointment caused, if you would like to discuss the issue further do please contact me on 01225 466667 or drinks@sub13.net.

Regards,

London, United Kingdom
“Great night made my trip to Bath.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Cracking Bar, great cocktails, friendly and knowledgeable staff.
Will definitely go back on my next trip to Bath.

Visited April 2014