“lovely lunch just off the Poultney bridge”
Review of No. 5 BISTRO - CLOSED

No. 5 BISTRO
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
“lovely lunch just off the Poultney bridge”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I visited this restaurant for lunch on a Thursday in March with two companions. The restaurant was quite happy for me to use the taste card for two of us and pay for one more.
The restaurant was very quiet because it was a week day out of tourist season but they still offered a full lunch menu.
The service was very friendly and efficient. I think we were served by the owner. We were brought complimentary bread, olives and dips whilst the starters were prepared. The food was very good. We had starters, mains and two of us had desserts. A total of 8 different dishes. The duck was perhaps a little dry, but tasted good with a really tasty salad and everything else was very nice. We finished everything and were given complimentary peach schnapps with the bill.
The restaurant has live jazz three evening a week, so we will probably come back to enjoy that.
Art lovers tip, start in the morning at the Victoria Art gallery opposite Poultney weir, (permanent exhibition is free), then cross Poultney bridge and stroll to No5 bistro, Argyle street for a leisurely lunch and then continue down to the end of Great Poultney road, past the fountain to the Holburne Museum, (also free) for a really nice day out!

Bath, United Kingdom
“Fab steak and choc ice cream!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

After having a delicious goats cheese salad to start with, I ordered the sirloin steak and asked for it to be cooked 'medium'. It came out perfect, with a well dressed salad and delicious fries. The chocolate ice cream is to die for and i will be returning!

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Disappointing unwillingness to cater for dietary needs”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My sister and I are taking mum out for a birthday meal this Sunday. I phoned the restaurant early last Wednesday evening to book a table, and advised them that mum was coeliac and lactose intolerant - Could they cater for her?! I spoke to a very friendly waitress, who took our booking, but she didn't actually confirm they could cater for mum, so I asked her to check they would be able to!! I heard her speak to the chef, who confirmed they could leave any components off the plate that she couldn't have. She was confident they could cater for starter and main. I then asked her to confirm they could offer a dessert course - It is mum's birthday after all!! She initially said no, and then suggested a fruit salad after I pushed for an effort. I asked if the chef could produce something a little more interesting - given that it was Wednesday and we're not due there until Sunday. She spoke to the chef, who said "no". I told her as it was a special birthday meal, we would have to go elsewhere. To give her credit, she did speak to the chef again, but he was clear that it was too much trouble to make the effort. Incredibly disappointing - it's not rocket science - A lazy chef in my opinion, and definitely will be recommending anyone I know to steer clear!!

1 Thank Lisa H
Anton A, Owner at No. 5 BISTRO, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Lisa H.,
First of all, I wish happy birthday to your mum, and I apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused. But as you have said in your review we would have been able to cater for celiac and lactose intolerant and offered you some options for a starter and a main. Unfortunately our chefs do not have the adequate ingredients to prepare a dessert for such needs but nevertheless we did offer you a fruit cocktail. We welcome you to come to our restaurant and bring your own cake, so maybe you will be able to write a review after actually having been here.

P.s.: I am sorry to say this, but you can't review a restaurant without having been there!!!
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great experience”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Decided to try this place after reading Tripadvisor reviews. Not disappointed. We had fillet steak and the cod and chorizo special. Both beautifully presented and tasted delicious. Service was excellent and the live jazz a bonus. Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited February 2014
“Excellent Service & Great Food”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, great tentative service along with fantastic food, freshly prepared, definitely be back.