“Worth the wait”

Ranked #202 of 587 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Curfew is a building that has seen many changes over its' near 200 years of standing. It was built in the 1820s by accomplished local architect Henry Edmund Goodridge who also built The Dispensary opposite, the nearby Cleveland Bridge, The Corridor in town and the stunning Beckford's Tower at Lansdown. In fact the novelist William Thomas Beckford appears on the original property deeds. The building was originally a bookshop before becoming a wine merchants in 1837 and eventually a public house named The Curfew Inn around 1960. The ground floor was extensively refurbished in August 2016, and whilst uniquely modern and stylish, has re-introduced the traditional high ceilings and pays tribute to the building's original features. You will find a selection of beer and ale from the Wadworth Brewery (based just a few miles away in Devizes), as well as a fine offering of carefully selected wines and spirits. On the first floor, (also extensively refurbished in August 2016, including the introduction of an additional bar) you will find a beautiful lounge to enjoy and soak up the natural atmosphere created by the high ceilings, original sash windows and imaginative decor (the huge bookshelf and 'chesterfield-esque' sofa are particularly popular features). For those wishing to spend time with friends and family in welcoming and informal surroundings, The Curfew's upstairs lounge is also available for group bookings as well as exclusive hire! And finally, a rare treat for Bathonians and visitors alike is our south facing garden, complete with terrace, to enjoy some drinks and food, al fresco style.
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I have lived round the corner from the Curfew for 30 years, but somehow never made it inside.

Last sunday, having read that a star chef had taken over the place, I dropped in around 15:00 for what I hoped would be a leisurely Sunday lunch - and I was not disappointed. You can eat in the bar, or in the restaurant room upstairs - I ate in the bar, where there is a fire. My meal was accompanied by two pints of my favourite, Waddie's 6X.

It doesn't compete on price - no £8 meal here for the works here, but it does compete on excellence: I had the roast beef for £14, came with amazing roasties, plus parsnips and 3 other veg, all deliciously prepared.
Sweet for me (god knows how I fitted it in) was pumpkin cheesecake, absolutely yumtumptious - and I don't like pumpkin.

I have given 5* for value, because of the excellence of what you get for the price - my only slight crisitcism is that I like ice cream after such a main course, and none was available.

Apparently they do a pie-and-a-pint night on Thursdays, I think I may have to call in this Thursday......

There are newer reviews for The Curfew

Reviewed 17 November 2012

There is a good deal of competition in the 'gastropub' category in Bath, with Chequers, Marlborough Tavern, King William and the Garrick standing out, but on the evidence of this visit the Curfew can rival them - and, perhaps significantly in straitened times, undercut them in price. An all-round superb meal in this revamped pub - the steak standing out. The upstairs dining room is lovely with a panoramic view over Cleveland Place from the table in the window. Service was faultless and it deserves to be a great success. It certainly adds something to the pub-life in Bathwick high street area - highly recommended.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I read The Curfew had been taken over by a hotshot young chef so we checked it out for lunch on Saturday. Gosh, some hard work had been done on the decor and the upstairs dining room no longer sported the jukebox and pool table of yore, instead being smartly refurbed in the manner of many 21st-century gastropubs. The menu offered 4 starters, mains and puds and we chose baked cod followed by plum crumble. Offered a drink, we were disappointed there was no sherry and no chardonnay, but this might well have been a consequence of the dictates of the pubco (mean-spirited enterprises that they are) rather than a policy of the new manager. Anyway, the food was delicious and the portions generous, and the service if on the slow side, attentive and courteous. Would we go back? Well of course, living in Bath we are somewhat spoiled for choice and The Curfew is on the wrong side of town for us. But we certainly wish the enterprise well and will give it a thumbs up when the conversation turns to eating out.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

An interesting menu with plenty of choice.

Both the sauce with the cod and the sweet potato were superb with subtle flavours - parsley and tarragon in the sauce and nutmeg in the sweet potato. The pigs cheek on horseradish mashed potato tasted great. I would have liked something a little sharper with the dish to compliment the meat but that didn't spoil my enjoyment.

The pudding choice was easy - treacle tart with a hint of ginger, plums and cream. Lovely.

There was plenty of food and the wine choice was reasonably varied and nicely priced. It was certainly good value.

The dining room has been nicely decorated and the tables are not too close to each other.

We shall be going again for sure.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

We had our favourite English roast dinner yet at the Curfew. Tender, delicious meat and the biggest yorkies we have ever seen!