“Delightful Dining Experience”

Ranked #219 of 607 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$8 - US$17
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Curfew is a building that has seen many changes over its' near 200 years of standing. It was built in the 1820s by accomplished local architect Henry Edmund Goodridge who also built The Dispensary opposite, the nearby Cleveland Bridge, The Corridor in town and the stunning Beckford's Tower at Lansdown. In fact the novelist William Thomas Beckford appears on the original property deeds. The building was originally a bookshop before becoming a wine merchants in 1837 and eventually a public house named The Curfew Inn around 1960. The ground floor was extensively refurbished in August 2016, and whilst uniquely modern and stylish, has re-introduced the traditional high ceilings and pays tribute to the building's original features. You will find a selection of beer and ale from the Wadworth Brewery (based just a few miles away in Devizes), as well as a fine offering of carefully selected wines and spirits. On the first floor, (also extensively refurbished in August 2016, including the introduction of an additional bar) you will find a beautiful lounge to enjoy and soak up the natural atmosphere created by the high ceilings, original sash windows and imaginative decor (the huge bookshelf and 'chesterfield-esque' sofa are particularly popular features). For those wishing to spend time with friends and family in welcoming and informal surroundings, The Curfew's upstairs lounge is also available for group bookings as well as exclusive hire! And finally, a rare treat for Bathonians and visitors alike is our south facing garden, complete with terrace, to enjoy some drinks and food, al fresco style.
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stopped by on a recent day visit to Bath and were really pleased with the overall quality. The staff were highly efficient and friendly and the food was exceptional. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.

Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

I am a regular visitor to Bath but had never thought to visit The Curfew until a friend recommended it. Its appearance from the outside is unassuming so the opulent upstairs interior was a pleasant surprise. There is a bright, open, lofty room with period features and a large window with a lovely view of Bath. I ordered fish, chips and tartare sauce which arrived in a delightful picnic hamper and tasted delicious. I was very impressed and so surprised that The Curfew had not previously come to my attention. I will most definitely go back.

2  Thank GinaG81
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Booked early as we were hospital visiting and wanted to try somewhere different and had had this place recommended. Fab pint of still cider for me, hubby happy with good beer selection. Friendly, informative staff, very clean and welcoming bar although fairly quiet. Light and airy restaurant with pretty amazing food, local and seasonal and just enough choice to know that everything was freshly cooked. I could go on! We loved it and will be back soon. Thank you!

Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

I went to the Curfew a couple of days a go with a friend, I had the Ling fillet and chips and my friend had the Goats cheese Pierogi. The Ling was battered in a nice and tender beer batter and the chips were obviously homemade and cooked to perfection, this was served with a delicious tartar sauce, this was all served in a nice little picnic basket. We weren't sure what Pierogi was but the staff behind the bar were more than helpful when we asked, it was delicious and I wish I had chosen that instead! They are little dumplings that the chef had stuffed with goats cheese, served with a beautiful carrot purée and sour cream. The service was beyond our expectation and the beer was well kept, this is definitely going to be a weekly thing for us now!

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Having dined here a few weeks ago, we decided to re-visit as the experience had been a very pleasant one. We took some other friends too confident of the quality of food & we weren't disappointed. We had various starters & mains between the 6 of us & I can personally recommend the scallops & the fish & chips as both were delicious. The people working there were helpful & attentive & I can't understand why the restaurant wasn't packed out as we had a lovely time. We can only think that people haven't been fortunate to discover it yet.

1  Thank Ladybird1760