“'Delicious food, wonderful valley view and friendly people'” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
Dorset
“'Delicious food, wonderful valley view and friendly people'”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

We visited on a Sunday evening on the way home from Bath. We had delicious food - gammon steak and hunters chicken, presented beautifully. The pub has a lovely family feel and we were made to feel very welcome. The views over the valley are absolutely stunning. We last ate at this pub 30 years ago on my husband's 21st birthday !! We will not be waiting that long again for our next visit, it was a delight !

• Visited August 2013

Somerset
“Superb Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Had lunch with my husband, probably one of the best Sunday lunches for a long time. A choice of 4 roasts and my husband had a selection of Turkey and Ham, all with Yorkshire puddings, roast and new pots and 3 veg even had a gravy boat.
The lunch was very hot and well cooked. Dessert was equally as good sticky toffee pud for me and Eton Mess cheesecake for him.
This is our first visit since the pub has had new management, well done to you for a lovely lunch, we will be back.

• Visited August 2013
Pennard, United Kingdom
“Friendly, good food, top old pub with a wonderful view.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

We visited with our motorhome en route to Portsmouth.
Staff couldn't have been more welcoming.
We ordered 2 sirloin steaks with a bottle of wine for £20!
Can't go wrong. Steaks cooked to perfection in this lovely quiet little pub.
The views over the valley are idealic.
What a great little find. Food quick, yummy and plentiful.
We even had a fly past by the Red Arrows!
Highly recommended. ;)
Thanks for your hospitality.
See our photos of the steaks.

• Visited July 2013
Bath, UK
“A really quite wonderful evening.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

We live very close ( yards close ) to the Rose & Crown and wanted to check out the newly owned pub and its new menu. We visited on Tuesday 9th July 2013.
First big hit, was dog friendly garden and pub, our little spaniel was very happy playing whilst my Father and I enjoyed drinks. We both ordered dinner from the evening menu from the most friendly barman, he was very polite, and could not have been more helpful, he was brilliant. My Father had the rack of ribs served with spicy chicken wings on quite possible the biggest platter, it needed to be too. Laden with ribs, wings, a fresh salad, onion rings (homemade) and fries, scrummy. I ordered Hunters Chicken, with bacon and mozzarella with a great salad and fries. Again a great sized portion and both were really very good. Our pudding was a delicious Eton Mess and an old fashioned Knicker Bocker Glory. My Father and I had a wonderful evening in the garden and when I paid the atmosphere and clientele were as welcoming and warm as anyone would hope. We will definately return.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“I would highly recommend the food and friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

Excellent, very friendly atmosphere, highly recommended. Working local and have been dropping in for a pint after work, due to the friendly staff!

• Visited June 2013