“Extremely slow and not worth the wait”

Graze Bar- Brewery and Chophouse
Ranked #101 of 583 Restaurants in Bath
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Bath, United Kingdom
“Extremely slow and not worth the wait”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The decor is appealing and on a very sunny day the restaurant was light, airy, roomy and pleasant. Unfortunately the kitchen seemed to experience a total meltdown even though they were not overly busy. The starter was nice -- a very tasty cauliflower soup -- although not very large especially for the price. An hour later -- finally! -- our mains arrived. I asked for my cheeseburger medium rare and the server told me it comes medium -- in retrospect, a bad sign indicating that cooking to the customer's preference was beyond the kitchen's capability. Indeed, "medium" turned out to be overcooked. Instead of a juicy burger at this so-called "chophouse" I got a dry and overcooked burger on a dry and mealy bun. For £12.95, that's just wrong. Bath Ales, the owner of the restaurant, are a local business and I would like to see them succeed. But they need to raise their standard to an acceptable level that matches their high prices, or it's their own fault.

• Visited December 2013

• Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
“So disappointing”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

First impression was good-nice welcome,shown to a table, given menus and introduced to our waiter who was friendly and attentive. Just wanted a quick lunchtime 'bite' so we both ordered sandwiches - highly priced so expected quality- how wrong we were! Steak sandwich comprised heavy roll (poss ciabatta), overcooked meat, smothered with lashings of Dijon which rendered half the roll inedible! The chicken with tarragon mayo was basic in the extreme with no choice of brown or white bread and absolutely zero garnish with either. Slight improvement on the speed of service since my first visit a few months ago but far less busy this time. Such a shame -so much potential in terms of location and atmosphere but badly let down by the quality of food and general oganisation.

• Visited June 2014
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“I seem to have had a better experience than most!”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Came here for dinner with my girlfriend on a Monday night. Menu is a little bit small and they seemed short staffed. However, our waiter Roman was really polite, tried to be as quick as he could and the gap between courses was just right to allow conversation and let food go down without being too long. The steaks were cooked just as we asked (medium and medium rare), the chips were great and the side of veg we ordered were all fresh and cooked perfectly. The only snag really was that there was a piece of cling film or plastic on my steak (I think it may have been from the stilton butter I had on it where it been stored in the fridge or something). I showed Roman and he was very apologetic and spoke to his manager and we got one of our desserts for free. It probably is on the pricey side but we got a bottle of wine, and 2 courses for £30 a head so I've had worse. If you want dinner for a tenner go to Pizza Express. I have been to the Bristol one as well which I will concede was awful - but in my opinion this one was much better and you won't go wrong if you get Roman as your waiter.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Mike N
bath uk
“Soo slow”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We ate here on the basis of my partner's previous good experience of the food. Not this time though. We waited ages, had to remind the waiter we had not been served, and the portions when they arrived were much smaller than she remembered (I ordered what she had had before). To cap it all the bill included a bottle of wine instead of the glass we had bought. Waiter said it was an error, but we were unconvinced.
Great pity because it's a local concern and we'd like to support it rather than a multiple.

• Visited May 2014
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Looks were deceptive”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We came upon this restaurant by accident and it was a very busy Sunday. We booked a table and had a drink until we could be seated about an hour later which was not a problem. Straight away we could see that the manager was under great pressure, trying to keep every table serviced. They were so short staffed it was not funny. We ordered the Sunday lunch, my husband had the beef and he was informed that the beef is served rare, 'just how I like it!' He replied, however when it finally arrived, it was obviously under the hot plate so long hat the beef had cooked through! So it was now well done! My lamb roast was average and suspiciously like the lamb chop option, even though I was told it was roast lamb!!! I had to keep my coat on throughout my meal as both doors to the balconys were open so the draft went straight through, we did ask to be moved but unfortunately they did not have another table to move us to. A note to the owners.... The manager was magnificent under pressure but even he couldn't cope with the customer/staff ratio which was grossly understaffed.

• Visited May 2014