“Go for the cream tea!”
Review of Barton's Tea Rooms - CLOSED

Barton's Tea Rooms
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Good little menu, friendly and not quite as touristy as most in Bath. Warm welcome. Couldn't decide on what to have so went for cream tea so you get two scones and two (not very) small pieces of cake. You get to choose your cake and type of jam. Cake was superb and all in all very good value. Soup comes with cheese scone if you would prefer which looked fab too. Would definitely go back next time we are in town.

There is more room upstairs if you think looks full.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I chanced upon this tea room by accident when visiting the city. I am a former resident & remembered the building in its former guise as The Walrus & Carpenter - in fact they still have the two characters depicted in a stained glass window above the door.

I was immediately welcomed and invited to choose a table. I was initially the only customer in the room, but not for long and I didn't feel uncomfortable.

I chose a breakfast tea (all are loose leaf) and a pain au chocolat. The tea was spot on (& I'm very fussy with my tea!) - full of flavour, lovely & hot and no odd after taste or tang. The pain au chocolat was slightly warm and so deliciously light. I was in heaven! The cost of the two items was just £3.80.

I visited the basement toilets which consist of one ladies and one men's (am making an assumption re the gents as I didn't venture inside!). The ladies was quite small and dark - typical of several such basement toilets in Bath tea shops/restaurants. They were nice & clean and the hand drier worked, so no complaints! I like the quirkiness. I wouldn't imagine that anybody with a mobility problem would be able to access them however.

I can't wait to visit this tea shop again. It's a little out of the way but very easy to find between the Theatre Royal and Queen Square.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

found this tearoom by accident and what a nice accident it was.
A PROPER CUP OF COFFEE with complimentary glass of water (it was a very hot day) i had the best cheese scones ever, served with chutney.My mother who knows her cakes said the sponge was wonderful. The service was quick, cheerful and respectful. Visiting the loo was an adventure!!

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stopped for tea and cake at this lovely tea room on the strength of the previous reviews and it really exceeded expectations. The cakes were all home-made including a great gluten-free fruit cake which arrived warm as it had just been baked. The waitress who served us also could not have been more helpful and friendly. I'd thoroughly recommend it as a delightful alternative to some of the more touristy options in Bath.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

What a delight, the service was friendly and we had fabulous smoked salmon sandwiches followed by carrot cake, both were delicious, all made on the premises.