“Worth a visit”

Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Seating
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

If visiting The Circus and The Crescent this is a tea room worth calling into. The small frontage hides tables upstairs and in the cellar. Delicious cakes, especially carrot and the cake of the day citrus and a lovely cup of tea and sharp old fashioned lemonade.

• Visited February 2014

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Favourite tea rooms in Bath”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

We are from Manchester and found this lovely place last summer on a visit to Bath. On our return this week, we sought out Barton's and brought our family with us. A wonderful pot of tea and fabulous scones with delicious raspberry preserve and thick cream, very good indeed. Other cakes sampled included the brownie and the victoria sandwich all to rave reviews. So thanks and see you soon.

Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Inadequate”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Such a rip off. We ordered 2 sandwiches, both £4 and described as "mature cheddar with red onion marmalade" and "Wiltshire ham with whole grain dressing". Very disappointed with what arrived.. Shop bought small rolls, tiny bits of grated cheese, the ham sandwich had one thin slice of ham, no mustard, no butter! For £4 it just felt like such a rip off. There are lots of nice cafes and tea rooms in Bath and this place can't count themselves among them - definitely not if it plans to just rip people off.

• Visited January 2014
Chester
“Go for the cream tea!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Good little menu, friendly and not quite as touristy as most in Bath. Warm welcome. Couldn't decide on what to have so went for cream tea so you get two scones and two (not very) small pieces of cake. You get to choose your cake and type of jam. Cake was superb and all in all very good value. Soup comes with cheese scone if you would prefer which looked fab too. Would definitely go back next time we are in town.

There is more room upstairs if you think looks full.

• Visited November 2013
Midlands
“Fantastic Tea & Pain Au Chocolat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I chanced upon this tea room by accident when visiting the city. I am a former resident & remembered the building in its former guise as The Walrus & Carpenter - in fact they still have the two characters depicted in a stained glass window above the door.

I was immediately welcomed and invited to choose a table. I was initially the only customer in the room, but not for long and I didn't feel uncomfortable.

I chose a breakfast tea (all are loose leaf) and a pain au chocolat. The tea was spot on (& I'm very fussy with my tea!) - full of flavour, lovely & hot and no odd after taste or tang. The pain au chocolat was slightly warm and so deliciously light. I was in heaven! The cost of the two items was just £3.80.

I visited the basement toilets which consist of one ladies and one men's (am making an assumption re the gents as I didn't venture inside!). The ladies was quite small and dark - typical of several such basement toilets in Bath tea shops/restaurants. They were nice & clean and the hand drier worked, so no complaints! I like the quirkiness. I wouldn't imagine that anybody with a mobility problem would be able to access them however.

I can't wait to visit this tea shop again. It's a little out of the way but very easy to find between the Theatre Royal and Queen Square.

Highly recommended.