“Cotswald Tour”
Review of Lion Tours

Lion Tours
Ranked #4 of 58 Tours in Bath
More attraction details
Owner description: Launched in 2013 and drawing on 10 years of guiding experience we offer fun, small group, fully guided day tours to Stonehenge and the Cotswolds for independent travellers. Early departures to beat the crowds and Stonehenge Inner Circle Special Access tours a speciality.
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cotswald Tour”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We did the full day Cotswalds tour with Paul as our driver/guide. It was an excellent day and Paul is a very good guide. The stops were pleasant and the selection of both places to eat good quality and reasonable. Not much opportunity for shopping on the tour which was a positive for me and less so my wife :-) Paul adjusted the tour for 2 visitors keen to see the location of some scenes from Harry Potter movies - which was also a pleasant little town. Overall a very enjoyable experience and to be recommended.

1 Thank DWOR169

Sleepy Hollow, New York
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Tour of Stonehenge using Lion”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Toured Stonehenge and Lacock village (site of scenes and settings for part of the Harry Potter films). The tour at Stonehenge was a bit fast due to time constraints but it was interesting but, really a bit over rated in my view. While it has been there for 5000 yrs plus what is know, apparently, about Stonehenge is mostly all just conjecture. They have built a new visitors center which seems rather nice. The visit to Lacock was really quite nice and is rather representative of a period small English village. No electric poles for example. The real highlight of the tour was really the bus driver as he carried on an ongoing dialogue about the history of the areas in which we were driving as well as information about Stonehenge and Lacock village during both the drive out and back from Stonehenge. His delivery was very good and very interesting. For example the village was given to the gov't in 1944, after having been in the same family for 600+ yrs, in lieu of taxes. The gov't in turn gave it over to the National Trust.

Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Full Day Cotswold Tour”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My sisters and I took this tour in June and want to thank Paul (guide/driver) for a wonderful day. Before the tour started Paul informed us where we were going and asked if anyone had somewhere in particular that they wanted to see.

As we were driving along Paul told you all about the area that you were driving through, which also made the tour interesting as I had never been to the Cotswolds before. He had a microphone on so you could hear him easily unlike other tours that I have done and you struggle to hear the guide.

Paul walked with you through the villages and explained the history and other interesting facts (like if movies had been made) that related to the particular villages. Paul was very approachable & I asked questions as we walked through the villages and being a local he was a wealth of information. We were taken into the garden of one local resident in Castle Combe which I assume isn't on most tours. The house under renovation and garden were amazing.

Paul also bought some "lardy bread" for us all to try.

As the tour was in a mini bus it meant that we could do to places where the large tour bus cant access as some of the lanes were so thin.

I would recommend this tour to anyone and should I ever get to this area again would do the same tour and others with Paul and Lion Tours.

Melbourne, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Tour1 Stonehenge and Lacock morning with Paul”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We were picked up at the very convenient location near our hostel (quite central in Bath) by Paul in a clean comfy small bus. Paul was an excellent guide and being a local added in that extra charm you would not normally get from the larger generalised tours found elsewhere. We loved the local and national trivia along with the beautiful locations we were taken too after Stonehenge. We were also very lucky to have been able to pop by a local pottery makers workshop of which we were treated to the making of bowls along with some interesting history. Highly recommend this tour above other similar tours for the more personal touch Paul adds to the locations chosen.

Frisco, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Full Day Cotswold Tour - like travelling with a friend”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My mom and I took the full day Cotswold tour with Paul in early May, and agreed that this was the most enjoyable of several tours that we took on our trip. I think the difference is simply that Paul doesn't just take you somewhere - he actually goes with you, walking and talking as though he were taking friends for a tour of places he knows and loves . He walked with us at every stop, shared hunks of "lardy bread" that he purchased in a shop, walked around the back of the woolen mill with me so I could meet the owner's genuine Cotswold sheep, and chatted as though he was really interested in getting to know us.

This tour was also far more relaxed and flexible than others we took. Paul adjusted our itinerary due to a horse race that day, but we still visited Bibury, Castle Combe, Malmesbury and a couple of other villages - including, much to our surprise and delight, the village of Bampton, which stood in for the local village in Downton Abbey. Paul has the knowledge of a life-long local, and a warm, caring demeanor that instantly made us feel relaxed and comfortable. We also enjoyed the company of a guide-in-training, whose name I unfortunately cannot recall, who had an impressive knowledge of English history.

All in all, we had a delightful day and would happily have spent another day with Paul and Lion Tours if we'd had more time.

Visited May 2014