“Disappointing”

Ranked #8 of 583 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$13 - US$45
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Open seven days a week for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner, Clayton's Kitchen at The Porter, is the culinary home to The Porter's resident chef Rob Clayton. Rob has previously gained a Michelin star at Hunstrete House and another at Bath Priory. Delicious seasonal dishes using the freshest quality ingredients are the inspiration for Rob's menus. This, coupled with the restaurant's friendly, relaxed vibe and carefully chosen wine list, makes Clayton's Kitchen at The Porter a favourite whether you are a die-hard foodie, dropping by for a casual bite to eat or simply picking up some treats from the Clayton's Kitchen range. Rob began perfecting his art in 1988 at Ménage à Trois London, achieving his first Michelin star aged just 25 as head chef at Hunstrete House Hotel. He remains one of the youngest chefs ever to do so. Rob gained a second Michelin Star as executive head chef at the Bath Priory. Since then his work has continued to achieve high praise, winning Pub Company Menu of the year and Food Champion of the Year.
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I am sure some of you will relate to the experience of being in a group where the others have chosen the venue. I was sent the menu in advance and was somewhat taken aback by the prices. So I opted for the cheapest which was a soup and bangers and mash. The soup billed as Green pea and truffle didn't taste of anything in particular and Mr Parsons sausages were certainly meaty on some very liquid mashed potato. These two small dishes set me back £21. Add in a glass of wine, a beer and coffee and my bill came to over £40. The service was charming and the ambience very nice. Just my fault for being in the wrong company. I am sure there are many people richer than me who would be quite happy but for me this was poor value for money.

3 Thank GSS80

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Awesome food...not quite so sure about the coffee”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

If you are in Bath you MUST eat here. The very highest quality food, great ambience, warm and friendly staff. We understand the chef has won Michelin stars in other restaurants (it shows!).

The coffee though? It's of course a very personal thing but just too bitter for me.

Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Piggy Platter Dessert.”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

If you're a dessert lover like me the this is dessert heaven.
We had the most fabulous meal, all courses were outstanding. Generous portions, hot, delicious which I can't fault. But the platter of puddings, for two, would feed an army!!! Is just perfection.
I also had an amazing champagne cocktail with rhubarb and bitters. It was very busy as it was Graduation week so restaurant was full. I found the service to be of an excellent standard, helpful, informative, swift, discreet, polite and charming.
If I could afford to I'd move to Bath so I could frequent this wonderful establishment every week.
Thank you to all at the Porter for a lovely evening and fabulous food.

Bath, United Kingdom
“Well presented, tasty dishes - and that was just Hector and Dave!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Seriously, we had the most delicious lunch at this place yesterday. It is so good that the whole building has been put to such good use too, on all storeys.
I had the sole with saffron which sat on a decent pile of crushed new potatoes, plus the most perfect light and creamy sauce to go with it. My friend had the rack of lamb and I've never known him so quiet.... We then tucked into a dessert each: mine was lemon meringue 'pie' - albeit not a pie but a display that almost looked too good to eat - and my friend had the chocolate mousse with caramelised oranges which he didn't think would work as a combination but it did. The wine list is impressive but not too long nor complicated, and my friend enjoyed the tempranillo, the house red.
Altogether a very pleasant experience on a hot summer's day. We didn't feel the need to be outside because all the many doors it has were all open and it is all very light and spacious.
We found it good value because it had a set menu, and we also thought the toilets were nice and welcoming and clean......which should not be overlooked !
I shall definitely be taking other friends and family there, and am looking forward to seeing how cosy it will be in the winter as a venue as well.
We thought it could have been a bit busier, but then discovered on the way out of town that it was graduation day in Bath. This always means that parents book restaurants near and around the Abbey and Guildhall where it all takes place, but how lazy are they not to venture a few extra paces up Milsom Street and find this lovely eaterie!

York, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic! The service was great and very friendly. Food was delicious and didn't take long at all. It was a great atmosphere. The interior was modern and welcoming. Overall such a lovely evening!