“Make sure you fit the bill!” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Hobgoblin
Ranked #21 of 44 Nightlife in Bath
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Make sure you fit the bill!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Myself,Friends and family (aged between 30 & 50) decided to visit Bath, for some of us a regular event but for the family members a first. As we all enjoy our real ales we thought our own attempt at the "Bath half marathon" (13 halves in 13 different pubs) would be a great way to visit some great pubs, try some great ales, see the city and have some fun.
We started at two in the afternoon and had a great day until some 8 hours later we entered the 13th and final pub, The Hobgoblin.
Seven adults who had drunk 6 pints in 8 hours, and eaten,(hardly excessive drinking) entered and ordered our last round of halves, only to be informed that we were being refused on the grounds of being drunk! Had this been the case I would have happily put my hands up and walked away, but it wasn't and I initially thought he was joking but the stern glare I received confirmed otherwise!
What really annoyed me was the fact that the majority of KIDS that were being served at the bar were drinking anything but ale, quickly and in volume which was obviously acceptable, where as 7 mature adults ordering halves of ale in an ale pub is obviously deplorable behaviour!
I know this may sound like sour grapes but the double standards shown indicated that fuelling kids with mass produced chemical liquid takes far more precedence than visitors asking for half a pint of ale! What a shame when the pub carries such a great ale name.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank Pip140267

Devon
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great staff and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

Ok, it looks a bit rough, but the staff and clientel and great. Just as student/biker/rocker pubs used to be. Good beer and just really friendly. Hunt it out and get in there for an evening

Visited December 2012
3 Thank harleegirl
London, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Wobblin' after a Hobgoblin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

From the outside, this pub looked a little bit creepy. Nevertheless, we thought we'd give it a go. There were Halloween decorations up and they had rock/metal on the jukebox. Fantastic! A pint of Hobgoblin later, we were sat downstairs (in the crypt) admiring the past gig posters that covered all the walls. Different atmosphere and different music to most other pubs in Bath. We loved it!

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Leah S
Bristol, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“A good little freindly pub”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Relaxed atmosphere and good pint of cider. Good music and a nice change from some of the slightly stuffier bath pubs, I always grab a drink here where traveling through.

Visited April 2011
3 Thank Ewan M
Durham
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 172 helpful votes
“Rocking for Rockers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

I went in as Hobgoblin is my fave beer and thought it would be an authentic old fashioned oldies real ale bar. Walking past the Goths and punks at the door, I began to realise I was wrong. Inside there is loads of goblins and devils and loads of great tunes on the juke box (if you like metal and rock). I had the “Beesting” Cider, which was very odd. It made my lips tingle. Goodness knows what was in it. It’s an amusing goth bar with “The Crypt” Downstairs and loads of posters from rock bands on the wall. Not really for you if you don’t like metal and can’t stand Goths! Mainly a young crowd from Uni, but all pleasant guys. We liked it.

Visited September 2011