“FANTASTIC”

Ranked #90 of 160 Bath B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“FANTASTIC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

My four night stay with friends here was awesome. Rita was friendly and helpful from the time we arrived, all at different times and from different countries. Breakfast each day was wonderful with a huge choice, delicious and SO SO worthwhile.
Rita was very helpful with advice on the local spots to visit and how to reach the venue for the wedding we were all in Bath attending.
I would definitely recommend this house to others because of the owner, location and food. I would LOVE to return to Bath and would hope to stay in this house again.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room at the back of the house but heard NO complaints from friends staying in other ro...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

Have very recently stayed at this guest house with my mum for a three night stay. We went specifically for the Christmas Markets which are definitely worth a visit. Now knowing that the markets were on we expected that there would be a lot of traffic. That is the understatement of the century. It took us an hour to travel two miles! Once in the city however our sat nav appeared to get a bit lost so we thought to ring the Land lady Rita to get some directions. Straight to answer machine. I decided to park in a long stay car park as I was really getting fed up with all the traffic and needed a break. We called again. Straight to answer machine. Got on the website with my blackberry and found another number to call. This also went straight to answerphone!!. Surely someone running a B&B who is expecting guests should have some means of talking to them!? I then decided to email her. Maybe her phones were down? No reply. Decided to walk about a bit and see if we could find it. We asked directions but we took a wrong turning. I then tried again to call as after our 5 hour journey I was getting very tired and hungry. Finally this time someone answered! Yay!

Told her who i was and where we were. Luckily it turned out we were in the car park right behind her house so not far at all. However before she would give me these directions she did put blame on my end for not being able to be put through! I'm tired and all i want is to find where I'm sleeping. I don't want a lecture on why my phone doesn't work!

Finally once we got there we did not get the warm greeting that most people seem to talk about. If anything we did not receive any welcome at all. She wanted to go out and it was our fault that she was late for whatever. She gave us a key for room 4 and we were told it was above the dining room. And that was it. We were left to our own devices.

Room 4 is a twin bedroom which was fine for what we wanted. Small like most people comment on the rooms but not too bad. It did overlook the main road however which didn't bother myself but it did keep my mum up throughout the night. There did also appear to be some problem with the heating as it was unbearably hot in the room. Even turning the heating off didn't solve it. Bathroom was clean and the shower wasn't bad. There is however a loud pump which whenever you flush the loo makes plenty of noise which you think might wake the house!

Breakfast was OK. Breakfast is served between the hours of 8:30am and 9:30am. This suited us nicely as we didn't want to be up majorly early. We came down around 9:10am. We helped ourselves to a nice little buffet of cereal and fresh fruit. My mum had to wait 10 minutes to be asked for tea however. Considering we were one of the last ones down for breakfast they should of been expecting some more guests down. The girl brought the tea and left. No offer to take our order. Finally Rita the land lady came in to take our order. Her way of taking orders i find is odd and rude. 'Whats going on?'....erm well i would like the scrambled eggs please was my response which seemed to satisfy her.

Parking - Rita will give you a permit for parking but beware its not guaranteed and it is on the busy roads. After finding we were already parked behind her house in a long stay car park we chose to just pay the £8.40 each day. Firstly because we didn't want to have to battle our way about the town again. Secondly we were close enough to leave things in the car and not worry about finding room in the bedroom.

Overall, the B&B is perfect for location but i did not find any hospitality here what so ever.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the house to avoid the sound of traffic.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank LexieRose
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

We stayed at this guest house for 2 nights in November whilst visiting the Bath Christmas Market, which was reflected in the higher cost of the room. The guest house is a smallish Victorian town house typical of the type, and has 6 bedrooms. We were in room 6 in the roof extension, a very small and compact room just big enough for a double bed and not much else, although it did manage to squeeze in a flat screen TV, and tea and coffee making facilities. The ensuite shower room was roomy enough, although one or two fixtures and fixings need some attention, such as the insecure shower head and the loose WC seat. The room, linen, towels, etc were all clean and of good quality.

Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and there was a good choice including the traditional 'full English', cereals, juices etc. The centre of Bath is an easy 5 -10 minute walk away. The owner was helpful in her advice on where to walk, location of restaurants, etc and the residents parking permit provided saved us the £16 it would have cost to park in the nearby public car park for 2 days.
Overall this is good value accomodation for exploring the historic city of Bath.

Room Tip: Room 6 is small, but the owner said all the rooms are similar.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Cornwall
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed here for two nights with my partner just to chill out and see a bit of Bath. We were given a parking permit to park for free and were lucky to find a parking space nearby. Rita was very friendly and helpful. We didn't have any complaints about the service or cleanliness and the breakfast is very nice, lots of choice and more coffee/tea and toast is offered should you want it. The location is excellent for looking around the city, only a 5 minute flat walk into the centre where there are loads of things to do and see, lots of restaurants, pubs, café's and shops. The only disappointment for us really was the size of the room, it was extremely small, no where to put your bags without tripping over them. The bathroom too was very small. Our room was at the front which, as it is on a very busy main road, was very noisy. This didn't bother us because of the time of year, we kept the windows shut but may bother some people. Having said that the rooms are clean and the bed very comfortable. We enjoyed our stay but do think it is slightly over priced for the size.

• Stayed November 2012
midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

Just arrived home after a lovely stay in Bath with my mum.. Rita was a very friendly host and her B & B is a great place to stay with comfortable beds, immaculately clean, and a great breakfast to start the day. We also had a parking permit off her and being located 5 mins flat walk into the city centre, this meant we could park up and not have to use the car again.
Bath city is beautiful with beautiful buildings and its history of the roman baths. We did the roman baths tour as well as trying out the thermal baths which were superb and very relaxing.The walking tour which meets at 10.30am and 2.30pm outside the roman baths, which is free, yes free, is a must. It gives you lots of info about the city and the guide who was a police man was brilliant and brought the city to life for us with his knowledge of the city years ago.
I recommend staying at the crescent guest house and will without a doubt be coming back to stay with my husband, so he too can experience the majic of Bath. Brilliant !

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

Rita is an excellent host and we had a great time. She had many suggestions for places to eat and things to see and was very interested in our experiences. The breakfasts were worth the stay.

We actually stayed here in June of 2011 but I just joined TA so I'm catching up.

Don't miss renting a bike and touring the country.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

This was a pleasant but slightly disappointing stay on the first night of a fortnight's walking trip. I have no criticism of the welcome, general cleanliness (but see below), location or comfort of the room or the breakfast. It was conveniently located for the city centre and for the start of the Cotswold Way. The communal breakfast table, encouraging interesting conversation (in my case, with visitors from across the pond), and the bowl of complementary Foxes mints in the hallway were nice touches. I can recommend the pub just along the road (The Hop Pole - to the west) for local beer and cider, food, friendly staff and general ambience.

However, overall I thought this guest house sufficiently unexceptional for the charge of £70 for a single room, considering what I experienced elsewhere for almost 30% less, and I am unclear that this can be fully explained by the Bath factor. There was also quite a strong drain-type smell after using the shower which is reflected in my rating for cleanliness.

Accordingly, since there is no rating of "good", I am afraid that I have to go for "average".

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo