“Lovely little find” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #91 of 192 Bath B&B and Inns
Hertfordshire
“Lovely little find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Lovely little guest house. Spotlessly clean. Great location. Rooms are small but have everything you need. Comfy beds, crisp linen & nice and warm. Breakfast is first class. Rita is a friendly helpful lady with a great sense of humour. We would not hesitate to stay again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We wanted somewhere fairly reasonable to stay in Bath for the weekend and this fitted the bill, easy walk into town centre. Rita the landlady friendly, helpful (telling us where we could find the restaurants we had booked into) and has a good sense of humour.... she was genuinely interested in where we had been and where we had eaten. The room, on the small side (but we are use to this as we frequent Paris etc) was very clean and fulfilled what is needed in a B & B. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets crisp and clean,although we were there during a warm period and therefore kept the window open. This resulted in a disturbed night, by traffic as the guest house is on a busy road . Nothing that can be done by the proprietor and suspect the back rooms are much quieter. However it should be noted there was a good stand alone fan in the room which could have been used and the windows shut, this does cut a fair amount of the street noise out. The bathroom is clean and adequate. The breakfasts are very nice, the fresh fruit is obviously prepared each day...and the full English is cooked fresh for each customer oh and not forgetting the good strong coffee. All in all a good B & B

Room Tip: Might be worth asking for back room if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

Bath is such a lovely city and it was great to stay in such a convenient location with everyhting in easy walking distance. The guest house is attractive, clean and comfortable. Of course in such a building one does not expect large rooms but the space was adequate. Breakfast was excellent.
Our hostess was very friendly and helpful. A great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

We had chosen this place for my 40th bday stay in Bath, we have stayed in Bath before but it was quite far out from the city centre.

This place was very close and I would describe our stay as ' Excellent met all our needs and nothing too much trouble '

Rita had several emails from my partner re my bday and decorating the room this was all done she even put chocolates in the room for my bday!!
We had a car pass for free parking close by the b&b and the room and breakfast was perfect for us. Thanks Rita it was lovely to meet you.

• Stayed June 2013
South West, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

We booked this guest house online for a one night stay. Now, I know Bath is pricey when it comes to B&B's but honestly, £90 for this?

We were asked upon booking to confirm our expected time of arrival, I emailed to advise that we were hoping to arrive at approximately 2pm. I did not receive a reply at all so took this to be acceptable. The day before our arrival I had a call from Rita, the proprietor, to ask us to be no later than 2pm as she wanted to go out. Ok, fine. I realised during the drive to Bath that I had been left a voicemail on my phone, hadn't heard it ring. It was Rita, wanting to check what time we were arriving (we had been told just 24 hours earlier not to be late) as she was out and running late. However, if we knocked loud enough on a side door someone should hear it and let us in. So, we arrived about 2.10pm, I thought I would knock the front door anyway as she may be back by now. Rita was indeed in and if looks could kill! She was in fact entertaining family, not out at all. I get the feeling she didn't want us going through the front and interrupting her get together, we were told that she hadn't seen them in five years, to go and park (using the permit she gave us) and to come back "quick" as she needed to go out- again- although I thought she was out and running late? We duly parked and returned with our bags and were told where to find our room. She also mentioned that the shower was set correctly for pressure and temperature and not to tamper with it, I thought that was down to a matter of preference but didn't dare question it.

The room itself was exceptionally small, no room to swing the proverbial cat. I feel it should be a good sized single, not a double. The bathroom was fine, although see note above about the shower. It was clean with tea & coffee making facilities and complimentary biscuits.

Early evening I needed to iron a blouse so went in search of Rita to ask about this. I was told that yes, I could iron my blouse, but again I needed to "be quick" as she need to go out- again- and she couldn't have people standing around. (Not enough room in bedroom). By this point I was starting to feel like one big nuisance to be honest and not made to feel welcome whatsoever.

Despite some road noise we slept well as the bed was very comfortable. The following morning we went down to breakfast to find one large table where everyone is to sit. Fine if you are extroverted and enjoy early morning conversation with complete strangers, however, myself and my partner are quiet people by nature and I found this set up rather uncomfortable. Breakfast itself was very good, nice selection and cooked well although it did take a little while.

To be honest I was grateful we only stayed one night, I couldn't leave quick enough. In all fairness Rita was a lot more friendly the following morning but this seemed to be for the benefit of the other guests rather than us, maybe she just didn't like the look of us?

Bath is a wonderful place to visit and we have been many times and stayed in some fantastic places for the same sort of money. I know Bath demands a premium but feel that this place is way overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank goatie80
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stayed for two nights with several friends. Had two rooms a twin and a double. The rooms were very small, no where to put bags had to keep stepping over them. In the twin room the bathroom door would not open from the outside, force with my shoulder opened it, there was a terrible noise from the taps everytime they were turned on, there was also a smell of drains from the bathroom sink. The beds were fairly comfortabke and overall the room was very clean, however when the rooms were 'cleaned' the bed was not made, the bins not emptied and cups cleaned and tea and coffee not replenished, my friends in the double room had to ask for toilet roll!!!!!.
The breakfast was dissapointing and very over hyped, the bacon was very dry, the potatoes were hard and some of the toast was only cooked on one side.
The location was fairly good and approximately ten minutes walk from the town centre.
We was told we had to pay after one nights stay as Rita the landlady woukdnt be around when we left. We kindly agreed however Rita was there when we left.

Room Tip: Rooms very small
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank monners1975
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

We only had one night here but we enjoyed our stay. Its in a great location, just five minutes from the centre of Bath.

The room was very clean with nice touches. The breakfast was included and very good. Just don't ask if you can use the iron in the morning! My partner needed it before work and was told "do you have to do it now"!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business