“Great for a short break near Bath”

Bailbrook House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great for a short break near Bath”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The hotel has been recently refurbished and the rooms (we had one of the executive types) are quite luxurious with king sized beds and very up to date facilities. Made for a very comfortable experience and we would have been happy to stay for more than the one night we had booked. The hotel is easy to find and only a 30 minute stroll from Bath city centre (albeit down a busy main street). So its a good idea to leave the car in the spacious car park and get some exercise.

Our only slight quibble is with the eating and drinking arrangements. The hotel has two restaurants - one described as high end and the other as a brasserie. We ate in the brasserie and found the food to be OK with typical brasserie dishes like fish and chips/ sausages and mash. However, the wine list did not match the food - it was definitely high end with only one bottle under £30. Who wants to wash down fish and chips with a £30 plus bottle of wine? I think the hotel needs two different wine lists in order to better suit their two restaurants and to cater properly for their customers. Service however was excellent with more than enough staff to look after everyone.

I think it would have been useful for the menus for both restaurants to be included in the hotel information packs available in the rooms. That would make it easier for customers to decide where to eat - and perhaps get more custom for the high end restaurant.

1 Thank MikeP47
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments about the team.I have noted your comments about both the wine list and having menus in the bedrooms.It is out intention to soon print a thorough guide to our bars and restaurants which will include menus.We wanted to run for a few months to make sure we had an opportunity to review all customer feedback and then make any changes before we went to print.Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Jonathan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Finnish first
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We had a two night deal at Bailbrooke on a whim mainly because we wanted to visit Bath again and we really surprised. It is a luxurious hotel with great restaurant and well trained, attentive staff committed to making sure you are well looked after and able to really get a luxury hotel experience. From the check in, the room, the Cloisters restaurant is was near impossible to fault and an example of how hotels should be run. And whilst it is 2 miles from Bath it is a very pleasant walk along the canal or a short drive or taxi run. And you can even take a boat trip.

Room Tip: The named rooms are the nicest.
1 Thank paddysinclair
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay.Thank you too for your kind words about the team,I will make sure that they see a copy of your review.On a final note I totally agree with you about the walk along the canal - very pleasant indeed.

Hope to see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I booked this hotel for the long weekend for just one night. With 4 stars and only £150 for the night I wasn't expecting anything amazing but was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful this hotel was. the exterior is lovely and grand and the breakfast was really good too! Plus the rooms were brand new so nothing felt dated or old.
My only complaint would be that my room was literally ready at 3:02pm. With most holidays I go on, I always try to check in before the check in time with success at least 2-3 hours before the check in time. I arrived at 2:50pm and was made to wait as my room wasn't ready. I found this quite rare..

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.It is always nice to read that our guests have enjoyed their stay and I have passed your comments on to the team about breakfast.I am sorry that your room was not ready early,I will discuss this with our housekeeping team and see how we can improve on this.

Hope to see you back at Bailbrook House soon

Funchal, Portugal
Reviewed 27 August 2013

At last... A hotel room I actually wanted to book into, not only was I happy with the room, we booked another night! Newly refurbished, staff excellent, great breakfast... note to the evening chef... Cooking oil has to be smoking hot to get the batter for the fish crispy without the goowey inside!!!!.
Great location, as you can pick up the number 13 bus to Bath City and return right outside the drive way, not worth taking the car. (21st Century Tv and Hairdryers) a nice touch.
Very happy with our stay, and would look out for offers again here. Lovely main house, doesn't have the formal Hotel feel.
The only thing we were amazed about, is that there is a statement in the hotel information that says it does not encourage people to tip toe down the corridors. How stupid is this statement, we all have met the couple who decide to bang there doors numerous times at midnight.

Room Tip: Make sure the room you have is not on the walk way to the breakfast room, I suspect it can be quite...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay.I agree with you about the boat trip, it is a fabulous way to enjoy some of the scenes of Bath.I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Just had a weekend in this great hotel. Everything was of a really high standard. The rooms were of a high quality, loads of space and a really comfy bed.

Were told about the boat trip into Bath when we arrived and it made a perfect start to our day in Bath City Centre.

1 Thank Will A
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. I could not agree more about the boat trip- what a fabulous way to see some of the sites of Bath.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Where do I start, we had a fantastic stay here. The hotel staff were brilliant, they couldn't do enough for us. We were totally pampered.
The hotels refurbishment is exquisite, and so was the food. We ate in both restaurants, the cloisters was a little expensive but as a treat it was worth it.
When staying in bath this hotel is a must.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.Wow, I could not have written a better review myself ! thank you so much.The staff will be very pleased to read your review.Once again thank you and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

From start to finish are stay in this hotel was an amazing experience. The staff couldn't have been nicer and the room was that nice we didn't want to leave it. If I had to pick one little thing it was the breakfast was very slow coming out. Then again it was a busy bank holiday weekend. Saying that it didn't bother us at all as everything else was so good, including the food.

We will be back.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I really do appreciate your comments about your stay and the team, they have all worked very hard since we opened so they will be delighted to read you review - thank you. I have noted your comment about breakfast ; the bank holiday weekend was our busiest weekend since we opened and following a review of the weekend we have made some changes to improve speed.

Once again thank you