“The building work is finished, hotel operating well”

Bailbrook House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 20 September 2013

All the previous reviewers will be glad to hear that the building work is finished and the hotel is looking very nice. The old part of the building has 13 bedrooms that are sold at a higher rate. The mansion house has a bar and a number of cosy sitting rooms, ideals for afternoon tea or reading. The new extension block houses most of the rooms. As annexes go, it's nicely built in traditional Bath yellow sandstone colours. The rooms are a good size with very comfortable beds. The beds have cushion topped mattresses and feather mattress toppers. so can get quite hot. The bathrooms are a fine size and have a motion detector that turns on a blue light for middle of the night loo visits. Breakfast was buffet style with a nice selection of hot and cold foods served in the Annexe. There is a restaurant in the main house that serves breakfast at an extra cost. Service is good and staff are helpful. The big USP for this hotel is parking. As any visitors to Bath will know, parking is difficult and expensive. You can park for free here and take the bus, walk or taxi into the city.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, stay in the main house. The rooms are really lovely.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,852)

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed here for a Saturday night after a party. Not cheap but neither was anywhere else in town!
The hotel is located on the Eastern edge of Bath - a pleasant 30 minute stroll if you're not in a hurry or a short taxi ride if you are. Don't stay here if arriving by train! It has a fairly ugly (exterior) new wing tacked on to a large Georgian house. Large grounds = plenty of parking. Lots of function rooms which I imagine are popular for weddings etc.
Our room in the new wing was much nicer on the inside. Huge, comfortable bed, nice bathroom with drench shower, big fluffy towels and good toiletries, tea & coffee making, mineral water and magazines. Blackout curtains helped with a good night's sleep.
Staff very attentive in the morning, found us a paper to read over breakfast, although we were each asked the same questions about 4 times. Good selection at breakfast including a very nice omelette cooked to order. Coffee was weak and fried eggs reported to be rubbery.
Too big and impersonal for e.g. a romantic break but very comfortable stay, we would return.

Room Tip: Standard room very comfortable. Lifts in new wing.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed you stay. I have noted your comments regarding breakfast. We are having a 3 month review soon looking at our breakfast operation, so your comments will be very useful. It is always good to hear that customers will return, so we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We sayed for 2 night last week and it really is a beautiful hotel, newly renovated. We had a basic room (207) overlooking the car park, but it could easily have been a superior room - especially liked the night light that came on in the bathroom so you don't have to put the big light on (nice little touch). Very good tea/coffee supplies and a small fridge with fresh milk. Bed was very comfortable. Reception staff and concierge was great, very welcoming. We only had breakfast, not dinner, but it was a really good selection. We slept really well and didn't find it noisey, but we did stay on a Monday & Tuesday night - can't wait to go back, love it :)

1  Thank Chesterfrench

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for you kind comments regarding the team, I will post a copy of your review for them all to see. Great to read to can’t wait to come back, hopefully we will see you soon

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in this lovely hotel.
The drive up to the manor house is great and the reception staff and concierge were faultless, making us feel really welcome.
Our room on the 3rd floor of the new annex was spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean, but beware if your a light sleeper as you can hear everyone walking down the corridor.
Breakfast is the problem area. We were shown to a table by the Maître d only to find someone else had been seated there 5 minutes earlier, we were moved to another table that was not fully set, gave us luke warm tea and after asking 4 different members of staff including the Maître d to change it, still took 10 minutes to get hot tea and another 10 to get the cups.
The problem is not the amount of staff (There's lots) there is no leadership in the restaurant so they all run around like headless chickens. You ask one member of staff for something a different one brings it out. This teething problem aside its a great hotel.
I was the shown the suites which are fabulous. The shower would hold 4 people !!!!, and if you can stay in the week well worth a bit of affordable luxury. Staying in the suites means you dine in the cloisters a dining area under the hotel also very nice.
The hotel is out of town but parking is free of charge. Getting into Bath costs £ 7.50 each way for a taxi, £ 2.50 each way for the No 13 bus which stops in town at the Hilton hotel (2 mins walk from the centre ) or you can catch a boat (15mins walk away) and cruise for 30 minutes into town down the river Avon. (we saw kingfishers on the river...class)
Over all a very nice hotel and a great choice For Bath if you like a quiet (No town noise), luxurious hotel room.

Room Tip: Splash out and book a suite
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.On the whole I was pleased you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast. We have experienced some very busy breakfasts recently and do need to carry out a review as we know we can improve in certain areas. Once again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Have just come back from a weekend away in the lovely city of Bath staying at the Bailbrook House having booked a couple of weeks ago to take my wife away for a relaxing weekend. On arrival at the hotel it all looked as expected lovely surroundings friendly reception staff. We stayed in an exclusive room which upon entering looked very nice. We booked for dinner in the Landsdown restaurant. Getting ready for our evening we were looking forward to getting ready in our nice spacious bathroom but unfortunately the water was luke warm in the shower and bath so that was rather rushed to say the least. We then decided to go down to the bar and a pre dinner drink, to say I was shocked by the prices of the wine was an uderstatement £7.50 or £9.50 for a fairly average wine I have paid a lot less in London. Now this is where the fun starts, on ordering our dinner we decided to have a tapas starter to share which consided of 6 olives a couple of bits of artichoke and not much else anyway pretty crap for £14.00 , I then had fish and chips fairly straight forward I thought some fish made by Captain Birdseye and half a dozen chunky chips from Aunt Bessie oh and a few bits of lettuce in a little pot (supposed to be a salad)
I asked the waiter if I could have some vinegar and kindly came up with some balsamic vinegar I said that I would rather have malt vinegar and then returned with white vinegar I said do you have any malt vinegar and he said they did not have any which I found rather amazing. The attitude of the waiter was very poor and rather aggressive so we began to feel rather uncomfotable at this time. I duly complained about my dinner to the duty manager who I must say was very helpful and I also complained about the luke warm water in our bathroom which she investigated and said that it was hot so I gave her the benefit of doubt on that one until the morning when it was still bl***** luke warm. They very kindly waivered the cost of our dinner, but I paid £188 for my stay plus £45.00 for 5 glasses of wine.so needless to say we won't be returning

1  Thank Mark H

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.I would like to discuss your stay with you in more detail and would ask that you contact me on jsquire@handpicked.co.uk with a contact telephone number so I can call you.Thank you

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed for one night in early September and drove to Stonehenge the next day. A bit of a trek but beautiful views. The hotel is in a great location and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We tried afternoon tea shortly after arriving and it was fantastic! (Definitely recommend this). We had dinner in the Lansdown Restaurant and both found the food fantastic. Unfortunately I heard another guest close to me complaining about her steak but I thought mine was brilliant.

We stayed in a Classic Room in Bailbrook Court. The room was very nice and the bed was the comfiest thing I have ever slept in. The bathroom was spacious and classy.

A few things knocked this review to four stars and are mostly niggles. The Lansdown was very quiet early on but became very busy later. The staff seemed increasingly stressed and service become noticeably slower. This meant a rather long wait for us between main course and dessert (around an hour). Our room had a bit of an odd lighting system where one "master" switch had to always be on to allow other lights to be on. This meant that to turn the lights out you had to get out of bed. Additionally, the shower temperature fluctuated from hot to cold at times.

Overall, it was an amazing experience and definitely worth the money. We will go again!

2  Thank jaimeg232

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments. I have noted your comments regarding the light switches and I have also passed them to our design team for their future use. It is always nice to read that guest will return, just don’t leave it too long!

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed at Bailbrook House for one night as we were attending a wedding down the road in Midsummer Norton. The hotel is quite simply stunning, sympathetically refurbished throughout; you can tell no expense has been spared. I love the large, light fresh feel to the reception area; the drawing rooms just off it are very much in keeping with the period of the property and have been designed with this in mind. Our bedroom 322 was very pleasant the bathroom especially was a talking point, very indulgent love the walk in shower. All in all very nice, cannot wait to return it the not to distant future.

1  Thank NickPark1984

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.It was nice to read your comments and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. I hope you enjoyed your wedding in Midsummer Norton.