“Calm and peaceful with fantastic staff”

Bailbrook House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Surbiton, United Kingdom
“Calm and peaceful with fantastic staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a visit to Bath and we can't recommend it highly enough.

The standard king room we had was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Everything about this hotel is done beautifully. The decor is tasteful and understated, the reception staff are attentive and friendly without being overbearing, the food is incredible without breaking the bank.

It doesn't scream its 4-star status. No crazy neon lighting, no giant fish tanks, no bold colour schemes. Nothing overly fancy. But every little detail is just right, and designed to make you feel relaxed.
Small details such as receiving a call within a couple of minutes of entering the room to ask if everything was to our satisfaction and if there was anything we needed. Or the restaurant staff striking exactly the right balance between friendly chat and professional service. Even the lighting in the rooms is just right. Not too bright and not too murky. It just all combines to make you feel calmed and well looked after.

I haven't even mentioned the beautiful extensive grounds, or the lovely, relaxing sitting rooms where you can enjoy tea and scones, or a quiet drink.

The final touch was after we had checked out and reached home. I realised I had left my laptop charger in the room and called to see if it had been found. Yes, they had kept it safe, and within 24 hours of calling them it had been delivered by tracked mail to my home in London.

This would be my first choice every time I come to Bath, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim E
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am delighted that you enjoyed you stay with us and thank you for your kind words regarding the team I will make sure they see a copy of your review . I am pleased that we may become your first choice hotel when visiting Bath, please don't leave it too long to come and see us again.

Jonathan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Finnish first
daveybear
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Part of a Secret Escapes deal, this was an example of how a hotel should be run after initially, a poor experience when making the reservation. I was passed to three different people before actually having a query answered.
It was so different when we arrived. The reception staff were helpful, well informed about the surround area and very courteous. We received a very warm welcome.
This is a beautiful building in lovely surroundings and whilst we were apprehensive that our room was in the annexe and it was a distance from reception, it was extremely spacious and very well equipped.
We dined in and the food was of a high quality with super, professionally delivered (but in a friendly manner) and this was matched at breakfast.
The hotel is easily accessible from the M4 and the city is a short bus ride away.
I cannot recommend the hotel highly enough and look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am sorry that you had a problem initially with your reservation, however I am pleased to read that things did improve. Thank you for all your kind words about the team and the hotel and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Jonatahn
Devon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed for two nights and really enjoyed it. The staff were always friendly but professional. Nice bits like the waiter remembering my name and that i'd had decaff coffee the evening before.

The beds are amazing too - probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. One of the waitresses told me that guests say that a lot.

Great breakfast - freshly cooked to order.

The only real downside is that it's a way out of Bath, but that of course is reflected in the price of the rooms. Paid £9+ for a taxi from Bath station, but there is a regular bus service into town. Out through the grounds, turn left and about 500m on the other side of the road. Coming back the bus stop is very close but the walk up through the grounds, while very pleasant, might be a bit difficult for some older/less fit people.

But all in all would definitely stay again or at other hotels in the chain.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank janewriting
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments regarding the team.I could not agree more about the beds, I have stayed over myself and had the best nights sleep for a while !.

Hope you welcome you back soon

Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel in a standard room in bailbrook court but was lucky enough to be shown around some of the rooms in the mansion house also. The hotel had undergone a complete refurbishment and looks absolutely amazing.

The rooms are all of really high standard, huge beds, gorgeous decoration, hot chocolate and a pint of milk in each room, lovely toiletries. The beds are really comfortable and king size.

The staff are extremely friendly, nothing was too much trouble. On check in I felt so welcomed and everything was easy. The cloisters - the fine dining restaurant - is beautifully done with exposed stone and windows over looking the city of Bath, just stunning.

The conference rooms are beautifully decorated with sophisticated equipment with options to have exclusivity of the Brunel suite.

This is the perfect hotel for a city break, conference or wedding!

Well done Handpicked, just fabulous!

Room Tip: Sleep in the mansion house if you can, they have amazing four poster bedrooms with huge bathrooms!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank wisetraveller1298
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.And wow , what a review. Thank you so much for your kind words, the team have worked hard over the last few months since we opened and it is so nice to receive your feedback.

Thank you and hope we can welcome you back soon.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving at the hotel the reception manager checked us in. She was very friendly and chatty but perhaps slightly too much. We like quick efficient service. We were then taken to our room by a very nice gentleman (Jedd)? After he left we were getting settled in our room and then the phone rang . . . It was reception checking everything was ok. I think that was excess. If there had been any problems we would have contacted them.
The room was a good size, excellent heating and air con facilities and the bed was comfortable. It was two singles pushed together but you couldn't tell. The shower was luke warm which was disappointing because it was lovely and big.
In the morning we went down for breakfast. We both had the hot buffet which was very pleasant. The waiting staff were excellent! They were very efficient and attentive.
Overall the staff were very friendly, always saying hello and nothing was too much trouble. There were a few niggles but if these were ironed out I would give five stars.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rchrisc88
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay; however I am sorry that there were a few niggles. I have noted these and will discuss them with my team. Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast and the team, I will pass them on.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

We booked a weekend here for my mother's 80th birthday celebration, having selected the hotel chiefly because it had proper disabled facilities and access for my father who is in a wheelchair (not easy to find in a city like Bath). Throughout our stay I can honestly say that every single member of staff went out of their way to be helpful, friendly and courteous. My mother has to have a gluten-free diet and the hotel restaurants catered for this superbly. We ate in both the Brasserie and the Cloisters, and of the two the Cloisters won my vote - the food really was excellent, and again the staff were superb. Yes the hotel is just outside the city so you'd need to drive in or take a taxi; our son is studying at the university and the fare cost him about £10. We'd have liked to stay in one of the rooms in the mansion house but needed to be close to my parents' room in the new section, but we'll definitely return by ourselves to do that.

Room Tip: Room 121 was fully wheelchair-accessable with a wet room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Judy W
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am very pleased that you enjoyed your weekend celebrations for your mum. Thank you for your comments regarding both restaurants and it is nice to read you had chance to eat in both. The team will be pleased that you found them helpful, friendly and courteous, I will make sure that a copy of your review is posted on our notice boards.

Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Beautiful property and excellent service. We were visiting the City (sight-seeing) as well as visiting Family; this Hotel was the perfect lace to "rest over". We were fortunate to also get to their Gourmet Evening at the Hotel's "Cloisters" restaurant - other than another excellent, there's not much left to say - oh yes, they do have a very good breakfast buffet, no matter want your taste, you'll find it at the buffet. Highly recommended

Malcolm, Kelowna, B.C. Canada

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Malcolm R
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I hope you had a safe journey back home and thank you so much for your kind words. We had several great comments about our gourmet night and I am pleased that you too enjoyed the evening.
Once again thank you