“Needs to learn from other Handpicked Hotels”

Bailbrook House Hotel
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Bath
London, United Kingdom
“Needs to learn from other Handpicked Hotels”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Having stayed at several Handpicked Hotels, this is way off the standard of others. What the hotel lacks is any charm or atmosphere, it very much feels like a conference centre.
Our visit got off to a bad start with a chaotic check in. As the room wasn't ready, we went into Bath for a few hours only to return to find our luggage had gone missing. 45 minutes later it finally arrived but the staff seemed totally disorganised.
We had dinner in the Cloisters restaurant. - a big fuss was made about how lucky we were that they were able to squeeze us in. As it happens, we were one of only 4 tables and the restaurant was silent and again lacking atmosphere. Some music would have been very welcome!
My crab ravioli was raw which I pointed out and merely got an apology, no offer of a properly cooked ravioli to replace it which was disappointing.
Overall the staff here are all very pleasant but the hotel itself was a let down. We were not sorry to leave. Having previously stayed at the Royal Crescent hotel! this pales by comparison.

1 Thank katie22211186338

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Finnish first
SEast
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The hotel is located outside Bath and as others have said, while walkable (just) if you are fit and have plenty of time, the road is not a particularly pleasant stretch, so just pay the £9 or so for a taxi and save the time. Whatever you do, don't try to drive in and park. Bath is NOT car friendly.

The hotel is in beautiful grounds with a sweeping tarmac drive up and a pretty impressive entrance. The initial impression at reception was of a bit of chaos (a common theme this Christmas Market weekend in Bath!) but the cheery receptionist was the first of many unusually helpful and friendly staff.

Our executive bedroom was in the "extension" - I think it's just suites and similar in the main building - but the extension name should not put you off. The quality and finish in the rooms is high and the building/decoration materials they have used are of a very high standard throughout. The shower lacked power, but I guess we all agree that a powerful waterfall of water is sadly a rarity in the UK!

Service in the bar was excellent.
Breakfast was the usual buffet style but high quality, and omeletes, kippers etc. were available to order at no extra charge. We did not have to wait for a table at 9.30am on Sunday. Service, as everywhere, great.
We had dinner out so can't comment.

I have the impression that they have ironed out the initial problems after the renovation so would now recommend for sure.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

What a find. We stayed in the John Eveleigh suite and it was outstanding. All mod cons but beautifully furnished. The bathroom is something else with double shower, roll top bath and Tv. In fact there are 3 tv's in all! Views to die for and staff very friendly and helpful. We ate in Cloisters Restaurant and the food was very good - although very expensive for what it is. Not sure we would eat in their again but it is in a beautiful room. Small niggle in room - management should review lighting - central light very bright but when turned off you have 3 small lamps with very low wattage bulbs. You need two more standard lamps for such a large bedroom. Overall though - great. Best Handpicked Hotel we have stayed at.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I agree with you about the John Eveleigh Suite it is outstanding with those views towards Bath. I have made a note about the lighting and I take a look. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

South Wales UK
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night this week. The package was for a double room with dinner and breakfast. The welcome from the front desk was very friendly and once registered we were shown to our room by the concierge. Pleasantness itself!! Having opened it he then proceeded to tell us all the features including a Nespresso Coffee machine with a selection of twelve pods to choose from. There is also fresh milk and bottled water - all complimentary - in the fridge. The room itself was larger than most with a couple of easy chairs in front of the TV (which incidentally included all Sky Sports at no extra charge). the bathroom was spacious and interestingly had a small light that came on in the dark as one approached the door. Very discreet! It was not enough to wake anyone else and went out after a few minutes when you left the bathroom. The hotel has a gym but nobody was using it when we were there. It also has two dining rooms. We ate in the Brasserie style Lansdowne. This was a treat in itself. Warmly greeted and although we should have had a three course table d'hôtel menu we were told we could have anything from the a la carte menu instead. We were also given a free bottle of wine as part of our package. The hotel has recently re-opened after a mega refit (Someone mentioned £12m having been spent?). It certainly shows. The bed, towels - all gave you that 'nice to sink into' feeling!! All in all excellent value for money. Would I come back? Most certainly. An I would recommend it to anyone. We parked there and took a taxi into Bath - well worth the £7 each way fare!!

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor - overlooking the fields. Very pleasant and no noise from any traffic. Y...
1 Thank paul2hoots
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.It was so nice to read you enjoyed your stay and it is always great news to read that our guests will return. I am pleased that you enjoyed our coffee machine and fresh milk, we do find that all our guests enjoy the fresh milk.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was the first time I had stayed in a Hand Picked Hotel, and I must say after my experience I am looking forward to visiting more! The service from every single member of staff was outstanding. I had only booked a standard room for our stay and I am not sure whether we were upgraded as it exceeded both mine and my mums expectations. There was ample room for the pair of us and the beds were extremely comfortable. Although the hotel is on the outskirts of Bath please do not let this put you off as it is 5 mins away from the centre and the route is very straight forward if you wish to drive. I will definitely be returning to Bailbrook House.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.Firstly welcome to Hand Picked hotels and I hope you enjoy exploring more of our hotels. It was nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you will return. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

an overall excellent stay ! food very good and very attentive service in the Lansdown restaurant ! very well situated for the center of Bath. definitely would recommend whether for business or pleasure

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind words. It is always nice to read when our guests say they will recommend us - thank you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My mum and I decided to stay at Bailbrook House for some pre-Christmas shopping and found it very hard to find any availability in town at any of the hotels or b&bs. Bath is very popular with the Christmas markets so early booking anywhere is essential.

We found the hotel very easy to locate right off the main roundabout into town but up a steep drive so noise from the road was non-existent.

Reception and all staff were courteous and friendly, very attentive without being overbearing.

Our room (classic twin) was comfy, not to hot - which is a miracle in a hotel in the winter, they always normally have them like a sauna! and was clearly new and very clean. It had a huge LCD tv with freeview, and the bathroom housed a huge bath with shower over.

The bus into town wasn't expensive and we chose to use this on both days and only treated ourselves to a taxi when laden with shopping bags and the thought of the trek up the hill was too much!

Dinner in Cloisters was very nice, although service was rather slow considering the restaurant wasn't very full. The amuse bouche was absolutely vile though! Complimentary or not, I cant eat lukewarm dishwater masquerading as pea and ham soup!! The other food I'm pleased to say redeemed them.

Afternoon tea was our main disappointment. We fancied a cup of tea and a cake rather than a full tea of sandwiches etc as we didn't want to spoil our appetites for the dinner booked that evening. This proved a challenge for the waiter who served us and told us lots of items were "off the menu" that day. We ended up with the wrong kind of tea, and freezing cold cakes straight from the fridge which weren't very nice. Better to go into town to the Pump Room or the Royal Crescent Hotel for a much nicer experience and fresh warm scones.

I would recommend this hotel as a great location for Bath without suffering the pain of parking, lovely staff and comfy rooms.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.On the whole I am pleased that you enjoyed you stay.I am sorry that we let your experience down with afternoon tea. I have spoken to our Head Chef , Peter Manners and he would like to pass on his apologies. He will review the standard with his team and discuss your comments specifically with the chef who prepared your afternoon tea. Once again thank you for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back soon.