“A lovely experience”

Bailbrook House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I stayed for a long weekend last weekend.
From the start of the stay to the end, the staff were thoroughly polite and helpful. So much so that on leaving, our car would not start and Jet, who works in reception offered his car to jump start ours. Unfortunately it didnt work, but its just an indication of how friendly staff treated guests.

The Hotel is within easy reach of the centre of Bath, the bus stop being at the bottom of the Hotel drive, but I would recommend getting a taxi back to the Hotel as the driveway upto the Hotel quite long and is very steep.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angiedawnevans
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor.It was nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the special mention about Jet.I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Jonathan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,907)

Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is a very nice hotel, easy to find just off the main road in to Bath, though just that bit too far out to walk in, unless its a lovely day and u fancy a long stroll, so need to drive. The hotel itself is well maintained and the rooms very pleasant indeed, with a nice bathroom and a very comfortable bed. The only downside was that the dining area was a bit of a trek, tucked away as far from our room as possible, not that it mattered too much, just thought it was worth a mention.

1  Thank lilj0e
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I can understand your comments about the walk in to the city; we have found that it is a brisk 20 minute walk. A taxi costs approximately £8.00 or you can take the bus which stops at the bottom of our drive.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Hi, We started our first trip in 2014, and made it down to Bath, and stayed at Bailbrook House, part of Handpicked Hotels. This is quite a large hotel, with lots of corridors, which I am not partlically good at these days, seems to have lots of Company activity in the week as well, being right on the edge of Bath.
But the rooms are good, if not a little small, for what we are used to, but well appointed and furnished well. The dining room is very well done, and breakfast is taken in a breakfast room in another part of the Hotel, the English Breakfast is very good, with very good service from the excellent staff in attendance, one guy who deserves a mention is Dan, who served us both mornings, and gave us first class service, although apparently he is not a permanent member of the staff.
Dinner in the main restaurant, good, and there was plenty of selection, on the table d hotel menu, both evenings, so no need this time, to go to fine dining.
The waiters etc again were a credit to the Hotel, and all deserve a mention, infact it was the staff which made this break a winner, including Senior Members The General Manager Jonathan Squire, made his self known, and assisted when he was called for.
So overall well done Bailbrook House a very pleasant stay, do try it.!! Paul and Joan Bennett

Room Tip: The nearer the dining room the better, it is a large Hotel, with lots of corridors

Dear Mr & Mrs Bennett

So nice to read your review and thank you for all your kind words about the team; I will ensure that they read your review. It is always nice to read when a member of the team receives a special welcome, Dan will be pleased. I hope we will see you soon.

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a winter escapes package and chose an executive room . Having stayed at other Handpicked hotels we had expectations which weren't met in terms of the grounds and the building. We would have preferred to be in the main house as our room lacked the usual character .
Having said that the staff could not have been better , everyone we came in contact with was professional and friendly. We enjoyed the evening meal and the champagne and canapés. Breakfast was average , although I did have a delicious cooked to order omelette. A hotel like this should really have more options at breakfast such as eggs benedict .

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chocolatehobbit

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am sorry that we lacked the wow factor and I understand your comments about other Hand Picked hotels and the grounds. I am pleased that you enjoyed dinner and I have noted your comments regarding breakfast. Above all thank you for your kind comments about the team, they will be delighted to read them.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

This is a very nice hotel, that has recently been sympathetically refurbished. It is however on the outskirts of Bath and visitors to the city must either drive in and park which is expensive, catch the bus which stops outside the hotel at 20 minute intervals, or if fit walk which would take a good 45 minutes.

It is set back from the old A4 on a hill in large grounds which we were unable to explore given the recent wet weather - hopefully the new owners will develop the grounds a bit and put in some walking paths. The Mansion House is impressive, set slightly apart from the more modern Bailbrook Court where the Classic and Executive rooms are. Mansion House rooms are splendid and worth spending the extra money to experience. Bailbrook Court reminded us of a very smart university campus building (it was used as an adult training centre) and also contained the restaurant where breakfast was served.

Breakfast provided a good range of the usual cereals and fruit and you could order a few items such as porridge, pancakes and omelettes cooked fresh, but the traditional cooked breakfast was a buffet kept warm under lights. Unfortunately food left out too long did become hard and inedible, and my wife's breakfast was replaced with freshly cooked when we complained. This was the only fault we found and I hope that the management can find a better solution as we would expect a freshly cooked meal from a hotel of this class.

We had a very good deal from Hand Picked who own the hotel, giving us a Deluxe room in the Mansion House with breakfast and dinner for under £200 a night. Dinner included canapés and champagne beforehand and a three course meal in the Cloisters restaurant from a table d'hote menu which had sufficient variety and changed a little each evening. The food was of a high standard and we thoroughly enjoyed each meal. The Cloisters made for an unusual setting and would be lovely in summer.

Our room was large and well appointed with everything we needed, including a large comfy bed. The bathroom was modern and lacked a walk-in shower that we prefer, but the upside was a waterproof TV in the bath - a bit decadent! We did not see any of the Bailbrook Court rooms which I am sure are very comfortable, but recommend splashing out on a Mansion house room.

One tip when driving into Bath - head for the car park at Bath Cricket ground on North Parade Road - you can stay all day and pay by card, and it is a short walk to the attractions.

Room Tip: Mansion House rooms have a view, but there are a lot of trees in the grounds which restrict the view...
1  Thank Terlow

Thank you for posting a review on tripAdvisor.On the whole I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. Since your stay we have employed a new breakfast chef and we have discussed that he should prepare smaller quantities and replenish more often. Also, when it is quieter we will offer a plated breakfast. I am pleased that you enjoyed dinner in Cloisters Restaurant, and I could not agree more about it being a wonderful setting in the summer.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed here a month or so ago, and it is remiss of me not to have reviewed it sooner, as it was so good!
We planned to stay in the annex, but they showed us a room in the main house and I happily paid for the upgrade. It made the stay really special. A wonderful room with a huge bathroom complete with TV, walk in shower and giant copper bath.
But the best part was the attention to detail. It was my birthday and it was just mentioned in passing at the reception. As we were upgrading it was going to take a few minutes to get the room ready so we were treated to coffees in the lounge. From that moment onwards every member of staff knew our names, and when we got to the room there was a birthday card and chocolates!

The food was excellent, and the vaults setting very inviting and attractive. The waiters couldn't be more helpful, and when my wife was offered bread and said she had a wheat intolerance, then they immediately produced glutton free alternative... and automatically produced it again at breakfast.

To round things off at breakfast, the waiter produced a couple of glasses of bucks fizz to wish me a happy birthday.

These little touches make a tremendous difference to a stay, and we have recommended the place to many friends.

OK it is not cheap, but it really is a memorable treat. I was really made to feel important.

One slightly negative point. Don't expect interesting grounds to walk around. Whilst it is in acreage it seems to be primarily parking at the front, and sloped lawn to the rear. Nonetheless Bath and Bradford on Avon are a stones through away.

We hope to be back.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room in the main house. It is full of character, whereas the annex has nice room...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel should have restored my faith in hotels charging above average prices, but unfortuanetly did not. While the room I stayed in was clean, well maintained and had all the amenties i'd expect in a 4* hotel), the management behind the scenes (mostly rooms division) did not and left a sour taste on what should have been a lovely relaxing weekend with friends.

We'd booked 4 twin rooms, and unfortunately the hotel had decided to overbook themselves and we ended up with three king rooms and firstly 1 double room. For 8 ladies, this was not acceptable. Some of the party accepted this as they didn't want to move after realising the problem after check in. There was no way myself and my friend could share a double, and reception finally had to allocate us an additional room, after calls to and from reception. The concierge did then mention, as we were being moved to the additional room on another floor, that they had a hen party in and it would appear that they had taken all their twin rooms..

I am an ex hotel professional, and this sort of issue just infuriates me. At no point before check in, during checkin were we told of the issue with the rooms. A receptionist came and 'apologised' after to my room mate, while we were waiting for taxi's into Bath, but to be frank, it wasn't enough for me. At £169 a double room, I expect better management than this. They knew in advance of our arrival that this was an issue and did nothing to notify us or to mitigate the disappointment. To put us in a double was inexcusable, at least the other ladies had to share a king bed.

The rest of the stay was fine, good service at breakfast, bar service was good before 9pm, when we arrived back at 1130, it had slipped a little and we had to keep reminding the waitress to take our orders.

Wish it was a better review, as i'd planned a lovely relaxing weekend, but it did put a sour note on the trip.

Room Tip: 310 is a small double, with sloping ceilings.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends