“Great Hotel, excellent service”

Bailbrook House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, excellent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Family trip to Bath, and we stayed in two adjacent rooms for 1 night. The staff were very helpful and accommodating, and very willing to show us around the place and acquaint us with the various services available. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, with a large bed, some chairs and a large en suite bathroom.

The hotel has two parts to it: the old house with quaint, large named rooms and the new extensions, which are modern with numbered rooms (and feel more like a large international chain hotel). The breakfast available was a large buffet and abundant.

Bear in mind that the hotel is quite a distance away from the centre of Bath, and a taxi or car would be sensible. The bus does pass from the main road at the bottom of the drive also, but a bit of a hike if you have mobility issues.

All in all a great stay. They have a variety of function rooms available too, but we didn't make use of them.

Room Tip: Choose between the older building for more character, or the newer building for a better price with...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you for posing a review on TripAdvisor. It was nice to read that your family trip was an enjoyable occasion. Thank you for your kind about the team, I will make sure they receive a copy; I know they will be pleased. Once again thank you.

Jonathan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Finnish first
Poole
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Eleven ladies stayed at Bailbrook House for the weekend in March 2014.

The hotel was exceptional and understood how to manage a large group. They accommodated us extremely well, offering us a private lounge for a champagne reception, providing us with rooms grouped together and a private room for breakfast. The staff were fantastic and simply couldn't be more helpful and polite.

The main hotel building is architecturally stunning and the modern room extension was well furnished and comfortable.

I would recommend Bailbrook House for a break with friends or as a couple and look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased you and your friends enjoyed your stay and that we looked after you. It is always nice to get away with a group of friends and if everything runs smoothly all the better. I hope we will see some of you again in the future.

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed for one night in February. Staff were polite, friendly and helpful - they organised a taxi for us to go into Bath in the evening. The hotel room was clean and the bed was amazing - I have never slept in such a comfortable hotel bed! Breakfast was top notch. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HJL03
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.What a great review, thank you. I totally agree with you regarding the beds, I often stay over and have the best night sleep. I do appreciate your kind words about the staff; I will make sure that they read them.

Hampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

spent two nights in this lovely hotel. We have been to other hand picked hotels and this one certainly didn't disappoint. The staff were so friendly and nothing was to much trouble for them. Food was delicious. Room lovely and very clean. Go if you are able to.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for your kind words regarding the food and team, they too I know will be pleased to read your comments.

Hastings, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed here for a family wedding. On arrival the room was ready early, the staff were friendly and warm. In the bar I asked for a coffee, which a sulky employee said was fine, another guest came and asked for a coffee to be told give me a minute, I'm busy and walked off (god knows if she got a coffee) my room was pleasant enough, big, comfy bed. My MAJOR problem with the hotel was the heating in my room. It was broken. It was either on (30 degrees) or off (freezing) and because of this we had an awful night sleep. Breakfast was mediocre. For such an expensive stay I was disappointed with a Luke warm buffet and pathetic fresh cooked menu. Service was slow and they seemed overwhelmed with the amount of people. On checking out a perky receptionist asked how we slept, when told about the heating and having had no sleep she replied with "oh well safe journey home". Bit disappointed for such an expensive room. It was clean, and the wedding was well run though!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank thomsonrepab
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay.I am unsure which room you stayed in, if you could email me on jsquire@handpicked.co.uk your room number I would like our maintenance team to check all the settings are correct for the heating, I am sorry that it was not fully working for you. I am sorry that you found our breakfast pathetic, I must admit this is the first time we have received such a negative comment; in all honesty I do not understand why it was not up to our usual good standard. On a more positive note I am pleased you enjoyed the wedding.

Fleet
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

My boyfriend took me here for a Valentine's/birthday treat, and it was lovely!

We arrived before the check in time as we were heading in to Bath to go to the spa but the concierge was lovely! He took our bags and ordered us a taxi and showed us to a lovely lounge with a fire to wait by.

When we returned to the hotel, we checked in quickly and were shown to our room. The room was fairly basic but finished to a high standard (my boyfriend had endless fun with the light sensors inside the wardrobe) The room was very clean and the bed was the comfiest I have ever slept in, it was really hard for us both to get up in the morning!!

We had a valentine's set meal in the evening, where we started in the lounge with canapes and a glass of champagne, and then we were shown downstairs to the restaurant, which I cannot rate highly enough!

We sat under the beautiful stone archway, it was very romantic and the staff were incredible. They don't miss a trick and are always right there offering you what you need, or opening the door on your return from the loo. It felt like a really special treat. The food was also excellent, I can't fault it.

The next morning we had a leisurely breakfast in the hotel, which was also delicious, though they had run out of a few things by the time we were there and we had to ask for more to be brought out, for example there was no ketchup and when we asked they didn't bring any out by the time I had given up and sat down to eat.

Overall, lovely hotel! fantastic staff and lovely food!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am pleased you enjoyed your valentine day stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding your evening in Cloisters Restaurant, I will pass on your comments to the team.I think I know what you might be buying your boyfriend for his next birthday - wardrobe lights !

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

This was a splendid hotel although a £10 taxi ride from the city or a 45 minute-hour walk away.This is a period property with a large modern annex at the rear of the property,which is where our rooms were.The rooms were large and nicely furnished with a very nice large bathroom.The hotel is set in very nice grounds .Plenty of free parking and free WiFi .The staff were excellent especially Marcus in the restaurant who looked after us exceptionally well.The dinner was very good so was the breakfast.Due to the size of the hotel may be an hourly courtesy mini bus would be a good idea to run guests in and out of the city center as the only taxis you can get are from a taxi stand there are no flag down taxis at all.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind words. I have noted your comment about a mini bus and this may be something we will consider in the future. I hope we can welcome you back soon.