“Almost perfect”

Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Bath
aylesbury, bucks
“Almost perfect”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just back from 2 night stay in Deluxe Double Rooms in Main House.
The only problem we had related to getting a good nights sleep. We were woken by the very loud noise of our neighbours running a bath at 11.30. Also, our room was only one corridor door away from reception, this door was opened at some time during the night (fire regs?) this meant we were woken at 6.30 by staff talking. This got very loud at 7.00 and I had to ask for quiet and I shut the door. When I raised this matter the Duty Manager was apologetic and is aware of the problem. Sadly no compensation was offered which left a bad taste.
Our room, Valentine Jones, was lovely with high ceiling. Room and bathroom well equipped. TV built in to bath. Just lacked a view unless you went up to raised seating area. The Lounges, Conservatory bar and Cloisters restaurant were all very comfortable. Breakfast was served in the Cloisters and was very pleasant. Everything bought to the table, no buffet. We had one dinner, which was also excellent. The staff took time to talk with us and made all the meals a delight.
Would have no hesitation in returning, just not that room.

Room Tip: Main house is lovely, just avoid Valentine Jones room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank david_anna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Finnish first
Southend-on-sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for the weekend, to attend a cookery course in Bath, the hotel is definitely worth a visit, beautiful sweeping drive and impressive reception area with very helpful staff. Our room (John Wood) was stunning with fabulous views and a great bathroom, deep free standing copper bath and huge separate shower. Very clean and new but with beautiful high ceilings and efficient air con - the best of the old and the new. Cloisters restaurant was good as was the breakfasts (although some confusion on whether they served baked beans or not!).

Would definitely recommend.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bailbrook, Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It was nice to read you enjoyed the John Wood room and the views, they are stunning. The copper bath receives many favourable comments. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

lovely hotel. good base and central to everything in Bath. Breakfast was really good, with attentive and helpful staff. I received correspondence from the hotel several times before our visit to ensure our needs would be met.
Worth a visit.

Room Tip: we were quite specific regarding requirements... it always helps avoid disappointment
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cheryl m
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.It was nice to read you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind words regarding the team, I know they will be pleased to read them.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 17 June 2014

From the time we were greeted at the front door to our departure the staff was wonderfull
and very attentive to our needs. The design of the rooms, beds, linens, baths/showers
all 5 star quality. Food was top notch. You are 1 mile from city center. easy to reach by a bus or short cab ride away, What a nice surprise . i highly recommend it.
Lin

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that your enjoyed your stay. It is always nice to read that guests will recommend us.

Once again thank you and I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

So I heard a few mixed reviews about here (after I had booked) and its not clear when making a booking what part of the hotel you would be in so I phoned up to ask and in all fairness the receptionist wasnt very good over the phone. Thats probably where the majority of the bad stuff stays though

The hotel is very pretty and you have aome awesome scenic views. The rooms in the main hotel complex I didnt get too see and we were in the newer part of the hotel. And even though this doesnt really suit the age of the hotel and you may read negative comments about it. Its really quite nice in there. Spacious rooms and plenty of amazing coffee to choose from. 2 showers in the bathroom was good too see (although cut my finger quite badly as the door to the walk in shower slams quite hard. Only real complaint was the walls are a little thin and we heard some noiseys from the room next door, little off putting

The breakfast was nice but felt a little wrong having potatoes on the serving area and no mushrooms. Tasted amazing though

Staff all over were very polite and attentive and you could easily have a conversation with them and upon arrival it was great to be offered a free room upgrade

Pricing. I booked though one of these late deal places and paid £160 ish for one night. Overall im not quite sure this is justifiable but its not too overly priced. I would of said 120 - 130

Thanks very much and we shall be back

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris R
Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Had a wonderful break at Bailbrook House. The House itself is beautiful and the lodge addition tastefully blended. An oasis of peace with easy access to Bath - parking no problem in the centre of Bath at Charlotte Street car park. The staff (from cleaners to restaurant to reception) were outstanding - friendly, polite, definitely putting their clients first - particular note to Mark the concierge and Spanish receptionist, Maria; impressive considering the hotel was hosting a wedding for 150 a the time we arrived. We heard no noise from the celebrations and disco held later that evening. The room was spacious and immaculate with nice touches - fresh milk and water in the fridge. A birthday gift of cheese, wine and fruit was superbly presented along with a card. My birthday breakfast in the Cloisters restaurant was really lovely - a choice of local produce beautifully cooked. This "Hand Picked" hotel certainly lived up to its name - I couldn't recommend more highly and hope to visit again.

Room Tip: If you can afford to stay in the individually decorated hotel rooms, do so for a special treat. The...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Salsaqueen1810
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your birthday celebration with us. Thank you for the special mention for Mark and Monica, they will be delighted to read your comments. It is always nice to read guests would like to return - just don’t leave it too long!

Hinterbruhl, Austria
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I took my 91 year-old mother to visit an old friend and booked this hotel as it was just two miles away. On arrival, we were greeted and extremely well looked after, taken to our rooms, advised the best place to park for easy access to our rooms. Excellent service. The rooms were opposite each other in the new part of the hotel, not the lovely old building, and well-equipped for disabled guests. We also noticed on arrival that there was a wedding but we were advised that the party venue was at the back of the hotel and would not interfere with our stay. Sadly this was not the case, as I was kept awake at night and then woken early too. I mentioned this on check out and was told that my comments would be noted. Breakfast was very good, as was the service, although the breakfast room is rather bland - again in the new wing. On check out I heard that some guests had paid only £25 per room - the rack rate is over £300! Rather disappointing to hear that when you have paid well into three figures for two single rooms. It does make you wonder..............

Room Tip: Don't have a room near the doors to the breakfast room (109/110) as you will not get a good nigh...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sissy55
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. On the whole I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that you were disturbed by wedding guest returning to their rooms; we do put notices up at the exit to the Brunel Suite asking guests to respect other guests when returning to their rooms; I am sorry that this did not work. With regards to the rate, we do not have rates at £25.00.We do have packages which are paid in advance by 3rd parties leaving guests to pay for extras and upgrades only on departure. I have checked the rates for that night and I am confident that no one paid £25.00.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.