“Disappointing Experience”

Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Experience”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband booked this hotel for my birthday and chose the location as we need to visit an immediate family member in hospital.
On check-in all the discussion was directed at my husband, including wishing only him a pleasant visit.
At breakfast the same treatment continued - the initial greeting and the manager only asking him if his breakfast was good and put his back to me !!
Overall the breakfast service was poor. Our breakfast bowls etc. were not cleared until we had finished our breakfast and tables surrounding us were not cleared so our part of the room looked messy.

To finish our experience off my husband now has a very bad back due to the mattress sinking and being unsupportive.

3 Thank HarrietN9000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Finnish first
England
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We only stayed one night and wished we'd booked for a longer weekend.

The hotel is located at the end of a long drive off the main road which cannot be heard from the rooms. I would say its approximately 3 miles from the centre of Bath, or 5 minutes in a taxi at night.

Its divided into two parts, old and new. We stayed in the older part of the building, the main Hotel, but there is nothing old about the rooms.
I can only speak for our room, William Pitt, but this was large, airy and incredibly well equipped. A fantastic large comfy bed, excellent coffee making facility, small fridge with milk and water in, gaint flat screen TV and a beautiful large bathroom. There was LED lighting and even a presence sensor inside the wardrobe! However most surprising was a TV set into the marble Bath/ Shower wall, with a waterproof controller, I have stayed in a lot of good hotels and never have I seen this before, not even in a suite at the Langham in London or New York.

The staff are incredibly helpful, they went out of their way to ensure everything was as you wanted. The conceirge that day, Mark, took us to our room and was most helpful and welcoming.The night conceirge talked us through maps of Bath, the best place to park and was again informative and attentive.

Breakfast in the morning was sumptuous, the staff again excellent. I understand there is a choice for breakfast, buffet style across at the newer part of the hotel or full service style within the main part of the hotel. We went down into the Cloisters for the full service and it really was full service. Again in comparisons with other hotels, this place absolutely surpasses many 5* hotels I have stayed at.

What a beautiful, peaceful place to stay for a weekend in Bath, I would certainly highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I think the best rooms are located in the main part of the Hotel. They all have names rather than nu...
1 Thank TwitterEngland
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I came to this hotel on Tuesday 1st of July, at 1am as I was heading back to Pembroke for the boat. The hotel was unfortunately fully booked much to my disappointment I was greeted by the hotel night porter who invited me and offered to look up hotels in the area. I also met other staff in the hotel who were so pleasant offering tea and coffee use of bathroom facilities. The staff rang all local hotels for us when leaving staff offer water to us for our journey and wished all well. when I return to England this will be the first hotel I shall return I was ever so grateful for staff help.

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

The stay was as last minute reservation booked through the company travel agent, not usually a good thing, but this was a pleasant surprise.

After a problematic check in (due to the last minute reservation) I was escorted to the room by a friendly and knowledgable member of staff.

The room was an executive double, comfortable in size, with the usual amenities, coffee, water, etc.

The furniture was in good condition, and the supplied toiletries a good standard.

The bar and patio areas were nice to enjoy a drink, especially as the weather was good.

Overall a pleasing experience, convenient for Bath and excellent links to M4.

Stayed June 2014
lincolnshire
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

2 night stay in the modern block. Room very nice with huge very comfy bed. Well equipped rooms, small fridge with fresh milk was very nice rather than normal long life sachets. All staff very attentive and helpful. Breakfast was very good and set you up for the day, enjoyed our stay and would love to return and stay in one of the mansion block rooms as a special treat. Would recommend this hotel

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tinkerbell34
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a beautiful hotel set in lovely grounds very near to Bath. Everyone is very pleasant and helpful but on our return after our first day in Bath a large piece of broken glass was found on the bathroom carpet along with other little pieces. When I went into the bathroom there was more broken glass on the floor and even a piece in the shower unit. The lady from housekeeping was doing the rounds and she got a cleaner and immediately did both bedroom and bathroom floors. My husband is diabetic and there could have been very serious consequences if he had gone into the shower with bare feet and cut his feet on the glass. The lady from housekeeping said she would report the broken glass. I at least expected an apology from management but we are still waiting.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bailbrook, Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry that you found broken glass in your bedroom. This was not reported to me. I will discuss this with Angnas our Housekeeping Supervisor so I can investigate where our communication fell short. In the meantime could I please ask that you email me with the date you stayed - jsquire@handpicked.co.uk. Once again please accept my sincere apologies and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Jonathan
Devizes
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I went to Bailbrook House with my wife for a birthday treat. Staff were excellent and very helpful. We stayed in the Thomas Gainsborough room in which my wife and I were blown away by, a huge and extremely comfortable bed with a generous bathroom with a tv in the wall by the bath, which nailed it for me. I couldn't fault the place until the evening meal. My starter came out and parts of the order weren't put on the plate I had to remind the waitress what was actually on the menu, they didn't clear up empty glasses on our table and my wife's main was....well, let's say she didn't finish it. It's a shame but if you're paying that sort of money for a meal you'd expect it to be perfect. Overall hotel, staff and rooms excellent, restaurant not so.

• Stayed June 2014
Bailbrook, Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. On the whole I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay; it is always nice too to read that our guests will return. Thank you for your feedback regarding Cloisters Restaurant, I am sorry that this did not live up to your expectations. I have discussed your comments with the senior kitchen team and asked that your comments are reviewed with the rest of the team. This should not have happened and once again I am sorry.

Regards