“1st class” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Bath
uk
“1st class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Ideally situated to the city of Bath. Beautiful hotel and very friendly staff, special mention to Mahon who spent some time and filled us in on the history of the hotel. Very comfortable room and facilities. Had dinner in the cloisters restaurant and the food was superb, only disappointing thing was the breakfast was buffet style. I would have liked Eggs Benedict but not on the menu. Bacon dry and eggs rubbery. Have to say this would put me off staying again. Apart from that and if you don't mind a buffet style breakfast then I would definitely recommend couldn't fault it. First time staying in a Hand picked hotel and looking forward to trying some of the other 19!!

Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased you were looked after by Mahon he joined us a few months ago and settled in really well; I will make sure he receives a copy of your review. Thank you for you comments about Cloisters Restaurant the team will be please to know. Please accept my apologies about breakfast. I will discuss this with Manuel our Head Chef and he too I am sure would like to send his apologies. I have asked him to check which chef was on duty and carry out some re training. If you do stay with us again please ask one of our food & beverage attendants for a plated breakfast, we are able to accommodate that.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Jonathan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Finnish first
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We spent two days at this magnificent Mansion on the edge of the City of Bath.
The hotel has two distinct parts ,The Mansion House and Bailbrook Court an extension adjoining the main house.
We were able to stay in one of their feature bedrooms individually named which are situated in the Mansion House. These are more expensive than bedrooms in Bailbrook Court but well worth the extra as they are superbly finished and all are unique.
Dine in the Cloisters restaurant for excellent food but wine a little pricey.

Room Tip: Get a room in the Mansion House if possible
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. It was nice to read you enjoyed your stay and felt you stay in one of our Mansion House rooms was well worth it. Thank you for your kind words about Cloisters restaurant, I know the team will be delighted to read your comments. I am sorry that you found our wine list pricey.

Upstate New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We originally selected the Bailbrook House based on the fact that it was recommended by American Express Platinum Travel and it is set in a 17th century elegant country house. The hotel is set on a lovely hilltop property on the periphery of Bath... it's too far to walk into town but is a relatively short taxi ride into the city center and all the historic sites and attractions.

The first sign something was amiss emerged as soon as the helpful and pleasant bellman helped us to our rooms. The rooms were in the new building adjacent to the manor house and it's where the vast majority of the rooms are located. Walking down the hall I noted the spartan white walls and acoustical tile ceiling which was more in keeping with a Marriott Courtyard (nothing wrong with that if that's the type of establishment you selected) rather than a property with a fairly hefty room rate and the aspiration and airs of a five star hotel. The rooms were fairly generously proportioned, but really lacked any character (e.g., artwork, mouldings, high-end window treatments, etc.) you would expect in a hotel of this type. Housekeeping did not do a top job as there were numerous dry cleaning hangers and plastics left behind in the wardrobe. It was certainly disappointing, but seemed acceptable.

After a day touring the lovely city of Bath we returned to the Bailbrook House. As we had a very large and wonderful lunch we decided to eat a lighter meal in the Conservatory Bar. We were seated in the pleasant conservatory space overlooking the grounds. The first sign our meal might disappoint was the awful Bloody Mary (tinned tomato juice, no seasoning and almost no vodka)... it's not a difficult cocktail to master. The tomato soup was equally unfortunate. Lukewarm, straight from a supermarket grade can with no seasoning or garnish, the small serving size emerged as its best quality. My main course selection of a cold seafood platter was basically inedible. The rollmops were tough and tasteless and they were the star of the plate. The smoked salmon had a medicinal taste and was inedible as were the tiny iodine infused shrimp. My wife's salmon nicoise salad had the most uninspired greens and other veg which seemed near the end of their serviceable life. The fish was barely edible. My children had pasta which was served with a low quality jar sauce and fish and chips were just ok, but most likely from the freezer section of the supermarket. Not wanting to make a scene and impact our family vacation I paid the bill and resolved myself to eating dinner in town the following evening.

Shortly after settling into the rooms for the night my wife says I need to look at something. She had found and crushed some sort of bug in the bed which left a red stain on the hotel notepad paper she used to terminate the insect's life. Further exploration of the bedding turned up additional visible dirt and debris. The basic cleanliness which should be taken for granted at any lodging establishment was clearly not to be found here. We were repulsed with the condition of the room and I immediately called the front desk to speak with the manager on duty.

The manager came to the room and looked at the bedding and he apologized, took pictures of the mess and agreed that indeed there was an issue. To his credit he was polite and professional. To address the unacceptable condition of the room he offered to move our two rooms from the new building to the mansion house. The rooms there were substantially larger and had some individual distinctive touches, but again were oddly lacking in character or panache expected in the flagship rooms. At least they were clean, and at 10:30 at night our only option.

We cut our stay by one day and chalked it up to a rare mistake by American Express Platinum Travel to recommend the Bailbrook House as it is substantially below the level of the typical establishments they recommend.

The Bailbrook House has a nice setting and decent bones, but it falls so short of the mark. With some polishing and upgrades it could be a nice property. As it currently stands, there are just too many issues: lack of attention to detail, inconsistent housekeeping with serious deficiencies, unrefined decor and totally unacceptable dining. My recommendation, keep on looking for an alternative in Bath. And read past the 4 and 5 star Tripadvisor reviews... in my experience, the lower star reviews (although fewer in number) tell the truth about the Bailbrook House. I wished I paid more attention to them before deciding to stay there.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank giantsteve
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I would like to discuss your review in ore detail please. Can I ask that you drop me an email with your contact details? Please email me on jsquire@handpicked.co.uk

Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

1st class hotel, fantastic service the staff were all lovely, the hotel is very quiet , spotless and very high end , the breakfasts were lovely, self service, evening meals very nice, and the bar prices were quite good.

Room Tip: Don't expect to be in the big house ! Most rooms are in a area to the side, with walkways to the...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind words. I know the team will be pleased when they read your review too.

I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Weil am Rhein, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I would rate the hotel 4.5.
We've stayed in Bath before but in the city centre. This hotel is about a mile from the centre. It is set in a parkland environment and it is pleasant to sit outside but there are no real paths through the property. You can take a bus into the centre, or walk along the A4 or the best option is to follow the path of the nearby canal - about 45 minutes. You can even take a canal boat into the city.
The hotel has recently finished a major renovation - everything was immaculate. Our bedroom was large and comfortable. Staff were very pleasant and accommodating. One evening we had dinner in the main restaurant, located in a lower level and though plenty of windows it felt like a cellar. Food was good and service was a little 'stuffy'. Second night we ate in the bistro by the bar. This was a really good meal and the Latvian manager was very attentive and overcame all of our doubts by serving the best rump steak we have ever had. And we could look out at the woods.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
1 Thank jeturner7
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. It was great to read your comments about the Conservatory Bar and thank you for your comments regarding the Rump steak and GK who looks after the bar. I am sorry that you found the service in Cloisters stuffy. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel is special. It's secluded, well located, plenty of character, comfort and style.
The room was big and comfortable, the bed was very big.
Breakfast was very good. Iwish I booked at least another night.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bailbrook, Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Bailbrook House should you visit Bath again in the future.

Kind regards
Michelle
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Short stay only, hotel looks great on web, claiming "commanding views over Bath" .

It is a shame, there were only 3 rooms with that view, no restaurant, terrace or lounge. You could walk down a grass field and see Bath. But that was the only disappointing thing. Rooms are great, spacious, beds comfortable. minibar only has water, but roomservice will bring you drinks by the glass.

Service was good, breakfast a bit basic items, but good quality/taste, friendly staff.
Overall an excellent stay.

Room Tip: As above, there are only 3 rooms with the "bath view". Otherwise don't book this hotel...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that you felt you were unable to enjoy the views. Guests are able to enjoy views of Bath from the Duke of Clarence lounge and tables in the loggia of the Cloisters Restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Bailbrook House should you visit the area again in the future.

Kind regards