2,065 results
All reviewscloisters restaurantconservatory barhand picked hotelshandpicked hotelsnew wingthe main houselovely hotelexecutive roomjohn woodcoffee machineafternoon teafresh milk in the fridgeon arrivalmain restaurantbuffet styleevery member of staffcity centre
Reviewed 17 July 2016

Bailbrook house sits on the edge of Bath near the dual carriageway but is well served by public transport. The house sits above the road and is accessed via a steep winding road. The house looks beautiful and adjacent to it is a modern building which houses most of the accommodation and restaurant.
We were met on our arrival at reception in the entrance hall of the main house which had comfortable looking seating arranged for guests. The lady that met us probably shouldn't have been at work definitely not meeting guests as she coughed sneezed and choked through our booking. Thankfully she handed the escort to our room to another member of staff as she went off to sort herself out.
The bulk of the accommodation in the modern part of the hotel was accessed by leaving the main house, one of only two grade II listed hotel in Bath you thought you were going to stay in and what attracted you in the first place, and entering a 3 storey building reminiscent of a Holiday Inn, Travelodge type hotel. It was good to see that the building was secure and could only be accessed with a pass card. Unfortunately this was not in operation throughout our stay, the door opened automatically when approached. If the security of your room is a concern whilst you're away from it this will not help.
The room was pleasant enough an 'Executive Double' which was basically a normal hotel-chain room with added furniture. This also meant that it was a little cramped. The shower was a large rain shower head. When I went to use it most of the little rubber heads were blocked which meant the rain shower effect was somewhat lost. I cleaned the shower with my thumb nail in about five minutes, not the most pleasant of tasks but necessary as I needed a shower before heading out. The room did have a kettle tea making facilities with real milk in the small fridge and a modern capsule coffee machine. I don't know what make the machine was but the hotel should take the hit and move to Nespresso, better coffee and people like me can use their own coffee. A safe was also provided in the room.
We went down to breakfast in the modern wing of the hotel, not wanting to pay the extra £7.50 per person to eat the same breakfast in the main house. I don't know if you're sat on the backs of the staff to eat or the food is cut up for you but I can only surmise that the additional charge is some retention of elitism or to get more money out of you. Anyway my wife and I were glad to be eating in the Lonsdale restaurant for the entertaining comedy fest that was breakfast service. We were not met on our arrival at breakfast but the staff looked busy running around the room not actually achieving an awful lot. The Maitre 'D took our room number and corrected us saying she only had names. After finding us on her sheet she took us to our table and explained how the breakfast worked. She was interrupted by another member of staff laden with a tray of tea and toast asking which table it was for. After telling her the table number undaunted the Maitre 'D continued with her explanation only to be stopped mid-flow again by the same member of staff hissing 'its not for them I asked'. She waved her off finished her explanation to my wife and I then headed to the kitchen door. On entering the kitchen she screamed in something along the lines of 'can someone give me a hand here I'm really busy'. This was swiftly responded to by two members of staff, one was shown to the entrance of the restaurant and given the task of meeting the guests. She didn't really know what she was doing or what was expected of her but she gave it her best shot at least. The other member of staff started clearing off empty tables but obviously got bored and wandered about the room with a cup or glass in her hand for the rest of our visit. Repeatedly staff wandered past our table and others with dirty dishes on them and did nothing to remove them. A member of staff carried out a tray with the necessary crockery and cutlery to lay a table afresh. However she then proceeded to remove the dirty crockery two items at a time and take it through to the dishwasher. The table was then partially wiped with a cloth and relaid. As the clean cups were put on the table they were held with the thumb on the inside of the cup, the cutlery were held by the blade and tines as they were set. Lets hope her hands were clean.
As our toast and tea was left on the table I guess it was the one still on the move from earlier as the toast was cold and the tea luke warm. At least it found a home. The fruit at breakfast was wide ranging and possibly the best bircher muesli I have ever tasted, well done. The hot food had been lovingly prepared by the chefs by the look of it at about 0500 then left under the heat lamp uncovered since then. The scrambled egg had a film/skin over parts of it and the bacon looked like dry cured jerky. I asked the member of staff still wandering round the room with a cup and glass in her hands if fresh bacon was available. She grunted back 'I'll ask the chef'. What the chef said I'll never know, she never came back to me and no fresh bacon appeared so I'm guessing he said no.
We observed another couple being greeted and escorted to their table. Unfortunately that table was still full of dirty crockery so they were stood to the side of it as it was cleared and re-laid ever so slowly. The fact that another table ready to go was sat behind me was obviously missed.
There was no co-ordination of staff, most were obviously not happy doing what they were doing, and there was no system. They were not excessively busy and it's not like they didn't know the guests were coming. The following morning was not as entertaining but the bacon still looked like it had been cooked hours before.
Would I stay here again? Unlikely and not for the price I paid. The hotel has potential but needs the management of its staff improved and lose its own vision of grandeur to make it inviting and welcoming.

Room Tip: Another hotel?
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Paul D
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2016

Dear Paul D,
May I thank you for taking the time and trouble to pass on your constructive feedback following your stay here at the weekend.
I was most disappointed to read of our shortcomings at breakfast service and would like to offer my apologies for the disappointment caused and assure you of our best attention to avoid repetition of what you have described.
May I also confirm that the pass card access to our bedrooms does indeed work but is currently set on an overnight time clock. From your feedback this is something we will now reconsider.
yours sincerely,

Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

We had the pleasure of spending our first three nights in England at Bailbrook House Hotel. We were staying in the original part of the house in the Lady Isabelle suite - which was absolutely lovely and beautifully decorated. We ate at the Cloisters restaurant and the food was top notch. Only thing that really let the experience down was the service - it wasn't exceptionally bad, but it also wasn't exceptionally good - which one would expect for the price being paid. The staff seemed unable (or perhaps unwilling) to engage in a conversation, were unable to recommend local drinks from the hotel bar, were quite slow in service in both the breakfast restaurant and dinner restaurant. It seemed like morale was low and motivation to deliver a good service was missing.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Kerrie E
Reviewed 10 July 2016

The accommodations were excellent, but it is located a bit too far for my taste from the town center. We had to either take a bus or taxi which was inconvenient. (A plus is the bus stop is at the end of the hotel drive.) Luckily, it clears out bit in the evening and we were able to drive the car into town for dinner.

The hotel itself is a wonderful place that provides all of the appropriate benefits (WiFi, parking, cook to order bfast) that makes it above average. The grounds are very nice with an excellent view of the countryside. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable with a private bathroom.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JOSEPH C

Dear Joseph C,
Thank you for your kind comments following your stay at Bailbrook House Hotel. I am delighted that you found our hotel to be wonderful, well appointed and comfortable - words that we are so pleased to hear,
kind regards

Reviewed 10 July 2016

We had looked online for a venue to elope to for our marriage.
We looked at Bath as we had never been and Bailbrook House popped up.
After speaking with Carly and doing some investigating we booked for our intimate Just the two of us wedding package .
Carly conversed with us from the start to a few days before and ensured we were happy with all of the arrangements.
On arrival we were greeted superbly by the reception staff and Mark the concierge ,who had a wealth of info about Bath and the history of the hotel which was lovely that he had obviously worked at the hotel for some time.
We were shown to our huge room ,which was amazing ,lovely four poster bed ,fantastic hospitality facilities ,fridge stocked with fresh milk and bottled water and a bathroom that was the king of bathrooms with a huge copper bath.
We settled in and went down for our pre arranged champagne afternoon tea,this was fantastic ,everything was perfect ,we even had some boxed up and sent to our room to store in the fridge for later.
Our next day arrangements were checked and we ordered our breakfast to our room for the next day.
We had followed the instructions of leaving our order card on our door before 2am,but when we checked this at 7.30 the next morning it had not been collected, a quick call to reception soon rectified this and our breakfast was delivered and was excellent.
Our ceremony was perfect and the setting was beautiful ,special thanks to our witnesses and the special gift in our room ..We had some really nice photo's in the amazing grounds of the hotel.Our evening meal in the cloisters restaurant was lovely,with special thanks for the little surprise at the end .
We can't thank you all enough for making our special day perfect,and all about us as we had wanted.
We look forward to seeing you all next year for our 1st Anniversary.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank berniebubble

Dear Mr & Mrs BernieBubble,
We are delighted that we were able to host your "just the two of us" Wedding here at Bailbrook House Hotel. Your wedding is so special it is an honour for us to be involved. I will take pleasure in passing on your kind words to Carly, Mark and to everyone involved in your big day. We look forward to welcoming you back for many happy Anniversaries.
kind regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2016

We managed to book in at the last minute after some problems with the planned accommodation in Bath that had proved unsatisfactory. Such a wonderful welcome from the reception staff when we arrived and nothing was too much trouble. Sensing our distress Louisa and the team immediately found us a wonderful room, very quiet, with sumptuous decor and looking out onto a peaceful and slightly untamed part of the extensive grounds. Room servicing was discreet and very efficient, the breakfasts a daily feast and the bar with adjacent informal dining very relaxed. We couldn't have asked for more. Gracious and very professional staff at every turn. A huge plus was a bus stop not far from the end of the drive with buses taking us to the centre of Bath. Our car took a welcome break safely parked in the hotel car park! All so easy.

Room Tip: We were away from the main block and although a slight walk to our room it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulineF1263

Dear Pauline F,
hank you for your fabulous feedback. It has made my day. I will take pleasure in sharing it with Luisa, who will be delighted, and all of our team involved,
kind regards