All reviews minute walk hot chocolate and biscuits bed frame big hill we booked a family room city centre regular buses full english ironing board stayed here for nights little extras bus service bus stop pleasant stay a wonderful place to stay visit bath would definitely stay here again
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I've just got back from a weekend break with my girlfriend in Bath, and Astor House proved a pleasant base. It's a short walk into town, and yes it is a bit hilly on the walk back, but i take the positive, imagine the calories that were burnt! The walk there and back really isn't an issue. But if it's raining or you just don't fancy the walk, I would recommend you get the bus from directly outside the b&b. It took all of 10 minutes and cost £2.55. The b&b had a homely feel to it, and provided a quiet sanctuary to return to after a day in Bath centre. Wi-fi may be intermittent but there is 3G for those who are desperate to surf the web while on holiday, and prepared to pay for it :) The room was spacious and the decor was pleasant. The bathroom was spotless and the shower was powerful with easy controls. The breakfast was superb, with a choice of a full English or a healthier option of the Mackerel & poached egg variety. Fruit & cereal was also on offer. Not sure who I met while there, whether the ladies were the proprietor/s or employees, but whoever they were, they were helpful and courteous every time I had a question or required something. That's good enough for me. Overall a pleasant stay in a b&b that felt more like a home from home than any hotel-chain offering.

Room tip: Back rooms have lovely views over the beautiful garden
Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed here recently in room #8 on the third floor. This B&B is clean but there are certain things that need improvement. For example, I found the hair dryer in the dresser drawer, the plug in power unit had fallen apart and the electrical wires were all exposed. I wasn't sure if it would work but was pleasantly surprised that it worked if you plug it in with the wires exposed. What a hazard to any guest that stays here. Hair dryers are about $10, the innkeeper should replace it. I found the advertisement that all rooms have wifi to be misleading. Half the rooms (rooms #5-8) are on the third floor and get no signal for the wifi. If you are on the second floor, you would get sufficient signal to get online. The innkeeper has explained that when a lot of guests try to use the wifi, the third floor would get no signal. This is false as any IT person knows it doesn't work this way. The B&B is reasonably priced but I would not stay here again. The walk from the city center is a good 15 minute walk uphill.

Room tip: The first and second floors get good wifi signal. The third floor which has half the rooms (#5-8) do not get any signal. If wifi is important, make sure you don't get put on the third floor.
Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank abbyandsesame
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This bed and breakfast is a pleasant house in a leafy neighborhood of Bath. I occupied room # 4 with a friend. The room is a very small twin bed with an en suite, equally small bathroom. One of the owners welcomed us at check in and provided information about reaching the center of the town. This was the last we saw of anyone other than the young woman who served breakfast. The town is a good 15-20 minute walk down a steep hill. Return is more challenging but a taxi costs just 5 pounds. My only real complaint was the lack of water available in the shower on my last morning. I was left without water and had to rinse my soapy hair in the wash hand basin.
Admittedly this was probably at peak shower time but was still unsatisfactory. The plumbing in general was noisy All in all I didn't think this hotel merited its price

Room tip: Don't choose #4. I have no knowledge of other rooms
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

This was definitely the most unpleasant stay ever in England.There was no welcome whatsoever and the only conversation was the request to sign the credit card receipt when we left. Breakfast was okay but served in a chaotic and rather indifferent way by several young girls who seemed totally uninterested in what they were doing.We were completely dissappointed in every possible way!

1  Thank G K
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My two friends and I just got back from three days and two nights in Bath, we stayed in the family room at the top of the house, the views were great, the room was immaculate, the beds comfortable and the price very reasonable. The B&B has off street parking, and a ten minute walk into the centre of Bath, 15 minutes uphill on the way back! Good exercise after the Bath Buns and Pump House Cream Tea (should not be missed) We had a great time. Such good value, so clean and a hearty breakfast to boot - what's not to love!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends