“Comfortable Stay”
Review of Radstock Hotel

Radstock Hotel
Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 29 May 2012

There's a review of this hotel below where the writer seemed to be expecting a 5 Star Boutique hotel.
The outside of the hotel is a little dull but that's because it's a victorian building in a town which was known for mining. The inside is what I would expect from a solid pub with a large, quirky interior and a dining area around the corner from the bar as well as a large beer garden to the rear.
My single room on the top floor was nicely furnished and had a good sized TV, an excellent shower and a large fan, as it was a hot day and it was definitely needed!
There was a reasonable menu of bar food and I enjoyed the Beef and Mushroom pie I had for dinner. It was also reasonably priced.
The breakfast was well cooked and enough to keep me going 'til mid afternoon.
All in all a good experience.
I would suggest the reviewer who could find little of note in the area books a hotel in a city centre
next time, though I doubt he'd get it at the same price!
Would stay again

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Only stayed one night to attend family wedding. The downstairs is tired and dark but room was excellent and we only needed a comfortable bed for the night which is what we got.
For the price it was fine but would have been disappointed if we paid more.
Cooked breakfast was ok but not special, staff very pleasant.

The road noise was the main problem and on a hot night we needed the window open and it was noisy well into the night,

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the property.
1  Thank mrspink3
Reviewed 21 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank William C
Reviewed 8 May 2012

First impressions count and in so far as this hotel is concerned they were very poor from the outset.........and things only got worse to be honest. The building appears very scruffy, tired and generally 'down at heel' from the outside and is located on a busy road at a busy junction in a village that is similarly uninspiring and lacking basic facilities such as a half decent cafe. The rear of the property and car park area were even bleaker with numerous posters advising care with valaubles due to thiefs operating in the area........hardly reassuring. The large ground floor pub/bar area was dark, dated, dreary and devoid of any character, atmosphere and indeed customers. The stairs and landing areas up to our accomodation were equally tired, dated and in need of urgent refurbishment. In fairness, our room was on an upper floor in an area that had clearly been spruced up.....it was ighter, brighter and reasonably contemporary. The room was a good size with ample furniture of reasonable quality although the carpet was grubby. It overlooked a busy road but only had poor quality secondary glazing with plenty of condensation on the windows, hence the road noise was obvious and pretty consistent throughout our stay. Ensuite facilities were ok (shower actually very good) overall and quite clean. The bed was extremely uncomfortable (hard, springs digging into back) and the pillows wafer thin........the spares in the wardrobe were equally thin and very very grubby - should have been thrown out ages ago. Explored local area but could find nothing of note, interest or use really - certainly nowhere to enjoy a decent meal, coffee or drink (Radstock Hotel included)........only thing of note was a Co-op store. Got very little sleep due to road noise and sound of other guests walking about on creaking stairs. Also, and how do I put this delicately, because the walls were so thin we were awoken in the early hours by the sounds of, well, our near neighbours intimate activities followed by snoring............the latter lasting much much longer than the former! Obviously beyond the control of the hotel but sufice it to say that noise can be an issue. Breakfast is served in a side room on the ground floor - again very tired, drab and in places grubby. The food was ok..........more motorway service station than egon ronay (locally sourced from the Co-op I suspect).....but plentiful, served with a smile and well, ok. I dont consider the room we had was good value (£65 I think) nor do I think the hotel deserved its 3 star AA rating in my humble opinion. I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Insist on a room at the rear of hotel away from the busy main road.
2  Thank DenningHertfordshire
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I usually book my own rooms when travelling on business, but I allowed someone to book this one for me. Oh dear! The room was rather shabby and a bit 'sad'. Not having a lot of hair, I didn't have to use the wall mounted hair dryer. Just as well, since the tube that should carry the air to the nozzle was completely perished. The window was jammed open and the shower was clearly built for much slimmer individuals than me! The bar area was rather drab and uninviting. To be fair, other colleagues, also staying, had better room experiences.

Breakfast, however, was rather good and served early to accommodate an early start to work.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed here for one night with some family members as we were attending a wedding in the local area. I'd read some bad reviews before arriving so was a little worried but actually we had a good stay. We arrived early without having arranged an early check-in but the staff were very accommodating and got one of our rooms ready early so that we could change before the wedding. Our room was a good size, comfy, bright and warm, although the wallpaper was peeling off the walls so it did look a little tatty. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room although the cartons of UHT milk provided were out-of-date (however we used them and no harm was done!)

The biggest problem was that the room had single-glazed sash windows which weren't very good at keeping out the street noise - I had earplugs with me so slept ok but my sister found it very noisy. Also the floorboards creak really badly so you can hear other guests moving around the place. I would recommend earplugs if you stay here!

The full English breakfast was lovely and just what we needed after a night out, however it was a little on the small side.

Overall we had a good stay although I would expect a slightly higher standard of accommodation for what we paid (£65 for a twin room).

Room Tip: I'd go for a room at the back to avoid the street noise
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Sunday Carvery.....fantastic, all locally sourced fresh veg, massive roast....beef was med, rare just as I like it....Chef was so polite warned my mother re hot plates, choice of meats and vegetables. best value for money ever....£7.95 for two courses (child friendly, and nice rustic ambience). Will be back regularly! But bet I'll need to book after people read this!!

• Stayed: January 2012