“Disgusting, wot more can i say!!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Amberley House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #135 of 154 Bath B&B and Inns
East Yorks
“Disgusting, wot more can i say!!”
Reviewed 6 September 2008

On first arriving at Amberley House we we're greeted by Ivona, we were told we would have to leave a £10 deposit for a parking permit (that of course was when we finally had found somewhere to park), and had to choose a time for breakfast, 8.30am or 9.15am as she needed to be organised because there was only one very small dining table in a tiny little back room, which the next morning when we went for breakfast we had to share with a another couple, that could of been awkward but they were a nice couple!
On been shown our room(room 2 with en-suite), we noticed grubby carpets and it looked like it had not been cleaned in some time.
The next morning we woke with bites all over our legs, presumably from the bedding, after that we spent as little time as possible in the room!
The only good thing i can say about this B&B is the location, a 5min walk into the centre!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JevEastYorks

Families
Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
australia
Reviewed 26 July 2008

A well decorated and clean b&b only 5-10 minutes walk out of the centre of bath. A converted house, there are 5 bedrooms, we stayed in the twin which shares a bathroom. The room was a reasonable size, clean and tidy although the beds were not the most comfortable I have slept on. There was no breakfast provided during our stay so cannot comment on that. The owners not being on site did not cause us any problems as they were around during the day and were accommodating leaving a secure key out for us when we arrived late on the first night. I did notice the double room which shares a bathroom is VERY small so watch out for that one. Although not on the main road there was some noise from the road at night. Overall we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank traveller1100
london
Reviewed 16 July 2008

I would recommend Bath to everyone and anyone but i could not say that about Amberley House! The owner was only interested in taking the money and once that was done we didn't see her again.

The was no breakfast included because her housemaid was on leave so instead of making it herself it just wasn't offered. The owner doesn't live in the house so any problems and you have to wait for her to arrive, which means she wasn't there to deal with screaming kids running around at 6.30am.

She wouldn't allow us to leave our bags after we checked out as she was having her carpets cleaned on a sunday - this seemed an excuse for her not to come to the house and let us leave them in the dining room, which has a laminate flooring - hardly needs a professional to come in and clean it. She told us to leave them at the local youth hostel and we could pay for a complete stranger to look after them.

As for the room it was a non-ensuite box, which the proverbial cat would have been extremely sore if we had tried to swing her. The website makes it out to be sweet and vintage where instead it felt old and dirty.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The Room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank manikin

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

UK
Reviewed 7 July 2008

We stayed in Bath for a wedding, 2 nights in a room for 2 adults and cot for the child. Booking was easy, owner was very helpful in arranging a travel cot.

On arrival, a girl answered the door called Ivona. We went through to the small back room (dining room as we found out).
She gave me a parking permit and asked for a deposit. When I went to hand over my debit card, Ivona said the £10 deposit had to be cash. The owner had previously confirmed cash OR Debit Card. I offered to go to the cash point as I only has 5 pounds cash but Ivona seemed confused and didn't seem happy for me to drive to cashpoint (as if I would run-off with a parking permit leaving my wife and child!!?). Anyway, we agreed on a £5 deposit so all ok.

We were then told we would be sharing a breakfast table with other guests on either a 8.30 or 9.15 slot. This WAS NOT made clear before our stay and the website does not say you will be sharing breakfast with other guests! The dining room is small and doubles up as check-in/out room, leaflet displays and is open to the kitchen. We asked for a highchair (website says they are available) but Ivona said she did not know if they had one. I asked her to speak to the owner, and in fact one was arranged by the next morning - thankfully, well pleased.

Breakfast - coffee hot, juice good, lots of toast. Poached egg and the Mushrooms were microwaved, 1 rasher of bacon and one sausage each. Ok but not memorable at all - all this while we had the sound of the washing machine 10ft from us (Ivona did apologise). Bear in mind the table is small - you are elbow to elbow with the other guests and private conversations were a no no.

Room - Ok, clean, travel cot good and two singles beds attached - so big. Nice windows that opened wide for air.
No BATH, only a shower which was powerful but mouldy round the shower head. Bathroom was tiny. 14inch old style TV mounted on the wall in corner of room, so watching TV from bed a bit of a strain! Iron and ironing board was brought to room on request (but old and tired equipment - but heh most are in B&Bs/hotels). Coffee/tea good. There was a weird decanter of something in the room - I assume sherry as there were 2 tiny/mini glasses by the side, dirty glasses though and no explanation as to whether it was drinkable, safe, free?? We steered clear. Bathroom has no drinking glasses, had to ask, Ivona brought these but she seemed to us this was a non-regular request - I thought a pair of drinking glasses in a room was normal!

Nightime - beware, not all rooms are en-suite. If your ok with that then fine, but if you have an en-suite you have to put up with banging doors ALL NIGHT! The room next door were in,out,in,out,in,out all night - bang,bang,bang went the doors.
If you want a totally quiet nights sleep, don't come here as the bedroom doors are heavy and have no springs.

Overall - OK for a place to stay but this really is old erstyle B&B, converted house run day-top-day by a young gril called Ivona - who has little experience and customer service skills (although pleasant enough girl). To my mind, for £80 a night you would be better staying somewhere a bit more expensive for the quiet, privacy and expertise of guest house/hotel staff.

Best bits - The booking process direct was AAA++, parking outside, travel cot, shower
Worst bits - sharing small breakfast table, NOISE, mediorce breakfast.

Stayed June 2008
2 Thank Letiss1
Cornwall
Reviewed 24 September 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this Bed and Breakfast where I was a guest for one week. The house was a typical georgian terrace which has been kept in excellent condition. Staff were particularly helpful on arrival, allowing me to leave my luggage with them before check in time in order to help with my travel arrangements. My room was exceptionally clean, very attractive and with good facilities. I was particularly impressed with a wireless internet service which was available in the house for guests. Breakfast was delicious and well cooked with a varied menu from which to choose each day. Breakfast orders were taken the day before and I was given a choice of three breakfast times. I found both members of staff I met very freindly and incredibly helpful and both were eager to ensure guests had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Tonkin24
West Midl;ands
Reviewed 4 September 2007

On arrival we were greeted by a very put out Czech girl who was displeased we arrived late, who insisted we decided what we have for breakfast even before we had seen our rooms.
The rooms were a disappointment, nothing like on the website pictures. The carpets were dirty in the downstairs bedroom.
There was no dining rrom, just a kitchen table and four chairs to
eat breakfast in in relays, our slot was 8.30am and we had to wait for the 8 oclock slot to finish before eating. The breakfast was tasty and well cooked. The outside garden was unkempt.
We had brought friends from USA to see Bath and it was a bit of
a rough start, thankfully we only had booked in for one night.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends