“the cleanest around”

Ranked #26 of 40 Speciality Lodging in Bath
Manchester
“the cleanest around”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the MacDonalds 5* hotel for two nights and decided to extend our stay for another two nights. We chose Roban House and wished we had stayed there from the start. The owners have a high standard of cleanliness. It was smaller in size but much more comfortable as it was very peaceful. We were well looked after, so much so that we have already booked our autumn break there. We were also able to receive massage and reflexology treatment in house without having to look for it somewhere else in the city. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: if you want to save money book directly
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mani S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Manchester
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We arrived at this hotel after a long drive in bad cold weather. For the price we paid upfront per night (£95) we expected at the very least a warm room. The radiators are only on at certain times of the day so even by turing the radiator valve to maximum (which was done by the gentleman co-owner) it would only come on for a couple of hours per day. This obviously meant that hot water was also a major issue! Woke up in the morning to a cold room and absolute luke warm shower. We decided to leave early in the end after 2 nights (second night was also freewzing) and when I mentioned the temperature issues that we had to the European co-owner lady she the blamed the whole issue on me!!! Said that we should have woken up early if we wanted hot water and that I had turned the radiator valve the wrong way and turned it off. That was an obvious lie seeing as though it was her partner who had adjusted the radiator for us in the first place and that It did actually come on for the brief time of the day that it was programmed for! On reading earlier reviews about the hostility of this lady I didnt bother asking for a refund for the final night.

Overall considering the location, cold breakfast and general heating/cold water, I would say that this B&B is extremely overpriced. We have stayed at many places around the UK, Europe and the rest of the world and have paid far less for better hostel accomodation which was atleast warm with hot showers. I think a fair price for this B&B would be around the £60 mark.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ManchesterMilano
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Our plane was delayed and we arrived in Bath very late and very lost. We called a couple of places we found on the internet but no one was interested in helping. Luckily we found Roban House where the people were really interested in helping us out. They came to meet us despite that they were already closed for the night. They offered us very comfortable and cosy accommodation which was not expensive, very clean and had all we needed for a few days. The beds, bed linen and fluffy bath sheets made us stay in more rather than wandering round the city, for this reason we extended our stay and changed our plans making Bath our main location. We have since recommended this guest house to all our friends in Italy. Thank you again for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank martina a
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Greeted by an immediate wall of hostility by the rudest, most disgusting woman I’ve ever encountered. Room was dingy and the bed uncomfortable. When I said (very nicely) that my room was freezing (the radiator wasn’t working) I was barked at by this awful woman who said YOU SHOULD MOVE AROUND MORE. She is a grim disgrace, she absolutely ruined my birthday weekend away and she should be sacked. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Megan M
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2012

The hosts were just charming. Very helpful but not intrusive. I appreciated the cleanliness of my room and the wonderful bed linen. I wanted to be left alone and this is what happened although I appreciated that the hosts were just on the end of the phone. I had piece and quiet, saw and heard no one. The city centre was only 10 mins away and a lovely Italian cafe ( cafe 84) nearby served freshly made food at very reasonable prices. All in all very satisfying stay.

Room Tip: mine was the double en-suite
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank zofia k
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stayed at Roban House for three nights and loved our accommodation. Our room was clean, looked lovely, had plenty of storage and had the best bed I have ever slept in! Seriously, it was incredibly comfortable and had the best linen ever. Otherwise, I really appreciated the strong Wi-fi which is often rubbish, if not completely absent, with plenty of other accommodation providers. Our host was helpful, very patient and understanding with our late arrival. She was also happy to look after our bags well after our checkout time while we went off for a last look around Bath before catching our train.

The location is slightly out of the centre of Bath but is not a far walk from the attractions. I think there's a bus that goes down the road into the town centre if you don't feel like walking. In short, a really nice place to stay in a beautiful small city.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Greenfairy38
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Me and my partner have chosen The Roban House as a last minute option when decided to go out of London for couple of days. We contacted directly the place and agreed very reasonable last minute rate. On the top of that we got free upgrade to a very nice room which had a massive bed (I supposed super king size), which made a big difference, especially to me as Im in my 7 month pregnancy and as bigger bed as better! :) Very comfortable bedding too, egyptian cotton sheets, the room was clean, all facilities you need in the room such a TV, kettle, fridge... The owner, Anna was very helpful during our stay, reccomending the places and things to see and do.. The location was good too, 15 minutes from the centre, which I think is much nicer than to stay in the centre which I suppose is a bit noisy during the night, lot of students around. In overall, very pleased with the stay there, definitelly come back :)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple