“Great food, poor service”
Review of Bamboo Sushi - CLOSED

Bamboo Sushi
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 July 2014

A friend took me here for my recent birthday and unfortunately it was a disappointing experience. The food itself was fantastic but the service seriously let them down here! It was a Sunday night and we were the only ones in the restaurant (2 other tables arrived during our visit). The server was totally uninterested in us......a surprise given the extremely high standards of service I have experienced from the Japanese. We were barely met with a hello, shown a table and there were certainly no pleasantries despite her knowing we were celebrating a birthday. Our order was taken without a smile - starters and main courses. Things improved when the food arrived, it was very good; fresh and flavourful. Unfortunately we were only half way through our starters when my friends main course was plonked down on the table without a word! The rest of service continued this way - in my opinion the server had no interest whatsoever in being there. For the duration of our visit when she wasn't bringing food to the table she stood at the end of the bar drinking out of a bottle and playing on her phone. She did sit with another worker to eat - I do not appreciate seeing my server spitting food out (fish bones I think?) or indeed picking bones out of her mouth then getting up and serving food when someone from the kitchen brought a dish up.
We were looking for more than just food, we wanted an experience, and were sadly let down. Yes, the sushi is lovely, but the serious lack of atmosphere and the tired and dirty surroundings are a real let down. I ventured down the stairs to the toilet.....when I returned I told my friend to wait until we got somewhere else. Dirty stairs, sticky bannister, dirty walls and unpleasant toilets. Lots of rubbish stacked at the bottom of the stairs.
A disappointment given some of the reviews - my recommendation would be order your sushi to take out.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Visited on a recent trip to Bath and was very impressed with the food and the service. All items ordered were delicious, highly recommended for sushi lovers!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Went there on a Wednesday evening with my husband, it was quiet but there were a couple of other tables in (we had initially tried to book a table but the waitress didn't ask for my name over the phone!). We had one of their sushi selections along with some unagi and soft shell crab rolls. Everything was very freshly prepared, the prawn in our prawn tempura rolls was still hot when served. The service was prompt, and the prices were comparable with other sushi restaurants in town, although Bamboo were doing a 20% off deal when we were there which made it better value. Would like to go there again and try some of their non-sushi dishes as there were lots of items on the menu that looked tempting.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

There are not a lot of Japanese restaurants in Bath so was quite excited when a friend took me here for lunch. The lunch bento set menu is very affordable at £8.95 which includes miso soup, main dish, tempura, seaweed salad and a few pieces of sashimi. We tried the salmon teriyaki and assorted sushi set. Both are very nice and delicious.

We also ordered some a la carte sushi rolls. The dragon roll was very nice and the tempura prawn was nicely deep fried without the soggy textures.

However, was very disappointed with the portion of the a la carte sashimi. Very small pieces and not cheap. Also we went on a bank holiday Monday and some of the sashimi were not available.

Overall, good quality Japanese place for no-frills quick lunch or dinner.

1  Thank Kent O
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Good atmosphere, wonderful food prepared as you wait; try the sesame and wasabi ice-creams - doesn't sound like it should work, but it does! Prices weren't too bad for sushi either, considering how eye waveringly expensive it can be in some paces!