“Wonderful!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The decor is very sophisticated, nice touches everywhere and I look forward to sitting outside next time to have a pre dinner drink. The food was fantastic. It's many years since I had a meal cooked by Blunos but he hasn't lost his touch!! The staff were very friendly too. It's great to have a fish restaurant of this standard in Bath. Would highly recommend it.

2  Thank DeborahBath_UK

Reviewed 18 August 2014

A very important supper planned with a friend of almost fifty years standing and too rarely met obviously merited some special effort and preparation.

An internet search and careful study of the website necessitated then exchange of several checking emails with restaurant manager. It transpired that a special, genuine French type Fruites de Mer could be available and the booking was made.

The dish was served - eventually - after several unordered preliminaries, like bread and an oversized amuse bouche. Given this mis-timing one guesses that this was to give the kitchen time to prepare, although the place was not conspicuously busy on the night.
And this despite booking well before the date and being in the restaurant/bar for an hour or so to boot.

When it came, it in no way resembled the classic French dish, being served on a polished wooden platter hewn from a log .

This was so wide compared with the table that the oval eating plates tipped into our laps before being replaced

The point of the French serving method is that given the scale of the dish, eating it is a lengthy business and so it is served on a bed of seaweed on ice. Now some of the crab and lobster and bits were so served but in a large bowl plonked on the log. The remaining features being scattered around the dish on the log. Thus the outside parts warmed up and by the end one was reduced to fishing around in a bowl of cold water for the remaining components.

Admittedly there is a dish of seafood of some sort illustrated on the webpage showing Chef Bluno arranging pieces on a log platter, and indeed they kindly added at extra cost an additional shellfish.

However the edible crab had not been cooked long enough and the flesh was still soft and slimy. Why this went unnoticed as the creature was cut for serving is a mystery.

The lobster was miniscule and maybe too young to have suffered this fate. I have had prawns that were bigger.

The prawns were well chilled and, I suspect, not long defrosted

There were but two oysters on the platter which was supposed to be, and was charged for, as for two people. A two inch diameter by one inch deep ramekin of mayonnaise and an eggcup of shallot/wine vinegar sauce were both very mean for two diners with a big dish. The latter sauce had an excess of vinegar. Requesting extra mayonnaise was lengthy in order to get attention, until a another diner did attract some attention and kindly redirected it to my table.

A bowl for shells was not provided until requested.

All such details in fine dining are important. And it should have been fine dining at almost £80 a head.

In essence this was not a good authentic dish, but badly prepared and poorly presented and padded out with an excess of prawns and mussels. It would have made a French Chef weep.

The waiter confirmed that (contrary to what was intimated by Chef Martin Bluno in a statement in a restaurant launch newspaper article), they served very few examples of this dish - and indeed this showed.

The service was patchy but the wine was excellent.

However the slow and spasmodic start to the meal, the concept and presentation were idiosyncratic to the point of error.

I shall not return.

2  Thank Barrance007
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Recently ate here after hearing conflicting views. Very glad we did as it was an excellent meal and first class,friendly service. Martin,the chef brought' bit's' out between courses and gave brief explanation. My only gripe,and that's because I'm a dessert person, not enough choice of desserts. Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our visit.Well done to all May your success be long lived. We shall return.

2  Thank Otleylad
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Summary: Blunos is a very unique restaurant, and possibly one of the best seafood restaurants I have ever eaten at in the UK. Will it be for you depends on the occasion. There are some tiny little flaws (no place is ever perfect), but I felt like my nitpicking didn't deserve to give it only 4 stars (which would be unfair considering the excellent value for money). 5 stars it is!

Pricing: 130 including tip for 2 including starters, mains, bottle of wine, complimentary dessert and coffee. That's good value in my book for a fine dining experience led by its eponymous Chef.

Ambience: "Blunos is Martin Blunos' restaurant" sounds like the most boring factoid ever written but is important in this context. You can see Martin's involvement in everything and at times it felt that the rest of the staff was only here to support him. Martin interacts with the clientele and even delivers both amuse bouche and a rather peculiar meringue 'palate cleanser' at the end of the dinner. If you're a foodie and are aware of who Martin is, you'll love this (I did).

Seating: I loved the use of space, very sparse tables with plenty of room. A great change of pace from other establishments trying to cram as many clients as possible. Are the plexiglass octupus, Ikea-like toilets and green chairs a bit of a oddity? Yes, they are. I'd rather would have seen furnishings that match the beautiful entrance and clever 'fish display' near the kitchen. A bit disappointed the display was just that, a display, and not the actual fish I would eat, but is there a reason why that's the case?

Food: The Amuse bouche was unexpected and sumptuous. The crap tortellinis starters where far beyond expectation at this price point and presented the way you'd expect in a Michelin restaurant. The pan-fried brills where cooked to perfection, although I wasn't a big fan of the accompanying veggies (especially olives) which I didn't feel were telling a good 'story' with this particular dish. And why in the world would the waitress advise me to get a side of mash (perfect mash, granted) when the main dish already had mash and really didn't require further mash?

Drinks: Yes, the wine list is as short as it's excellent. Some reviewers didn't like it, personally I really appreciated picking up a lovely, reasonably priced bottle which I knew the staff had made sure would be perfect for seafood.

5/5 - will definitely come back when I'm in the area.

1  Thank Saronthina
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I visited Blunos in late July this year after being recommended the place by a friend. I'd heard good things about the restaurant ahead of the visit and I was certainly not disappointed. The food was exceptional, with perfectly balanced dishes and an excellent wine selection. The service is first class and the staff were courteous and polite throughout. We even had the pleasure of meeting Martin, who admirably came out from the kitchen to speak to guests.

I rarely write reviews on Trip Advisor but given the quality of this evening, I felt obliged to leave a quick note. If you are local in the city or are visiting Bath over the next few months then Blunos is an absolute must.

3  Thank BLDNHK