“Excellent food”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Bath, UK
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Visited Blunos with some girlfriends in early August. We had a lovely time with some great food and good service. Excellent crab tortellini and some more unusual fish, including Stonefish. You could spend a lot of money in here, but we kept it fairly simple and the bill, with a couple of bottles of wine, came to £40 a head, which I think was pretty good value for the quality of the ingredients and the cooking.

Martin Blunos was actually cooking and took time at the end of the evening to come and speak to every table. That might be a little clichéd but I think it was good customer service and he was genuinely interested in what we thought of the food.

I wasn't mad about the décor, but that's a personal thing and possibly it's also because I can remember the same venue as a bit of a dodgy disco in the 1980s!

1 Thank JH1_9

London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Food and Service 10/10 A+”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I have never written a Trip advisor review for a restaurant but after tonights sublime experience I feel that others should experience what fine dining and incredible service is like when visiting the beautiful city of Bath.
I started with the Scallops which were the best I have ever had they were beautifully presented and just melted in your mouth the subtle flavours allowed you to really taste the dish and they were delicious ,the rest of my family including my children also loved their starters this included succulent prawns and smoked salmon.
For the main course I ordered the Sea Bass with Chilli and Ginger I have eaten a lot of Sea Bass but never like this , the fish was huge and cooked to perfection I wish it never ended ,complimented with a perfect quantity of seasonal vegetables , my wife had the Lobster which was sweet and generous unlike so many times when you order this dish and are generally disappointed and my children and Mother had the Beer Battered Cod and Fat chips there was nothing left on anyones plate. The deserts consisted of a round of Apple Crumble with Real Custard once again a simply delicious traditional dish cooked to absolute perfection needless to say everyones plates were empty. Whilst all this was happening its important to recognise the Staff who were attentive and polite throughout the evening we loved Sofiane's attention to detail and being made to feel really special by everyone.On a separate note the fabulous Cocktails and Sharps Beer offered the perfect compliment to an outstanding evening in this great restaurant with a great atmosphere. Thank you Martin and all your great staff we will be back soon Bath is lucky to have you.

4 Thank PKANDLQ
“Service? What service!”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Starting on a positive note - We enjoyed two really delicious starters: Crispy whitebait/Crab Tortellini (out of this world!) Mains: Pollock with Grilled Veg/Plaice with mushroom duxelle - also very good. The plates were hot, perfectly cooked and seasoned.

However, the service was just terrible!! We ate on a busy Saturday (Bank Hol) evening, but that should be no excuse for the lack of/poor service we received. It started off relatively attentive but rapidly went downhill. We waited 30mins for our mains to be taken away (not nice given it was fish bones etc!) Had to ask for the bill 3x until eventually it arrived after another 15mins or so. We complained and they were quite apologetic - offering a slight discount off our bill.

Overall, bit of shame that the service let down our overall experience.

Bath, UK
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

The decor is very sophisticated, nice touches everywhere and I look forward to sitting outside next time to have a pre dinner drink. The food was fantastic. It's many years since I had a meal cooked by Blunos but he hasn't lost his touch!! The staff were very friendly too. It's great to have a fish restaurant of this standard in Bath. Would highly recommend it.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank DeborahBath_UK
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Disappointing.”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

A very important supper planned with a friend of almost fifty years standing and too rarely met obviously merited some special effort and preparation.

An internet search and careful study of the website necessitated then exchange of several checking emails with restaurant manager. It transpired that a special, genuine French type Fruites de Mer could be available and the booking was made.

The dish was served - eventually - after several unordered preliminaries, like bread and an oversized amuse bouche. Given this mis-timing one guesses that this was to give the kitchen time to prepare, although the place was not conspicuously busy on the night.
And this despite booking well before the date and being in the restaurant/bar for an hour or so to boot.

When it came, it in no way resembled the classic French dish, being served on a polished wooden platter hewn from a log .

This was so wide compared with the table that the oval eating plates tipped into our laps before being replaced

The point of the French serving method is that given the scale of the dish, eating it is a lengthy business and so it is served on a bed of seaweed on ice. Now some of the crab and lobster and bits were so served but in a large bowl plonked on the log. The remaining features being scattered around the dish on the log. Thus the outside parts warmed up and by the end one was reduced to fishing around in a bowl of cold water for the remaining components.

Admittedly there is a dish of seafood of some sort illustrated on the webpage showing Chef Bluno arranging pieces on a log platter, and indeed they kindly added at extra cost an additional shellfish.

However the edible crab had not been cooked long enough and the flesh was still soft and slimy. Why this went unnoticed as the creature was cut for serving is a mystery.

The lobster was miniscule and maybe too young to have suffered this fate. I have had prawns that were bigger.

The prawns were well chilled and, I suspect, not long defrosted

There were but two oysters on the platter which was supposed to be, and was charged for, as for two people. A two inch diameter by one inch deep ramekin of mayonnaise and an eggcup of shallot/wine vinegar sauce were both very mean for two diners with a big dish. The latter sauce had an excess of vinegar. Requesting extra mayonnaise was lengthy in order to get attention, until a another diner did attract some attention and kindly redirected it to my table.

A bowl for shells was not provided until requested.

All such details in fine dining are important. And it should have been fine dining at almost £80 a head.

In essence this was not a good authentic dish, but badly prepared and poorly presented and padded out with an excess of prawns and mussels. It would have made a French Chef weep.

The waiter confirmed that (contrary to what was intimated by Chef Martin Bluno in a statement in a restaurant launch newspaper article), they served very few examples of this dish - and indeed this showed.

The service was patchy but the wine was excellent.

However the slow and spasmodic start to the meal, the concept and presentation were idiosyncratic to the point of error.

I shall not return.