“What a fantastic find...”

Queen Charlotte's Orangery
Ranked #67 of 154 Bath B&B and Inns
Sussex
“What a fantastic find...”
Reviewed 19 February 2009

Queen Charlotte's Orangery in Bath was a fantastic find! We stayed in the Amelia Room, which has THE most comfortable bed we have ever slept in. It is a unique place, and the hosts Greg and Denise were so welcoming! The central location means a short walk down beautiful pulteney street and you're in amongst all of the Bath attractions within minutes. The perfect place to stay!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Surrey
Reviewed 17 December 2008

We recently spent a long weekend in Bath for the Christmas Markets and stayed at the Queen Charlotte Orangery. This B & B is delightful, quaint and quirky. The owners are very friendly and welcoming. We stayed in the Charlotte suite, (accessed by walking through the main kitchen and into its own little entrance), which has an enormous silver bed, very comfy, and French windows overlooking the Italian ornate patio garden. The bathroom had a walk in shower, enormous fluffy towels, robes and under floor heating although the bedroom was a bit too warm for our liking and we switched off the additional heater. You enter the main B & B through the orangery wall into a circular breakfast/dining room with a beautiful domed glass roof and two very large French doors onto the patio gardens. It would be delightful to stay here in the summer and eat outside. We thought it was lovely to share a breakfast table with the other guests (total of 3 rooms so never more than 6 dining) but understand this not to everyone’s taste. Breakfast was a generous plate of fresh fruit and full English cooked to order, very tasty, but I do have a couple of points to make. I hate having to ask for more and we did have to ask for more toast, we also had to request jam as the pot was empty. There were no napkins or condiments on the table and although they were provided when asked for it would have been better not to ask, and the sauces came in the plastic bottles – decanting would have been a better idea and more fitting of the surroundings, the butter was in little dishes so why not the condiments? I think at the rates charged these are the little things that would make it ‘perfect’ I would also like to see displayed fire and safety regulations, opening the French windows in our room took a while and was the only exit apart from going through the kitchen and dining room. We were given a parking permit with the room (at a £10 daily charge) which enabled you to park anywhere in zone 1. Perfect for shopping as we left the car by the bridge and just kept popping back to fill the boot! The Orangery is a 10 minute walk from the centre of town and almost opposite the park and art museum. I love Bath and this place was a bit different to the usual hotels we stay in. We really enjoyed our stay here, if you like old and non matching this is the perfect place to stay. We can also recommend Clarkes bar and restaurant on the corner of Poultney Bridge for excellent Sunday roasts and warm hospitality. Woods restaurant and the Moon and Sixpence are also worth a visit for a delicious meal.

• Liked — the originality
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan H
london
Reviewed 6 December 2008

We spent a very enjoyable 2 nights B&B. We found the house the same as it was described on the website. On arrival we were offered a tray of tea which was very welcome following our long drive from London.
Our room was decorated to a very high quality with a lovely 4 poster bed. The furniture was antique and very suited to the room.
We had a nice spacious en-suite bathroom with good quality towels & tolietries. Our room was cleaned well each day.
We found Greg very hospitible.
The breakfast was hearty & fresh. There was fresh fruit daily which was very nice.
All in all a very enjoyable stay in the beautiful city of Bath which we hope to return to soon.

• Liked — The Old world ambience
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
dorset
Reviewed 6 December 2008

Booked this as part of my daughters 21st birthday celebrations. We were in Bath for two days with one spent at the Thermae Spa and the second shopping.
We arrived at the hotel and were greeted very warmly and shown to our room, The Charlotte Suite. No other review indicated that this room is reached through the owners kitchen which was quite messy and just made me feel as if I was intruding.
The suite was a nice size and layout , through a short passage stocked with books and, a very weird touch ,photographs of the owners . Shower room on the right and bedroom at the end.
The bedroom was ok sizewise , large bed, daughter loved it , silver 4 poster very princessy, I noticed the peeling silver paint. This was my overall impression, every thing was as in the photos and as described by other reviewers just much more tired. Lots of tears in the wall paper, thinning sofa fabric, not shabby chic just shabby. The water marks running down the bathroom wallpaper I found particularly offputting.
Through less seeing eyes it was declared perfect and for a mother and daughter break, if you are the sort who dont mind sharing a bed it was great fun. I think most men would run screaming.
Breakfast was absolutely 1st class. Large platter of exotic fruits beautifully presented, cereals, huge full english beautifully cooked (super sausages )or just a poached egg on brown toast if that was your preference.
So overall a tough one to grade, certainly unique but just too shabby for me to be comfortable to recommend it.
However at least we got in , see my review of the Mandeville London for part two of the 21st birthday celabrations !

• Liked — brekfast
  • Disliked — shabbiness
  • Stayed December 2008
3 Thank eftgy
Devon
Reviewed 3 December 2008

What a great little place, a very warm welcome, very different just like stepping back in time without the period costume,if were back in bath will be back again!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
North London
Reviewed 28 November 2008

My husband & I spent the weekend in Bath & found this charming B&B on the internet. We were pleasantly surprised to how beautiful everything was & how cosy & relaxed it was. It was only a short walk to the town centre so very convinient. We stayed in the Charlotte room which was very comfortable & spacious. The bed was the most comfortable one that I have slept on.. On Sunday morning although breakfast time was a little too early for us we were delighted to have a freshly cooked breakfast with freshly cut fruit & freshly squeezed orange juice. Craig the owner made us feel very welcomed & we would most definately recommend a friend & return when we revisit Bath.
Gemma & Brian

• Liked — The comfortable Bed & thick robes & towels & the freshley cookied breakfast
  • Disliked — Not having access to refrigerator for additional milk for coffee.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Sussex
Reviewed 6 November 2008

My husband found this Guest House on the Internet and thought it was something slightly unusual so suggested my friend and I stay there. The lady I spoke to on the phonw when I booked assured me they could offer me a twin room for me and my friend. and as she sounded quite friendly I went ahead and booked.It is not an easy place to find as the building is actually part of Sydney Mews and the front door is in the wall.
On entering you go straight into the circular room which is used as the Breakfast room and from there you go straight into your bedroom. We stayed in the Amelia room but had to move the furniture slightly to make it into more of a twin . It was a large bed that they had separated in the middle. The room and en-suite were clean and comfortable and the decorations were all period.
I was surprised there were no fire regulations posted in the room or details of breakfast times etc. The owner never told us what time breakfast was and there was no milk in the room for tea and coffee. Breakfast was adequate but had to laugh at the menu saying sausages were only cooked to order. The owner was helpful regarding ordering taxis for us but I did wonder if he was a little pre-occupied at times.We never saw the wife.There is a 3% charge if you pay by credit card.

• Liked — Garden but in summer only
  • Disliked — I did not like my bedroom leading straight into the room used for breakfast. You could hear them laying the table.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends