“Great lunch venue”

Cuisines: Chinese
London
“Great lunch venue”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I visit at lunchtimes with colleagues from work or on my own. The food is amazing and authentic, you only have to look at the clientele to realise that this is something special. The duck satay and szechwan chicken are fantastic dishes. There are so many to choose from that it can be very difficult to decide. I like the rice options, you can choose to have boiled rice which helps on the calorie intake and allows you to enjoy the taste of whatever dish you are choosing. Service is fast and the food is hot when served. Perfect place to visit for lunch!

• Visited March 2013

Princeton, New Jersey
“Excellent Noodle House”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Great for lunch or a quick bite to eat. Studied abroad in Bath and this was one of my favorite restaurants by far. The noodles were brought out fast and fresh, and you got a large portion for the money. Wish I could cross the pond just to go back.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank ShaneSimon
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Hot noodles on a cold day = magic!”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Happened upon this place after a session at the gym when I was feeling hungry. Very nice functional design and good staff. Had Satay noodle bowl. Amazing! Full of chicken, beef, pork and prawns.Easily a couple of slabs of noodles, heaps of lovely veg and chilli peppers with a lovely satay sauce. £7.50 - absolute bargain which filled me up. A very tasty late lunch, will definitely eat here again.

• Visited January 2013
Bath
“Wise man say: If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence you tried.”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Recently, at Bath's Hong Kong Bistro I was fortunate enough to chomp on a plate of Pad Thai. It was so wonderful that much like one would kick-start a gerbil with a brick, so it kick-started a train of thoughts that began with a reminiscence of a hotel in Thailand where I floundered about in the pool awaiting a seemingly-inevitable harpoon. My thoughts danced about a little further (pausing momentarily on a woman in Thailand who did something rather disturbing with a ping-pong ball for money) before finally settling on the idea that the only thing to make Bath's Hong Kong Bistro more authentic was for Bruce Lee to leap out of the kitchen and karate-chop me in the neck.

It could, of course, easily be determined that the latter was not the most rational of the thoughts buzzing and pinging about in my head that day, particularly given that Pad Thai is not one of the mainstays of Chinese cuisine and that Bruce Lee is sadly long-dead. It was however, yet another dish from the Hong Kong Bistro that compelled my taste buds to dance a merry jig and swiftly despatch a memo to my tummy to inform it that it would soon be very happy indeed.

I have visited the Hong Kong Bistro on more than one occasion, albeit only for lunch, and unlike making a visit to my bank, not once have I ever been so disappointed with the experience that I have pondered hurling through the door a wildly-shaken box of wasps.

While Bath's Hong Kong Bistro does not necessarily pride itself on either its decor or its service, it would be fair to suggest that the reason is simply because it does not need to. There is nothing wrong with either thing, and I would describe both as simple and effective. Sure, I would not object to being hand-fed truffles by supermodels while I sat on the back of a small platinum horse, but this is not the place for such necessities. Bath's Hong Kong Bistro is more a canteen for quick, awesome food, service with an absence of French waiters being snotty, rude and stereotyped, and for daydreaming about Bruce Lee or the cartoon character, Hong Kong Phooey.

In terms of price, it is roughly half as expensive as something that costs twice as much. My Pad Thai was, for example, half the price of almost six sandwiches from Waitrose, but in terms of value-for-money, unless someone shows me somewhere I can buy a clone of Cheryl Cole for thirty quid, there is little comparison in Bath.

On the whole, to conclude and at the end of the day an' that (know what I mean, innit?) Bath's Hong Kong Bistro is an excellent place for lunch. I may actually go there for dinner one day too. You should visit them very soon.

• Visited September 2012
12 Thank NostrangertotheP45
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Hong Kong Bistro value for money”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We ate here before attending a pattie Smith concert at The Forum its very handy for a pre show meal. The atmosphere is very stark like a canteen however the food is excellent and the night we were in about 75% of the customers were oriental so that speaks for itself as far as authenticity goes. The only negative point was the rather offhand manner of the staff who were efficient but not at all friendly and seemed to be indifferent to any attempt to catch there eye or offer any service. saying that the meal was good vale for money and the service was quick, its not the sort of place to linger over a meal.

• Visited June 2012