“Good fine dining experience”
Review of The Olive Tree

The Olive Tree
Ranked #27 of 577 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$46 - US$78
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Olive Tree Restaurant in the Queensberry Hotel has gained local popularity and national renown as one of the premiere dining places in Bath. The hotel is a stylish contemporary boutique hotel, but the restaurant is an oasis of calm modernity, with excellent British food served with a great attention to detail in relaxed, informal surroundings.
London, United Kingdom
“Good fine dining experience”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My boyfriend and I came here to celebrate his birthday and we had a very good evening.

We have been to several Michelin Star restaurants (The Fat Duck, Helene Darroze, Le Champignon Sauvage, Quay in Sydney, etc.) and also to many high-end restaurants without stars. I can say that, while the food might lack the originality or wow factor usually linked to a star, it's not very far off and we really enjoyed our meal.
We had the tasting menu with matching wines. The food in itself was beautifully cooked, and savours worked together. However, it wasn't very unusual and the dishes that I will really remember I suppose are the desserts as I had never had rhubarb and peanut butter while the scallops/quail/halibut creations reminded me a lot of other dishes I had in the past. For these dishes, we found that the wine pairing really brought it to the next level, and I would nearly say that you should definitely include it if you go for the tasting menu (don't take it as optional). It brought the flavours to life, and gave a new dimension to the experience. I also hadn't had red with halibut and white with quail before, nor had I had dry tokai, and I feel that I learned about wine this weekend thanks to that.
I had booked two months in advance, mentioning the birthday in my email, and the manager didn't forget: Happy Birthday was written on my boyfriend's plate, which was a very nice touch.

Service was very good, diligent but not intrusive. The atmosphere was lovely, with some soft music in the background, and the restaurant was full which is always nice as we felt we could have a private conversation without whispering, and were totally comfortable.
We liked the deco, which is quite modern and reminded us of the Champignon Sauvage and even the Fat Duck. It seems to be a trend at the moment and it works so why not.

For £60 (£95 with wine), this is good value food and I would be happy to recommend to other guests looking for a special place.

1 Thank Tabyria

• Greek first
Zurich, Switzerland
“Fresh and delicous”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We had our best meal during a holiday week in England in the Olive Tree Restaurant: Really delicous food, with a French touch, very fresh and surprising in a positive way. The mousse of artichocks was just wonderful, they know how to do modern cooking. Everything is done with perfection, from the fresh bread that comes in the right hot temperature on the table until the refined combination of deserts.

London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Food”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is a must restaurant to visit the food was so good and the staff were really friendly . We visited bath for the weekend and after a long day of site seeing we had the perfect end to the day at this restaurant we could not get a table until 9.30 but was well worth waiting for as the food was amazing. The chef really knows his stuff .

Benson, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal for a special birthday”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We had a really lovely evening at The Olive Tree for my husband's 50th birthday. The staff were friendly and helpful, the food was amazing and it had a lovely chilled out atmosphere. Would definitely recommend eating here.

Tring
“Top quality modern cooking should be Michelin starred”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The Olive Tree is well hidden below the Queensberry Hotel and is reached down a staircase from the street. Once inside, it reveals itself to be elegant and smart. The food is absolutely beautiful and the service refined and efficient. This chef really knows his stuff. highly recommended.

Visited April 2014

Been to The Olive Tree? Share your experiences!