“Excellent Meal”

Price range: US$46 - US$79
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Olive Tree Restaurant in the Queensberry Hotel has gained local popularity and national renown as one of the premiere dining places in Bath. The hotel is a stylish contemporary boutique hotel, but the restaurant is an oasis of calm modernity, with excellent British food served with a great attention to detail in relaxed, informal surroundings.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had an exceptional meal at the Olive Tree. The food was exquisitely served and the combination of flavours was outstanding. We will return to try the rest of the menu!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

A recent visit for lunch proved to be an exceptional and wonderful dining experience at the Olive Tree.

I have been to the Olive Tree on a previous occasion a few years back, and had enjoyed an excellent meal at that time therefore, it was nice to revisit and find that the standard, I was expecting and hoping for, had not waned.

We started our “girlie” lunch with cocktails which were excellent and most welcome on the warm Friday. Sitting outside in the courtyard we passed a rather pleasant and most enjoyable hour with our drinks before we dined.

The restaurant was very quiet but this suited us as we received a consistent high standard of service throughout the meal.

A good amuse-bouche started the meal and I was delighted when on serving the bread I found that the Olive Tree serves its butter whipped with cream until light in both colour and texture. This is not a common practice in restaurants but is a firm favourite with me and the waiter was more than happy to supply us with extra portions.

A starter of lobster, cooked perfectly in a creamy sauce was excellent and it was closely followed by another firm favourite of mine, veal. Cooked 2 ways in a light and delicate sauce, that thankfully did not overpower the quality of the meat and expertise of the kitchen I was provided with a fantastic main course. The portion sizes were perfect.

The dessert course was a first for me as I opted for the unusual basil soufflé which was as light as a feather and literally melted in the mouth. I found the taste somewhat strange, at first, but surprisingly after a few mouthfuls I found that it worked, and that it worked well, served warm with a good quality sorbet this was a delight for the taste-buds.

My fellow diners opted for the mackerel starter and enjoyed the lamb and fish main course and we were all in agreement as to the quality of ingredients and skill of the chef and kitchen that had gone into each course to make this a fantastic lunch.

The meal was accompanied by an excellent Laurent Perrier, Rose and was an excellent choice for the superb light but satisfying meals we had all enjoyed.

Good dessert wine, although the choice was slightly limited and a couple of my personal favourites missing from the list. However, I am not one to let these little things spoil my day!

It was also great to find that they provided a selection of dessert cocktails and the Brandy Alexander was the icing on the cake to what only can be described as a most pleasant and memorable lunch.

I am looking forward to, and already planning a further visit.

2  Thank Cazz111_12
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Bath is not blessed with many good restaurants, so The Olive Tree deserves attention. Although it is situated in a hotel, the actual restaurant room is intimate and very pleasant. The food is best described as 'elegant' and the service is highly competent. Additionally, the chef does his very best to accommodate special requests without fuss. It was a very good find.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I think this is more of a 4.5 star rather than 5 star restaurant - it's wonderful and a treat, but not quite Michelin star level. I pre-informed them of my food intolerance and they printed off a special menu for me - I had options for all the courses, without having to wait for staff going back and forth to check with the chef. Pudding was incredible! The mains were good but not as wow as we had hoped for. Staff were attentive and friendly. It was quiet when we arrived (at 19.45) but filled up later into the evening - the ambiance was better then.

1  Thank KikiMH
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Went for dinner to celebrate graduating earlier in the day. The service was just shy of being overbearing, but was excellent nonetheless. Delicious food; creative, original and beautifully presented. Excellently priced, fitting in a price range one would expect for a special occasion without being extravagant or prohibitive. Even when full restaurant felt rather intimate. Would have rather not been seated next to the bussing station though, especially since the restaurant was almost empty when we arrived.