“Delightful”

Sally Lunn's Historic Eating House & Museum
Ranked #64 of 587 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$0 - US$24
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Sally Lunn's - The oldest house in Bath
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was a delightful building with charm and tradition. Excellent service and a lovely afternoon tea. The buns were delicious, try the lemon curd. The best tea(to drink) I have had for along time, including home made! All the best things that are done well in our country.

1  Thank Gillian G
There are newer reviews for Sally Lunn's Historic Eating House & Museum

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My wife, daughter and I decided to grab lunch in Sally Lunns in Bath as I had a hospital appointment which finished early. My wife and I have eaten here before several years ago and have tried several times since but the queues for a table are often out the front door! This quaint eaterie attracts many overseas tourists, particularly from the far east so it has quite extensive appeal.
The premises are quite small and spread over 2 floors plus a small museum and shop in the tiny basement. We got a table in the small room on the first floor. The building is noted as being the oldest in Bath and, as a result the floors are a trifle uneven making some tables a little wobbly but easily solved with a folded wad of paper napkins!
The menu almost exclusively includes the famous Sally Lunn Bun which is the original Bath Bun, either as it is or toasted and served hot or cold with a large variety of sweet or savoury delicious fillings. A wide variety of drinks are also available including a very good selection of speciality teas.
The service is good and, considering the busy staff are continually ascending and descending the quaint stairs, they do well to provide such an energetic service!
Prices are on par with other decent Bath eateries with the light lunch for 3 costing about £30 (2014 prices).
The museum is worth a look before departing and the delicious Buns are available to take home, in the shop.
The only negative to this interesting place is the fact that its a tourist magnet and so busy, particularly at lunchtimes and getting seated could be challenging!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Had the bun with the lemon curd - according to the hype I should have then had a grin from ear to ear - I didn't, but quite enjoyed it nonetheless! Rose tea to accompany the bun which wasn't s strongly flavoured as I'd imagined it might be, but that's the way it was. Worth a visit to experience the old worlde charm.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We made a reservation at Sally Lunn's weeks before our recent trip to England and Wales. The trip began in Bath, and we wanted a great place to dine on our first night in town, before the official tour began the next day. So we were very new to the city—and the country—when we sat down to eat there. The staff made us feel very welcome, and the food was excellent—including the world-historical buns. No stress, no fuss, just warm hospitality and really good food. Thanks, Sally!

1  Thank Bob K
Reviewed 9 August 2014

In Bath and teatime so where else to go but the famous Sally Lunn's. There marketing of this restaurant is such that it is an attraction in its own right (all tourist information offices) so I did approach here with the expectation of steep prices and hoards of tourists. The building itself was unassuming which was positive - I expected overkill of faux 17th Century - I nearly walked past it. Inside there was little attempt to reconstruct so one of the best features of the eating house was the narrow halls, winding staircases where you had to mind your head in places and the almost spartan rooms. We were shown up to the 3rf floor - not so busy like the ones below which was nice.

Great play is made of the Sally Lunn bun (original bath bun) and in the entrance hallway glowing testimonials from celebrities are accorded to it. I was tempted to try it, but the most popular method with cinnamon butter sounded too plain for me so I the savory option with smoked salmon caught my attention. I also wanted a cream tea and was musing whether to order the savoury + cream tea option or just the cream tea but thankfully my head ruled my stomach and I opted for the latter. I say this as the tables in the room ordered the bun which was nothing like I expected i.e. the modern Bath bun rather this was almost like a large teacake/bread nearly the size of the plate. Personally a bun on it's own would have been too plain so I would definitely recommend having a savory on it.

My cream tea consisted of two homemade scones (hot just out of the oven), a pot of clotted cream and a pot of jam; ad and a small teapot each (wide variety available) with additional pot of hot water (some diners did not appear to know what this was for!), milk and sugar. Very relaxing with excellent courteous service.

My only criticism - and I must stress this did not affect me - but when leaving I saw a group being turned away. Apparently they wanted tea but where told only serving dinner from 6pm - they appeared confused as a sign on the window said all day tea served.