“High Expectations”

The Eastern Eye
Ranked #156 of 612 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Mahal of Exquisite Indian Cuisine with the cities most impressive Georgian interior and triple domed high ceiling. Here at The Eastern Eye we are humbled and elated to have received multiple Restaurant of the Year Awards in 2011, along with a whole host of other accolades and positive reviews from popular magazines, newspapers and awards bodies. We specialize in wholesome traditional Indian food, with a touch of imagination and creative flair. We use some of the finest ingredients and pay immense attention to ensuring flavours are not only grounded in Indian culinary heritage, but also now and again break the mould with flavour combinations that are both unique and exceptionally delicious.
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Our travel book rated the Eastern Eye as excellent. We would rate this as good but not excellent. The restaurant is one very large room so as the place filled up it got very noisy. The service was very good but I felt rushed to order and our food was delivered almost instantly with hardly time to relax and enjoy a drink. We ordered chicken tiki masala, Dahl, paneer, and naan. The portions were generous and tasty but not special. I expected more from an Indian restaurant in Great Britian.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,013)

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Returned to this restaurant after being away from the area for 4 years and I'm happy to report it's a good as ever. Comprehensive menu, with good quality flavoursome dishes. Don't be put off by the fact that the restaurant only looks like a doorway and some stairs, since the first floor eating area is actually an amazingly large hall with vaulted ceilings and huge murals on the walls.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

An unassuming and steep staircase from Quiet Street leads to a lofty dining hall that suggests you are in a palace or grand mansion. The service was a little too formal and subservient for my liking (although this formality was consistent with the appearance of the room) but the service was also a little inattentive. However, the menu offered a wide range of traditional and unfamiliar Indian dishes, including vegetarian options. I particularly enjoyed the Balti Massalla. Although it was rated medium hot, the sub-flavours were distinct and well balanced. Our party of 4 each ordered two courses and a beer and the bill was 90 pounds. I would rate the food between good and excellent and the service between good and poor. The dining room is spectacular and the value is good. If you like the quirky and enjoy being treated like the British Raj, this is your place!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have been here to celebrate my 23 birthday and it was definitively the best place for it !! As a French food lover I can say that it is my favorite restaurant in England (and I have been in so many around England...)
I recommend this place if you are looking for nice food, nice place (you will be surprised trust me !) and friendly people.
Special thanks to the manager for his birthday present :)

Reviewed 18 July 2014

It's an unassuming entrance to a beautiful room, originally a Victorian ballroom. We came for lunch and choose the lunchtime three course set menu which was a bargain at £8.50. There is a comprehensive a la carte offered if you feel more adventurous. Like most Indian restaurants, don't expect it to be full at lunchtime, which is a bonus for us as we like a fairly quite atmosphere. It was a hot day and the restaurant was nicely air conditioned. The staff were great, our orders were taken for drinks and papadoms, which came quickly. Our starters arrived promptly, as did or main course. We finished it off with the ice cream. Throughout the meal the waiters were very attentive and helpfull. The food was delicious. The decorated ceiling, large windows and ornate atmosphere made it a meal to remember.