“Good value afternoon tea in a lovely setting with pianist”

The Pump Room Restaurant
Ranked #46 of 575 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
UK
“Good value afternoon tea in a lovely setting with pianist”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Not sure if the pianist is always there but he was for our visit pre Christmas mid-week. Added a nice touch to the overall feeling in this large and well presented room which somehow didn't feel soulless despite its size.

We both had the standard afternoon tea, which was a good variety of sandwiches, scones and fancy cakes, they catered well for a dislike of one ingredient with a substitution. There was a very wide range of teas available, and enough served to not want anything else to eat for some considerable time afterwards.

Service for us on this day was good, I couldn't fault it, gave us a little time to choose, not too long, not too short, answered our questions, made the substitution without fuss, brought some more jam quickly when I used it all up on my first scone.

The menu is quite wide ranging so you can either pick and mix, or choose from a variety of pre made options.

In summary I'd say it is a venue for a special occasion or when you want to splurge, it's not really the place for some ordinary sandwiches or a value meal, you have to accept that the service and surroundings come at a price and taking that into account it was worth the cost to me (about £19 a head I think).

• Visited December 2013
Kayleigh R, Marketing Executive at The Pump Room Restaurant, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you for leaving us a good review.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed you afternoon tea and the service provided.

We look forward to welcoming you to the restaurant again.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Tiverton, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Three of us were fitted in at short notice for afternoon tea. The service was excellent everyone had a smile on their face and although there was a queue we were not hurried, which gave us time to take in our beautiful surroundings. To add to the charm the pianist was delightful.

Bath, United Kingdom
“Overpriced, over-valued, under-whelming”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Wonderful setting, traditional food, too expensive. The waiting staff seemed to think they were working at Buckingham palace but the service was just not good enough. I live in Bath and won't be going back.

Visited July 2013
Thank you for leaving a review for The Pump Room Restaurant.

I am sorry to hear that you found us to be overpriced. The majority of our food is prepared fresh on the premises and we use local suppliers wherever possible. We do try to keep the costs down as much as possible and offer a varied a la carte menu and set lunch menu with varying price brackets.

Many of our repeat guests are local residents so it is very disappointing to hear that you will not be returning.

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Really poor service”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My family and I visited the pump room with great expectations. We tried to dine in the pump room on previous visits to Bath but were never able to get a table, so on this occasion, we booked in advance...

We arrived at 3pm for our booking, however to our surprise, there was nothing in the diary and no booking at all. This is despite us booking a month in advance. The member of staff at the front desk was not apologetic, far from it and seemed to giggle instead of apologize. A table was sorted within a few minutes and we were pleased to finally be seated.

The food: We were really disappointed with the food all in all. We ordered a variety of items, from scones, a variety of sandwiches and Bath's traditional buns. The scones were completely over priced at £6.50 for two small scones with clotted cream and jam, the "variety of sandwiches" actually meant salmon, ham and cream cheese, not much variety in my eyes!!! the bun's, teas and soft drinks were fine.

The service: Woeful!!! not only did we have the booking fiasco, we had the worst waitress I have seen in a long time. She seemed unable to communicate other than "what do you want" about two minutes after being seated. The waitress never said one word to our party, never raised a smile, said please or thank you or even made an effort. Our plates were taken gradually without a "have you finished sir or madam" and the complete attitude was poor.

I'm not one to moan on here and not back my moaning up, so I spoke with the duty manager and raised my issues. The manageress was extremely apologetic and courteous. It is a shame her staff do not follow her lead.

We will not be returning on future trips to Bath.

1 Thank jay-c2012
Thank you for leaving a review for the Pump Room Restaurant.

I am surprised to hear that we were not aware of your reservation, this is most unusual. Bookings made in person, over the phone, online or by email are entered onto our online reservation system which is monitored daily.

I am pleased to hear that the team managed to find you a table quickly.

It is disappointing to hear that you found the service to be woeful. We have a great team of waiters and waitresses which are lead by a strong restaurant management team, many of whom have been here a number of years and take great pride in the high level of service provided.

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“A superb lunch”
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

It's the second time we have visited the pump house for Sunday lunch and on both occasions the food service and atmosphere were wonderful. The building has charm and elegance and the service was good. Food was good and plentiful, although the Xmas pudding was a bit of a disappointment. I only had one issue I had the Christmas menu which offered a glass of fizz, I asked if I could have orange juice as I was driving for obvious reasons but on reviewing the bill later at home noticed I had been charged I put down as mistake but it may be worth offering this option as an alternative.

Overall very good place to eat and relax.

Thank you for your kind review.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your lunch and the service provided.

I am sorry to hear about the fizz. We would ask that all guests check their bills before paying. This sounds like a genuine mistake and if you contact me direct with your name, the date and time of your booking I would be happy to look into this further.

kayleigh.robbins@searcys.co.uk