“Lovely food....service needs an overhaul”

The Bathwick Boatman
Ranked #32 of 618 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Bathwick Boatman is a tranquil slice of gastronomic heaven, located just 10 minutes stroll from Bath's city centre on the picture-perfect banks of the River Avon. Run by husband and wife restaurateur team Ben and Rosy Hall, the restaurant is set in an old rowing club with beautiful river views and a cosy, rustic ambience. After training in Italy and Spain, Ben worked in Miami before returning home to Britain, and his simple, seasonal menu is full of robust flavours and represents good old-fashioned value for money. The Bathwick Boatman has a divine summer terrace, and is perched just above Bath's historic boating station, where you can hire a punt or a rowing boat for a post-meal paddle.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I took 7 members of my family to the restaurant on a Tuesday lunch time. It was not busy, but it felt like we were asking for the world when we asked for a table for eight people.

Once they organised two tables and pushed them together, I have to say the food was lovely, beautifully fresh and nicely presented. Top marks to the chef. Service was just a tad can't be bothered, and no friendliness. Would have been 5 stars if the staff were just a little more friendly.

5  Thank paulandkaren1

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Dined out on the balcony overlooking the River Avon. Both food and location were excellent and service was very friendly. Will return for an evening meal sometime soon

3  Thank mab_robinson
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We booked our wedding reception at The Bathwick Boatman for the 6th July. From the very start we felt Rosy wanted our day to be perfect. With Rosy we worked out the timings for the day and Rosy ensured the tables looked lovely. We had wanted a relaxed day and Rosy and the team delivered that 100%. Our guests have told us how much they enjoyed the wonderful day. My parents summed it up well by explaining the food was perfect, the location was perfect and the team brilliantly balanced being attentive without being intrusive. I cannot recommend the Bathwick Boatman highly enough as they helped make our wedding a perfect day. Thank you

1  Thank Helen L
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed a fabulous three course lunch with a bottle of wine whilst overlooking the tranquil River Avon from the sheltered veranda. We walked their quickly from our central Bath hotel and afterwards enjoyed the short walk along the Canal and back into Bath via the Holbourne museum as suggested by our host.
Off the tourist drag this was a fabulous find. We enjoyed the Sunday lunch menu which provided plenty of choice. Our food was fresh and beautifully cooked. All the staff were pleasant. A little gem.

2  Thank DPBDON
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I booked this restaurant for a birthday lunch on a recommendation from a friend. I was not disappointed. When I booked I mentioned it was for a birthday lunch and could I bring a cake. Yes, of course was the answer. This helpfulness set the scene.

I duly delivered the cake, candles and matches with a helium balloon the previous day. I asked them to tie the balloon to the best seat (3 of us) and bring the cake out instead of pudding. All this was carried out by the staff with a smile.

My guests selected the fish and chips and both thought it was the best they had ever had. I chose one of the specials, an oriental red mullet. This, too, was extremely tasty.

The restaurant was full with another birthday party and as each cake was brought out everyone joined in singing.

The atmosphere and view is great. I expect we will be back.

1  Thank Chrissywissy