“Wonderful food and Decor”
Review of Tagine Zhor

Tagine Zhor
Ranked #31 of 593 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$5 - US$24
Cuisines: Moroccan
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Tagine Zhor is an authentic Moroccan restaurant run by the Casablancan Moroccan born owner. He takes pride in his Fez cuisine because it is based on traditional recipes that have been passed down from his loving Fez born grandmother "zhor" to him. It is the only finest Moroccan restaurant in Bath and probably in the whole South West of England. The perfect place to experience real Moroccan food cooked and served in a distinctive and traditional manner together with genuine warm hospitality in absolute beautiful Moroccan surroundings. Most meals begin with the simple selection of hot and cold mezze which might include hommos, Olives and Baba Ghannouj served with flat bread. The Tagine may come next served with Cous Cous, rice or Bread. It is a stew made of lamb, Chicken, Fish, Beef, kofta and Basilla. A single plate of dessert will usually consist of baklawas . They are sweet pastries dripping in honey or dusted in icing sugar marks the end of the meal before fresh mint tea or Arabic coffee are served. Do not forget to take a seat on outdoor terrace and enjoy the Shisha pipe and its flavour of tobacco. Also pay a visit to our gem Bazaar Shop downstairs featuring beautiful and unique handmade Moroccan items "great idea for gifts"
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stumbled across this restaurant after looking for somewhere else, we liked the look of the menu and decor and decided to give it a go.

My wife and I were very happy with the meal and service provided. We chose to have the early dinner menu which included 2 courses + Glass of house wine for only £15.50 each. My wife being vegetarian had a quite a lot of choice and so did I being the meateater.

Both Entree and Main we had were lovingly prepared and you could tell the chef had pride in what he produced and that he owned the restaurant himself. The server was attentive and made us feel comfortable from walking until leaving.

Would recommend to anyone looking for well cooked Moroccan meals

Reviewed 13 September 2013

This restaurant is tucked away on the North Parade and was a fantastic find. It's small,cosy, friendly staff, inexpensive and serves the most delicious and tasty food. I would recommend this as a 'must visit' or 'miss out' venue. I look forward to visiting Bath again when we will definitely revisit this little gem. Highly recommended for food lovers!

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I was really excited to see a Moroccan Restaurant in Bath and convinced several of my group to accompany me to the restaurant. The service was quite satisfactory but the food was just not what I would expect in a Moroccan Restaurant. Numerous Mexican style food selections were on the menu including "Nachos." Another speciality was "Baby Back Ribs." My companion and I chose the Moroccan Meze. One chose the sea bass while others chose items from the 'Two Selection Menu." The sea bass was considered to be excellent. As much as I wanted to really like this restaurant, it did not meet expectations and hopes.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

The place was very busy on a Saturday night but we got a table quickly. The service was fine and the decor as well.
We had a couscous and the merguez sausages were good but overall the dish was a bit bland, lacking some spices like cumin. Also I was surprised we had so many potatoes in the dish.
So overall average meal.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Before writing this I had a look at the past reviews - and to be honest I then had to check the photo of the restaurant to make sure I was about to write about the same restaurant. I visited this place with a friend earlier today. I've never been to Morocco nor have I ever tasted Moroccan food; to be honest I was very much disappointed. Disappointed with the relatively bland main meal as well as our decision to eat here.

I've eaten in many countries; am always happy to try new foods as well as accept new tastes. But for that to happen there has to be an actual taste.

We opted for the lunch special; the service was decent and the drinks as well as the starters came along in good time. Starters were great; in fact I finished mine in good time as I was looking forward to more new tastes within the main meal... boy, was I in for a shock.

My chicken came to me; it looked good. There was no taste from it; the almonds were the only tasty part of that meal. My friend (now she doesn't do overly spicy foods) took three spoonful's of her dish and said she'd had enough. I thought it may be too spicy for her; tasted it and was shocked to discover it was as bland as mine (she had beef tagine).

Both of us were disappointed at our main meals - i'm really sorry to the staff/chef/owner etc, but I felt disheartened at the lack of taste within a main meal of a country that I always thought was full of spices and different tastes.... maybe it was a bad day for the kitchen, maybe the special lunch never has flavours / spices or effort put into it....as it is a special lunch.

Please check out my review history, I'm not a complainer.... I love travelling and enjoy all foods; I think I may have written one negative write-up prior to this one.

I'm sorry to also say - as someone who always leaves a tip, I didn't on this occasion, the service was okay but I felt the main meal negated any need to tip.... the money I would have used as a tip was handed over to the first Big Issue seller I came across :-)

I hope this was a one off "bad meal x 2" If this is what Moroccan food is all about I really do feel sorry for Moroccans in general.