“Following a Times Review by AA Gill”
Review of Tagine Zhor

Tagine Zhor
Ranked #34 of 607 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: Moroccan
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Tagine Zhor is an authentic Moroccan restaurant run by the Casablancan Moroccan born owner. He takes pride in his Fez cuisine because it is based on traditional recipes that have been passed down from his loving Fez born grandmother "zhor" to him. It is the only finest Moroccan restaurant in Bath and probably in the whole South West of England. The perfect place to experience real Moroccan food cooked and served in a distinctive and traditional manner together with genuine warm hospitality in absolute beautiful Moroccan surroundings. Most meals begin with the simple selection of hot and cold mezze which might include hommos, Olives and Baba Ghannouj served with flat bread. The Tagine may come next served with Cous Cous, rice or Bread. It is a stew made of lamb, Chicken, Fish, Beef, kofta and Basilla. A single plate of dessert will usually consist of baklawas . They are sweet pastries dripping in honey or dusted in icing sugar marks the end of the meal before fresh mint tea or Arabic coffee are served. Do not forget to take a seat on outdoor terrace and enjoy the Shisha pipe and its flavour of tobacco. Also pay a visit to our gem Bazaar Shop downstairs featuring beautiful and unique handmade Moroccan items "great idea for gifts"
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We dined here to see if it was as good as he wrote. It was better!
Wonderful menu, varied and tasty, lovely and lovingly presented.
The wine menu was also very good and reasonably priced. Very atmospheric restaurant reminiscent of Marrakech bazaar.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,178)

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I had not visited Cafe du Globe for a while and it seems to have gone downhill as the prices have increased. For the first time, the owner or manager was not around and it showed. The music was not the usual north african tunes and the service was kind of ok rather than good. We ordered the aubergine starter with flat bread. This was tasty, slightly smoky flavour and enough for 2 ladies to share. My main course was chicken tagine with preserved lemon and coriander. There was a flavour of lemon in the dish but not a great one and the coriander appeared non existant. The couscous was dry. My friend's bastilla was not what you would expect, delicate layers of puff pastry and meat but a rather dry and compact round "thing" which I am sure would have worked great as a puck on ice. The salad accompanying the dish was uninspired and the sauce on the side OK-ish. We had a very small glass of wine each and the bill came to £45. The Allium, restaurant next door was offering a 2 course meal for £17.50 each, should have gone there. Also recently had eaten at the Muddy Duck just outside of Bath very recently and had some GREAT food for £51, 2 courses each and 2 glasses of wine each. I won't be coming back and will stop recommending it.

1  Thank rotterdam0892
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Whenever I come to Bath to visit my Aunty I like to come here. Food is gorgeous, restaurant has a good ambiance and character and the owner is friendly and accommodating!
I would definitely recommend the Lamb Tagine, plenty of tender flavoursome lamb served hot in the traditional tagine pot.
We also shared a mixed mezze which was really nice and of course ended the meal with a mint tea and baklava! Overall another fab meal here!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

My partner and I were in Bath for a couple of days break and decided to try Moroccan food for the first time , although we have both dined around the middle east, far east, and beyond. We eat out at lesat once a week and believe we have good palettes.

Our mezze starters were not too bad, although the amount of sausage in mine was meagre. They were generally tasty and well spiced.

Our main courses (we both had tagine - me lamb and her chicken ) were not good at all. The chicken was just lemony and nothing else and my lamb was completely tasteless. I eat a few mouthfuls and left the rest. Fortunately my partner, being more forceful than I, complained and I was offered something else. I reluctantly order a selection of the filo pastry dishes filled with various things - they were greasy and of no memorable flavour.

We were both keen to leave after that, even leaving wine in the bottle (that has to be an all time first!!). We were not charged for the lamb tagine but neither was any real effort made to placate our criticisms of the blandness of the food.

We both believe that this is a restaruant that caters for the tourists in Bath , serving poor portions and bland food because tourists may never come back anyway...

Hopefully sites likes tripadvisor will change that attitude and improve the quality of the food

3  Thank Colin360cs
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Chose this place as advertised as Moroccan . Place looked interesting and we got a table on Sunday night no problem without a booking.
Our waiter was how can I put this .... awful , he was pleasant but useless.
I ordered a starter and main but my wife only ordered a main course.
My starter arrived and my wife was told her food would soon be with her ( alarm bells started ) , being positive I suggested well at least she would have to sit watching me eat my starter and be hungry.
Anyway her food ,"b’stIla" , arrived and we both thought it looked a little on the small side for a main course but as it was something we were unfamiliar with so we went with the flow. My mixed starter was most enjoyable but my wife seemed a little disappointed with hers and said she could not find any chicken present. She persevered but then I decided to query with the other man who I assumed was the owner . I was not far into my explanation when he said there had been a mistake and she had received a starter non-chicken version of the b’stIla and they had decided to let her continue eating as they saw she had started ! There would be no charge and her other b’stIla ( a chicken in fill pastry dish) was being prepared .
Okay but now she was reasonably full of eating this (the reason she had not ordered a starter in the first place) . She left what remained .
Main courses arrived , another larger pastry dish for her which there was no way she was going to manage and mine with rice instead of cous cous even though the waiter had made sure which of these choices I wanted . The owner did remedy this quickly to his credit . The waiter was terrible , I got one ice cube to go with my lukewarm coca cola , I drank half the bottle and then asked for more ice in my empty glass , he took the glass away and returned with a glass full of iced water ! I do have a mild Scottish accent but his ability to understand anything was just not there ( I later asked him where he was from and he replied Bangladesh - maybe the Scottish , Moroccan , Bangladesh combination was just a step to far , and he was fairly new , couple of weeks .
My main course was enjoyable and plentiful , we did leave a lot as my starter was quite filling and my wife had an unscheduled starter .
Atmosphere was nice and overall I would recommend that people give this place a try . I'm sure the waiter will have improved or be sacked by next week as he was really bad but with a pleasant smile I have to say.
We did chat with the owner who is from Morocco and he was a really nice man. Overall the food was good although I am no expert in North African food and the place has atmosphere , service could easily be improved.
My wife did ask the waiter several times what the sauce was in the side bowl only to be told repeatedly (three times) with a smile " It is for the chicken" - Aye but what is it ! "It's for the chicken ...." Okay thanks.
Made for an entertaining evening :-)