“Such a gem in Bath. Am proud to recommend it internationally.”

The Circus Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 592 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$24 - US$31
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Small, busy, much admired, family-run restaurant; serving seasonal, locally sourced, freshly cooked food; charming and welcoming staff; sensible and honest prices. Set in a fine Georgian house in Bath's most beautiful position - between The Circus and The Royal Crescent. Voted number 4 in the United Kingdom by The Times "Twenty secret restaurants that foodies love". Bookings advised.
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We are from Nottingham and wanted to impress serious foodie friends from Adelaide in Australia who were visiting Bath for 3 days. We had not seen these friends for 2 years so no
pressure then.
After abit of research we opted for the Circus for Monday lunch. How absolutely fantastic was our choice. We came down from Nottinghamshire for the day to eat in this restaurant.
The food was just amazing Our party of 4 had 2 gazpachos and one tomato salad for starter. A small gazpacho is huge. Plenty of different breads offered with appertizers. Main courses included the guinea fowl, lamb patties and fish of the day All beautifully presented. Two crème brulees followed for sweet.
The service throughout was subtle yet attentive. Very well trained staff. The food amazing absolutely amazing. And the bill--is that all?? Very very reasonable for the incredible experience of The Circus that we had. Everybody was so impressed. Worth travelling 4 hours each way for.

M

1  Thank pkNewark5
eatyourgreens, Owner at The Circus Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for your lovely and very glowing review. We're so glad that you and your Aussie guests enjoyed it and are spreading the word. Come back soon

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We popped in after drinks at the Royal Crescent and we were fortunate to get the last unbooked table. Neither of us had been here before or heard anything about it so we looked at the menu and decided to take the gamble.

We shared a mozzarella and pine nut salad to start whilst we waited for our mains. I'm not a salad person at all but I can honestly say it was a pleasant surprise. I followed this with the lamb and my friend had the steak. We both thoroughly enjoyed the dinner and I couldn't wait for him to say he was full up so I could pinch his chips!

On leaving my friend left his Prada sunglasses behind and the staff kept them safe for him until he picked them up the next day.

Overall, great food, smooth and quick service, honest staff... What more can you want?

1  Thank williams_sl
eatyourgreens, Owner at The Circus Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Do stumble in again soon won't you? And thanks very much for your kind words we do appreciate them and you taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. Thanks again

Reviewed 6 July 2014

So glad I dined at the Circus on 3rd July with my parents and my uncle. Talk about food first. The presentation might look slightly rustic for some people but personally I did enjoy this kinda style, all dishes looked attractive for those who were hungry. Taste itself was simply spot on. We had two veal dishes and two fish of the day dishes, Please trust me, their food deserves at least one Michelin star as I recently have been to castle terrace in Edinburgh and two Gordon Ramsay Michelin starred restaurants in London. By the way their salad appetizers also deserved to be praised. Wine was also great because they all matched our main courses. In terms of service, that blond hair girl who served us can work in any Michelin starred restaurants. Finally, the bill was another surprise as it was not expensive at all-115 approx for 4 people including one bottle of sparkling wine and two glasses of red wines. Though my study at Bath Uni has finished, I will be back in Bath-this restaurant is a perfect excuse to be back in Bath!

What a lovely review! Thank you so very much. Not sure about the Michelin star bit but we do do our best.... and we do have charming waiting staff! Try to come back to Bath soon and do let your friends in China know about us. Thanks again for your very heartening words.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Though located on the tourist trail, this charming cafe/restaurant was full of locals and their guests when I was there for dinner. one evening in late June. Though busy, the atmosphere was calm and the service was both efficient and friendly. There is quite a good menu and the meal was good.

Thank you for your review. Yes, the locals are generally friendly natives and we are definitely a local restaurant despite having the luxury of being visited by tourists as well. We're so glad you liked your meal. Good luck for the World Cup too!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Great food but too hot in the basement. Booking was difficult and a deposit was needed to secure the table.

1  Thank Tim J

We do have air conditioning in the basement and if you'd have asked we would have turned it up a bit.....! Just to clarify the deposit scenario - we don't usually take deposits as a rule but we do sometimes on larger parties but, as this was graduation week in Bath and we were turning people away because we were fully booked for the entire week, we did take fully refundable deposits from people because last year we had a number of "no shows" who always considerably affect us being a small business. Glad you enjoyed the food despite this!