“Lovely Dinner”

The Circus Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 571 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$23 - US$30
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Small, busy, much admired, family-run restaurant; serving seasonal, locally sourced, freshly cooked food; charming and welcoming staff; sensible and honest prices. Set in a fine Georgian house in Bath's most beautiful position - between The Circus and The Royal Crescent. Voted number 4 in the United Kingdom by The Times "Twenty secret restaurants that foodies love". Bookings advised.
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Dinner”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We were lucky to get a last minute booking here as we walked through Bath. A compact but great menu with excellent salads, main courses and desserts! The first time we've gone three courses for a while. Interesting wine list and brilliant service topped off a wonderful evening.

Visited August 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Much Wenlock, United Kingdom
“A memorable meal but...”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Relaxing and comfortable setting with excellent service; not over attentive but responsive and helpful.

The ceviche of brill, a fish I’ve always loved but never eaten ‘uncooked’, was absolutely lovely: light, zingy sea fresh and of wonderful texture. 9/10

The main of Goat Curry was problematical. I’ve eaten goat curry in the Caribbean restaurants of The Black Country and at various places in India; this is my take on The Circus’s. The portion was huge, if anything over facing; it could have been ½ the size and I would have been satisfied. The curry seemed as though it had been cooked too quickly with the goat failing to achieve that juicy melt-in-the-mouth consistency and, whilst there was plenty of pure heat, the spicing lacked depth and subtlety of flavour. IMHO, a good period of marinating followed by a long, slow low-heat cook might have been better to really let the spices soak in and the meat tenderise. 6/10

Dessert of Summer Pudding with Geranium Scented Cream made with brioche. Maybe the best Summer Pudding I’ve ever had, packed with a variety of fruits and the brioche giving a really lovely smooth feel when eaten. The geranium scent came through at just the right level. 10/10

All in all, a memorable meal, but I wish I hadn’t chosen the Goat Curry. Sorry!

1 Thank Andrew M
eatyourgreens, Owner at The Circus Restaurant, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
I do appreciate your feedback and will act upon it. We do marinate the goat for 3 days (it's the Hugh Fearnely-Whittingstall recipe from his meat book) but I appreciate that each batch we make varies a bit and is dependent on quite a lot of factors so I'm really sorry that your batch did not live up to your expectations.
I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of the meal and will, hopefully return to test us again. Thank you
Bath, England, United Kingdom
“The goat curry was incredible!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I visited The Circus with a friend,we were warmly greeted and seated downstairs in a relaxed and comfortable setting, The waitress was very friendly and attentive, I was tempted to try the goat curry, a meat I had never tried before and her personal recommendation was greatly appreciated.This lead to me ordering the goat and being completely blown away, it was delicious, the meat was tender, the spicing was delicious, I wholly enjoyed my meal and wouldn't hesitate to order it again next time. My friend ordered the duck and ate every last bit, the portions were a very good size but we still found space for the sides we had ordered, chuncky chips, the best I've had in a very long time and a medley of vegetables. We finished the evening with a cocktail each, I would highly recommend the Pink Squirrel, don't let the name fool you, it was like a chocolate, almond dessert in a glass, fantastic.
Overall we had a wonderful experience, The Circus is the perfect place to treat yourself to some of the best food in Bath.

• Visited August 2014
Thank you so much for such a lovely review. As you see from the above review, not everyone has been quite so enthusiastic about the goat so I'm really glad you enjoyed it. As for the pink squirrel........!!!
“The best restaurant in Bath”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The best restaurant in Bath by far. I always end up eating here as nowhere else in Bath quite compares! Seasonal menu which changes monthly, creative dishes using the best local ingredients, very profesional and friendly staff. Make sure you book as it's very popular with both locals and visitors so does get busy!

• Visited August 2014
Thank you for your kind words. Do keep returning it means such a lot to an independent restaurant like ours to have regulars.
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Our favourite restaurant when visiting Bath”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Visited Bath this weekend and returned to The Circus. We had a wonderful meal as always, everything perfectly cooked. We had the fillet steak and the veal for main, both of which were beautiful. The service was excellent as always, friendly and attentive but not intrusive. The atmosphere is lovely and makes for a great relaxing evening out. Noticed the negative review about children...how ridiculous. Why do parents with young children think everywhere should accommodate for them?! Having a business ourselves we completely empathise with The circus. People pay a lot of money to go out for a relaxed and enjoyable meal which shouldn't be ruined by young children normally crying and misbehaving and leaving a mess behind. There are plenty of places to go with younger children, The circus is not one of them. It's the place for a sophisticated meal. Thank you for a perfect evening :)

• Visited August 2014
Thank you for such a kind review. We're so glad you returned to us on your trip to Bath and enjoyed yourselves and the food. Thanks also for your support re: children in restaurants. We look forward to seeing you again soon