Last week my family and I stayed at Cheddar Lodges.
The good points:-
• Clean tidy modern site. Only 1 year old.
• Hot tub/Jacuzzi was an absolute joy. (I’m missing the hot tub a lot)
* However, a cake wrapper and a bottle top (in which my niece trod on and hurt herself) was left behind by previous holiday makers so I had to do a bit of clearing up).
• Hot tub water gets checked by a member of staff every day. Hot tub set to a lovely 37°C.
• Free Wi-Fi in each caravan and also in restaurant area.
• No arcades (only has 2 bowling lanes and 2 pool tables.) Bliss, as arcades can be a bit noisy.
• Staff very helpful and polite.
• Swimming pool is nice. Has a soft cushion floor.
• Swimming pool changing rooms are clean and modern.
• Automatic car registration barriers (note: does not recognise private number plates so we had to punch in a number instead).
• The 1st day the automatic barriers wasn’t working for us, so we got stuck and couldn’t enter the site at night time.
• Caravan (not lodge) was very nice and had everything you could possible need ie: freezer, fridge, washing machine, dishwasher etc.
• Free WiFi in each caravan and also in restaurant area.
• Fab powerful shower. Better than mine at home.
• 2 Toilets in our caravan.
• Provided 2 x dressing gowns which I used one of them to wrap up after being in the hot tub, oh and a small rubber duck. :-)
• Steam room/Sauna is very nice.
• Has a gym, but didn’t use it as I wanted a break from exercise. ;-)
• Has area further up the site for general kick about with a ball.
• A relaxing site which I really enjoyed.
• Has a restaurant area where a member of staff takes your order. We didn’t use this but thought I would point this out.
• Has a another general area where you order your food at the bar.
• Has a small nature area where you can take a walk but this walk is quite steep.
• Has playground area for toddlers. Not really suitable for older kids.
The not so good points:-
• Lodges are in-fact caravans. My sister was well disappointed as we expected a large lodge with adult size beds like she experienced at another lodge holiday.
• We had 3 bedrooms and it was very tight with open doors blocking access for other members of the family.
• I had to sleep in a child’s size bed. Beds are comfortable but not wide enough thus kept hitting the wall every time I moved.
• My bed was adjacent to the fridge and freezer thus could hear them working through the wall thus kept me awake during the night.
• My sister had to sleep in the pull out bed in the lounge as the other bedroom the beds were even narrower.
• When my mum booked this holiday by phone, she specifically asked to be on flat land (as she struggles with hills). We were disappointed with the location of our caravan as it was 3/4 up a hill. My mum struggled with the walk from the reception/pool area to the caravan. My mum wasn’t happy because she spent a long time on the phone explaining why she wanted no hills to climb.
• Our caravan wasn’t 100% finished and we had a workman turn up asking if it was OK to add some bits to the back of it. It only took 20 mins or so, but paying a lot of money for our holiday you don’t expect staff turning up to add bits to your caravan.
• Some caravans car space can only fit one car. At a tight squeeze my sister and I managed to park our cars side by side.
• My sister mentioned there wasn’t enough to do for her kids (Aged 9 and 12), even though the site does offer some kids activities.
• The Farm shop doesn’t sell Newspapers. My mum loves her crosswords!
• The Farm shop only sells basic stuff. We had to either pop down to the petrol station for some food supplies or go to a proper supermarket.
• Mum had to pay extra for Hot Tub insurance. This was in insure the filter. Surely this should be included in the price of renting the caravan.
• Very expensive for a caravan holiday.
All in all, I enjoyed Cheddar Woods as it was quite relaxing. I would return as a couple and not a family.
However my sister doesn’t want to go back because she thought she was going to get a lodge and not a caravan plus she wants more things for her kids to do.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the beautiful Mendip Hills, Cheddar Woods is the perfect place to relax and unwind. Breath taking scenery awaits you at our state of the art park - brand new for Summer 2013. Cheddar Woods is the ideal location for family holidays. Set in an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, our fabulous park boasts beautifully furnished lodges both to purchase and to book for holidays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Cheddar Woods Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Broadway House Holiday Park Hotel Cheddar
- Cheddar Woods Resort & Spa Somerset