“Cheddar Woods : A relaxing holiday for Adults.”

Cheddar Woods Resort & Spa
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Last week my family and I stayed at Cheddar Lodges.

The good points:-
• Clean tidy modern site. Only 1 year old.
• Hot tub/Jacuzzi was an absolute joy. (I’m missing the hot tub a lot)
* However, a cake wrapper and a bottle top (in which my niece trod on and hurt herself) was left behind by previous holiday makers so I had to do a bit of clearing up).
• Hot tub water gets checked by a member of staff every day. Hot tub set to a lovely 37°C.
• Free Wi-Fi in each caravan and also in restaurant area.
• No arcades (only has 2 bowling lanes and 2 pool tables.) Bliss, as arcades can be a bit noisy.
• Staff very helpful and polite.
• Swimming pool is nice. Has a soft cushion floor.
• Swimming pool changing rooms are clean and modern.
• Automatic car registration barriers (note: does not recognise private number plates so we had to punch in a number instead).
• The 1st day the automatic barriers wasn’t working for us, so we got stuck and couldn’t enter the site at night time.
• Caravan (not lodge) was very nice and had everything you could possible need ie: freezer, fridge, washing machine, dishwasher etc.
• Free WiFi in each caravan and also in restaurant area.
• Fab powerful shower. Better than mine at home.
• 2 Toilets in our caravan.
• Provided 2 x dressing gowns which I used one of them to wrap up after being in the hot tub, oh and a small rubber duck. :-)
• Steam room/Sauna is very nice.
• Has a gym, but didn’t use it as I wanted a break from exercise. ;-)
• Has area further up the site for general kick about with a ball.
• A relaxing site which I really enjoyed.
• Has a restaurant area where a member of staff takes your order. We didn’t use this but thought I would point this out.
• Has a another general area where you order your food at the bar.
• Has a small nature area where you can take a walk but this walk is quite steep.
• Has playground area for toddlers. Not really suitable for older kids.

The not so good points:-
• Lodges are in-fact caravans. My sister was well disappointed as we expected a large lodge with adult size beds like she experienced at another lodge holiday.
• We had 3 bedrooms and it was very tight with open doors blocking access for other members of the family.
• I had to sleep in a child’s size bed. Beds are comfortable but not wide enough thus kept hitting the wall every time I moved.
• My bed was adjacent to the fridge and freezer thus could hear them working through the wall thus kept me awake during the night.
• My sister had to sleep in the pull out bed in the lounge as the other bedroom the beds were even narrower.
• When my mum booked this holiday by phone, she specifically asked to be on flat land (as she struggles with hills). We were disappointed with the location of our caravan as it was 3/4 up a hill. My mum struggled with the walk from the reception/pool area to the caravan. My mum wasn’t happy because she spent a long time on the phone explaining why she wanted no hills to climb.
• Our caravan wasn’t 100% finished and we had a workman turn up asking if it was OK to add some bits to the back of it. It only took 20 mins or so, but paying a lot of money for our holiday you don’t expect staff turning up to add bits to your caravan.
• Some caravans car space can only fit one car. At a tight squeeze my sister and I managed to park our cars side by side.
• My sister mentioned there wasn’t enough to do for her kids (Aged 9 and 12), even though the site does offer some kids activities.
• The Farm shop doesn’t sell Newspapers. My mum loves her crosswords!
• The Farm shop only sells basic stuff. We had to either pop down to the petrol station for some food supplies or go to a proper supermarket.
• Mum had to pay extra for Hot Tub insurance. This was in insure the filter. Surely this should be included in the price of renting the caravan.
• Very expensive for a caravan holiday.

All in all, I enjoyed Cheddar Woods as it was quite relaxing. I would return as a couple and not a family.
However my sister doesn’t want to go back because she thought she was going to get a lodge and not a caravan plus she wants more things for her kids to do.

Room Tip: Be aware this site is on a slight hill in which some people may struggle to walk up, so phone Chedda...
1  Thank Julie_rnr
Christina L, Customer Services Manager at Cheddar Woods Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2014

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us here at Cheddar Woods.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for all of the wonderful points you have raised and for pointing out some of our many unique features.

I was however sorry to hear that your group were not fully satisfied with your accommodation and felt mislead. We do endeavour to ensure this does not happen and provide accurate descriptions of all our accommodation types so all our customers can make an informed choice before going ahead with the booking. We therefore ensure that we market the category of accommodation you booked as a holiday home and not a lodge to avoid disappointment as that faced by your sister.

I hope this did not disappoint your visit to much and I do hope that you may visit us again soon for another relaxed stay.

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Just got back from our first trip to cheddar woods booked through Hoeseasons and totally loved it. Site was easy to find and a lovely feel to the whole place. So clean and great service from staff. We did water zorbing and climbing wall which the kids loved and the pool went down well too. I had a treatment at the spa which was fab. There's a great pub nearby called the Rodney stoke arms which was good for the evening. Defo recommend getting a food shop delivered too.

Genuinely have no complaints and hope to return.

• Stayed: August 2014
CheddarWoods, Manager at Cheddar Woods Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Thank you very much for your recent review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and highlighted so many good features about all of our facilities.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely setting, lovely lodge with hot tub. Great facilities. I cannot find a fault with cheddar woods. we had a friendly reception when we arrived. we were shown around the facilities in detail by the receptionist. Our lodge was well equipped. Lovely setting for a few days away with the family. Great hot tub with decking surrounding it. I really cant find a fault. We will be returning soon.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 526MelanieJ

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay here at Cheddar Woods. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I am glad to hear we will see you with us again soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

As previous reviews have said the lodges are lovely; clean, well equipped etc. The on site shop could have been better/more usefully stocked but there was a BP garage with a Spar shop within a few minutes walk. We didn't get to use any of the go-active facilities as things we wanted to do were already fully booked, but we did use the swimming pool, steam room and sauna - all spotlessly clean. Great place for walking up to and around the gorge. We hired some bikes from a place near the industrial park and cycled along The Strawberry line to Yatton station, where we stopped for a cup of tea and tasty slice of cake before heading back to base - approx 20 mile round trip. I visited the spa for a facial on our final night - Alice gave me my treatment - she was fantastic and I would recommend her.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MichMoch2014
Christina L, Customer Services Manager at Cheddar Woods Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for letting us know about your stay here at Cheddar Woods. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of so many things on offer in the area as well as on park. We are indead fortunate to have some very gifted therapists in our Eden Spa and I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your treatment and such lovely comments. I will be sure to pass these on to her and I hope we will see you with us again soon for another active but also relaxing stay.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed here for 5 days from 18 August with our daughter, her husband and 9 month old baby. Our lodge (17) was ideally located as short distance to main building. Nice pool for babies and toddlers with good changing facilities. The pool was quiet which was ideal for a baby who also liked the larger pool. Cannot fault the lodge...comfortable sitting room, very well equipped kitchen and nice duvets and towels. An en suite bathroom and separate toilet. Large decking area with views over the reservoir in the distance..comfortable seating outside. Takeaway was good. Our only criticism would be that the shop on site was very limited (also closed early as attached to reception) and we walked to the Spar shop at the petrol station. It would have been nice to get provisions on site. Landscaping was lovely and it was a very peaceful site. I would recommend that people should do more research before choosing a site as this was never portrayed as being Center Parc. The website is quite clear about the facilities and that extra facilities are chargeable. Would happily recommend this site to friends and family. Ideal base for beautiful surrounding countryside. We went to Weston super mare to the Seaquarium, Avon valley railway and Court farm country park all of which our grandson enjoyed. Not too far to drive to each afternoon. Last but not least the staff were pleasant and helpful.

1  Thank sarahHove

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us here at Cheddar Woods. I am so pleased to hear that you all enjoyed your stay and particularly that your grandson enjoyed his stay and swim so much. I was also glad to hear that you took advantage of so many of the things the local area has to offer as we do have many wodnerful sites around us as well as on park.

I hope we will see you again soon for another relaxing stay.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We are just back from a week's holiday with our 6 children. We had a premier lodge with hot-tub & could not fault anything. We wanted GoActive activities for the children, who are aged 10-16 & they were ideal, having been to Hengar Manor in Cornwall last year, this was far superior. The staff were all helpful & friendly.

The only criticism was the restaurant in the evening, food was very average & we would of eaten in the restaurant more had the quality been better. The children had a great time & we've booked Piran Meadows in Cornwall for next August!

1  Thank KirsH2013

Thank you for letting us know about your stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed many of the wonderful things our GoActive team have to offer as well as the lodge and facilities. It was also a joy to ready the lovely comment toward our team.

I am sure you will enjoy your stay at Piran Meadows as much as this one but I hope we will see you with us here at Cheddar Woods again soon.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

This place is really worth visiting over and over again .
It's has very clean and high spec lodges with wonderful hot tubs . Such a nice place to relax and unwind.
staff are really friendly and helpful. The spa and swimming pool are really nice .

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank P C

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay here at Cheddar Woods. I am so pleased you enjoyed it and I am sure we will see you with us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheddar
Days Inn Sedgemoor M5
#1 of 1 in Edingworth
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House
18 mi away
Bath Mill Lodge Retreat

Been to Cheddar Woods Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!