“Interesting day out !”

and up
Burrington Combe to Cheddar Gorge Caving and Hiking Day Tour from Bristol
Ranked #2 of 17 things to do in Cheddar
More attraction details
Owner description: These caves provided shelter for man more than 40,000 years ago.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Interesting day out !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We visited the caves over Easter and had booked tickets online with a discount. We thought the caves were veryi nteresting and was able to tour on our own which we prefered, but there are staff available if you need them. There is a bus included in ticket price which takes you to the caves if you dont want the walk. Good value for money and a good day out, well worth a visit. Car parking reasonable for the day we paid £5 for the whole day.

Visited April 2014

• Czech first
  • Polish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We had been to Wookey Hole the day before, which we thoroughly enjoyed, so looked forward to more cave exploration and a trek to the top of the gorge. We arrived shortly before opening so we're able to park right across from Jacobs Ladder. We paid online for the tickets but still had to collect them plus pay £5 for an all day car park pass (not bad for all day) . The lady who served us was very helpful, and advised the best way to start was to do the bus tour. As I had already booked into the Extreme Caving, we decided to head to Goughs Cave first. As we were early, the was no crowds and we went straight in. The cave is a self guided tour, with lots of info on the formation and history on the cave itself. In the last cavern, there was an exceedingly friendly guide, who pointed out several features we hadn't noticed and answered any questions we had. He was genuinely happy to help and made the trip more personal. After this there was time for a quick coffee before I donned the overalls and hard hat for the extreme caving. This was truly one of the most frightening yet rewarding things I have ever done. Our guide Martin gave us all the safety advice before leading us back into Goughs cave, into the Diamond chamber and then up an Incline into the adventure caves. This being a tourist thing, I thought "how hard will this really be?" . It turns out very hard. It's dark, hot and there are really tight spaces called squeezes to get through. I'm not a skinny chap, but when even the thin people seem to struggle you know this is the real deal. Great fun, but be prepared for real claustrophobia. After a light lunch, we went to Cox's cave. This was smaller and seemed to be geared to younger kids, with goblins and elves placed along the way. Then it was a long climb up the Gorge for some breathtaking views. Altogether it was a great day, and we will be back. Great value for money!

Bideford, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Breathtaking Views, Beautiful Caves.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The caves are absolutely stunning and utterly wonderful!
You are given an audio guide and plenty of time to stroll at your leisure through the caverns.
The only off putting thing was the actual audio guide itself - for some reason Cheddar thinks we are all idiots with an I.Q of about 10, so it was spoken in a ridiculously broad Somerset accent and gave very little actual historic or geological information. By about number 31 I found myself shouting "Shut up" at the machine!
The Gorge is beautiful with the most amazing views and landscape. Along the lower half are a selection of cafes and shops. I bought some cave-aged cheddar which was delicious! (I ate half of it in the car on the way home!)
There are always lots of motorbikes on ride outs through the Gorge, so it was also really nice to wander round the car park, admiring bikes gleaming in the sunshine and chatting to their owners.
For the really adventurous, there is organised rock climbing and cave diving too!
The open top bus was running so I boarded that for a scenic tour, spotting some little goats and Soay sheep showing off their mountaineering skills half way up the almost sheer incline.
I also found a gift shop at the very bottom called John's which stocked some very well priced gifts. I went a bit mad and bought a whole heap of Nemesis Now dragons, witchy and gothy things because they were half price.
All in all, a nice day out in the lovely weather.
It cost £18.95 for the caves and £5 to park all day.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Kezziejay
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome,scarey and incredible .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Had an interesting tour with Sam admiried his sarcasim to break the ice but we were all nervous! Crawling, climbing, sliding not a problem but when everyone left me on my own in a chambre and disappeared head first down a hole, I had minor panic attack which I managed to control and went for it. Really
scarey. Think 2 instructors are needed,
one at back and front. Be prepared. Its a very surreal experience and I was glad to see daylight. Had some very strange looks from tourists who took photos of our group covered in mud. Its worth doing and not expensive. Recommend it but not for the faint hearted...

Visited May 2014
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fantastic day out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Loads to do, loads to see, great for kids and adults. Loved it. Gough's cave was the highlight and the open top bus tour is a must. Lovely little gift shops and cafés too. Wonderful scenery and if you're brave and fit enough 274 steps on Jacobs ladder gives you a fantastic view over Cheddar.

Visited May 2014