“A real sense of history!”
Review of The Luttrell Arms

The Luttrell Arms
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunster
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is a truly beautiful 14th century building full of nooks, crannies, and turns. It oozes atmosphere.

The bedrooms are adapted to suit the old buildings, and if you’re looking for a modern hotel experience, this is not for you.

I noticed the Manager on duty offering a lift to a lonely old gentleman in the bar who had too much to drink. I thought this was a lovely and caring gesture.

We had dinner in the bar and breakfast both of which were lovely.

Treat yourself if you want an old world experience.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I booked myself and my wife into the luttrell arms as a last minute anniversary treat. I initially found a good deal on bookings.com but decided to call the hotel direct to see if they could do a better deal. The reception team were very good and sorted out a fantastic price for our stay, in one of there four poster bed rooms(room 17) including breakfast and evening meal.

On our early arrival (about 11ish) the receptionist was very welcoming and professional, I dumped the bags and got a free car park permit for the car park around the corner. We were then aloud to check in to the room early.

We stayed in room 17 which is stunning, four poster bed, vaulted ceiling, sitting area and fabulous decor. You don't get a view but you don't need it as the room is beautiful. We sat in the secret garden for lunch overlooking dunster castle, we only had baguettes but they were lovely.

We tried various wines from their wine list and all were very nice, try the Pinot noir a little expensive but nice.

The evening meal was very nice with lovely waiting on staff (Karen) all the courses were cooked well and the steak was fab, the sweet portion was a little small but tasted fantastic.

All in all a great visit to a great place, I would recommend this place to anybody.

Fantastic staff, keep up the good work.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 17, it's wonderful vaulted ceiling is amazing
Reviewed 24 April 2014

A friend booked a 3 night stay for the 2 of us last week and it was simply wonderful. My whole experience of the hotel was first rate. The staff are so friendly and accomodating-nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are well laid out and each oe is unique. We stayed in the Rosehip room, which had a balcony terrace and steps down to a beautiful cottage garden.
The food was delicious too.
Am already planning my return with hubby!

Room Tip: I can certainly recommend the Rosehip Room!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angee087
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We were a couple of cyclists stopping in Dunster during an Exmoor mini break, after staying with the Lutrell in 2012, we decided as it was superb then it wouldnt let us down the second time....we were even more impressed. On arrival, the lady (sorry didn't catch her name) couldnt do anymore to help us. We were given a secure locked room for our rather muddy bikes, downstairs and even offered a hose pipe to wash them down. We checked in, and not once did they complain, although muddy looking and sweaty we were, we were given our room keys and told about all the usual things in the room, especially about the hot water switch.
That night we ate down in the bar near the fire and ordered from the bar menu. Food was good, the beer too and the girl behind the bar was friendly, efficient and polite.
The nights sleep was excellent, the bed was super comfy, although a little warm and we just cracked the window, but all was well.
Next night we decided to go for their curry night, all you can eat for £7.95, it was ok, a little disappointed as it was obviously not the super hot curries we are used to enjoying in a Indian restaurant, but thats individual choice, it was good value though.
I could go on for lines, about the hotel staff, and contrary to one recent review, they were exceptional. Friendly, hospitable and genuine.
I recommend a luxury stay here, you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank nicki1512
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed overnight on visit to Dunster and Beer to catch up with friends. What a find! Such a special place! We treated ourselves to a 4 poster room and what a treat that was. Spacious character room impeccably clean and well serviced with good standard of products. PERFECT! Food at dinner and breakfast was excellent too with an extensive menu for all tastes and service impeccable from courteous and unobtrusive staff. Wish other hotels could take notes from this fine example. love to visit again

Stayed: February 2014
15  Thank MrsBWestSussex
Becca W, Manager at The Luttrell Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments - We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

The four of us, including two Children (well behaved, I should add; ages 10 & 8) decided it would be lovely to visit Snow Drop Valley and Dunster Castle. We originally booked the Luttrell Arms for two nights, commencing Wednesday 19th February. As I rushed back from work, excited about a precious trip with my family the Hotel decided not to honor the original booking and duly put the price up by £140 to £440 for two nights. Not only is it excessive, but we had agreed a price and given a deposit of £60 based on £300 for two nights? Sadly we didn't stay Wednesday night, changed the booking to one night. So before we started our the trip was ruined, clearly the hotel is in trouble, that was obvious, but not from the website. The room was pleasant, but no WiFi and the showers did not work. One of children was scolded as the thermostatic system was broken. I was told someone would look at it but...nothing happened. I don't know about you but I like to be organised, especially with young Children at supper time. We were notified that we could eat in the restaurant after 730pm or in the bar where you can't book. But we were told not to worry it would eventually "free up" after the Wake had finished. Now I do not wish to be disrespectful to the members of the Wake, it was the hotel that was at fault. In any case we could not get a table. The Hotel was far more interested in the Wake guests than looking after hotel guests. Understandable, they are locals, we are not and they absolutely made sure we felt like outsiders, we live near Bath after all. Eventually we were put in a back room bar, away from the locals and finally the food arrived. It was the worst food I have ever eaten, most of it bought in Tesco, allegedly. I am not a fussy eater, but I could have cooked better with half the ingredients, The so called Chicken Jalfrezi was inedible. We were passed caring now, so we didn't complain. Just went to bed. I will however mention a positive regarding a member of staff, at breakfast, a lady, she was delightful. Other than that we might as well not have existed and the Hotel does not like Children. Even when we checked out, on Friday, the hotel tried to take even more money from us, by suggesting we had four children and they even put it on the bill in black and white they actually tried to charge me, I was speechless. It is safe to say I will not be returning to The Luttrell Arms nor indeed Dunster. If that is how you treat visiting guests, I am afraid you can keep it. You have been warned Ladies & Gentlemen.

Room Tip: Don't book.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank ARBones_07

I was really sorry to read your horrendous trip advisor review.

I hope that you will see from our many other reviews that your experience and dissatisfaction with your stay at The Luttrell Arms is not the norm and we were most shocked to receive this review.

I have investigated the matter and spoken at length with the general manager Tim Waldron regarding your stay and I feel that it is only fair to allow him to respond to your comments.

He personally introduced himself to you in the bar and checked that you were happy when eating with your family, you didn’t raise any concerns to him at this time. He did confess that were several of the close family from the funeral in the bars (although as we are an Inn that offers hospitality to all and he was a well-known and respected local you would expect such). as a courteous gesture Tim did offer for you to dine with your family in the restaurant if you wanted more privacy and offered the bar menu in there if you did not want to dine from the restaurant menu. But you opted for the bar....

It’s a hard line to draw between being a famous hostelry at the centre of the community and a first class hotel; something that we usually do well, and most people enjoy the atmosphere that we strive hard to create. Whether people are attending a function, resident guests or locals we endeavor to make them feel welcome and comfortable.

I was unaware that there were problems with the Wi Fi we have spent a lot of time and money on a new in house Wi Fi and TV System and have brought the Luttrell arms in to the 21 century ( despite the fact that super-fast broadband won’t be with us until 2015!!) To our knowledge it is working effectively and we have received no complaints.

With regards to your bill I feel you are not being totally truthful with people that read this. All tariffs and the cost of your stay was clearly stated in your confirmation email which was sent to you prior to your arrival. If you wish to discuss this please phone me at the hotel on 01643 821555. In addition to this a member of management was available to discuss your bill with you on checkout on the Friday but you didn't care to do so (although it would have been a sensible time to do address your many issues).

The last time that a member of management checked on you was Thursday night when Tim left the hotel at gone midnight at which point he introduced you to the night porter who was going to look after you through the night . The management presumed that everything had been ok with your evening as you stayed down in the bar after your children had gone to bed?

We are all very upset when anyone leaves The Luttrell Arms feeling unhappy, especially when we think there is no reason for this to have happened , I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at some time in the future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Took a last minute break here for one night. Friendly welcome. Room comfy. Food in restaurant excellent. My partner's steak was cooked to perfection. A beautiful old building with lots of character features. Would definitely recommend. Great late deals to be had if you go their website rather than phone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chasda

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunster
Dunster Castle Hotel
#2 of 5 in Lynmouth
Simonsbath House
Simonsbath House
#1 of 1 in Simonsbath

Been to The Luttrell Arms? Share your experiences!