“Bed in Rose Quartz Room Absolutely Terrible!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glastonbury
Tordown Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 53 Glastonbury B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I stayed in the Rose Quartz room overnight in February 2012 and was unable to sleep due to the dreadful mattress. It was incredibly lumpy - only around a third of the bed was actually flat! While Egyptian cotton bathmats are impressive, I'd have preferred sleep!

The room was also so hot that, even after turning off the radiator, I was forced to sleep naked - and was still hot! After a maximum of three hours sleep, I was informed I'd missed the half-hour breakfast slot between 9am and 9.30am - on a Sunday! - and that toast was all that was available.

I didn't chose the B&B - a friend booked it - and would never have done so had I realised breakfast and check-out was so early on a Sunday.

The owners were helpful enough when asked, but I never felt entirely comfortable - almost as if they were observing us or thought us peculiar. It just felt weird.

There were lots of options for drinks in the room, including herbals teas and fairtrade organic hot chocolate; and a CD player and television were also provided. But I felt the threats to throw people out on the street there and then without a refund should they be caught smoking or be suspected of carrying 'prohibited substances' (contained in the welcome folder) were a little OTT.

Overall, I didn't feel particularly welcome and would have preferred a comfortable mattress to all the other bits and bobs that I didn't use.

Room Tip: Avoid the Rose Quartz room!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank CJL1144

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Cheryl and Michael the proprietors are both lovely welcoming people. Full of useful information for your magical visit to Glastonbury. We where a small group of 6 ladies and found all our rooms wonderfully appointed with TV, stereo, en suite bath/shower rooms. We even had a view of the Tor from one of our windows. Each morning we where greeted and enjoyed an amazing organic vegetarian breakfast with home-made organic spelt bread, a beautiful way to start the day!! I would certainly return and recommend the Tordown to my family and friends.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2011

If you look for B&Bs in Glastonbury that would also welcome kids...you may notice that while there are many nice ones, NONE except Tordown seem to welcome kids (or at least mention them on their website). We booked for one night and stayed in the Malachite room.

We met one of the proprietors, Cheryl, as we were arriving. She was very nice. The whole B&B is beautiful, with every comfort you could wish for. It was almost more of a hotel than a B&B, but only in the best ways.

Our room was clean and comfortable, with a beautiful view. The TV had a DVD player, which was great for my daughter, and a nice cot was provided for us. The bathroom was gorgeous, with high quality bath items. Selection of teas and etc in room was excellent as well.

Breakfast was delicious, and there was so much to pick from on the buffet - not to mention the yummy hot breakfast that Cheryl cooked. There was a lot for my daughter to eat.

I would definitely recommend Tordown for families with children, as long as you have a child who is fairly well-behaved and would be good in a B&B environment. I am not big into the mystical/angel stuff, but it was clearly a wonderful retreat for those who are, and everyone can enjoy Tordown for the warm welcome, luxurious surroundings and fabulous amenities!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We have visited this beautyful and peacefull B&B three times and we come again in 2012. Anne-Marie and Steen, Denmark.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Just relax and let the peace wash over you.Tordown is a home from home.it is spotless and the breakfast is great.The juices are so different from "normal" ones.You can really taste the difference from concentrates.The spelt bread is so very tasty.
All the beds are very comfortable and the rooms are very well appointed.
The toiletries are all as natural as can be.I loved the new huge towels in Room 9.
We were lucky with the weather and managed to sit in the garden looking over the levels and watching a good variety of birdlife.We were lucky enough to see the badgers enjoying their supper.There were also dragonflies.The garden goes from strength to strength and the new fruit trees look good.
Cheryl and Michael were their usual charming happy selves.Their ready laughs are quite infectious.Nothing is too much trouble and their serenity is unflappable.I am convinced that if there were an earythquake (God forbid) they would pick themselves up and offer their services to anyone who needed it with a cheerful smile and some calming words.Tordown has to be the best B&B anywhere!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Excellent food, lovely accommodation, and Cheryl and Mike work hard to ensure you enjoy your stay. Room 10 has the most wonderful views over the Hills of Avalon.

Room Tip: No need to take any towels, soap, shower gel, shampoo or conditioner, as all provided.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Very beautiful and comfortable rooms and beautiful small garden! And an inspirational atmoshere! We have visited the place now for a couple of decades and we keep going back, what more can I say?
Werner and Erika from Belgium