“The perfect place to stay in Glastonbury”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glastonbury
Tordown Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 55 Glastonbury B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Worthing
“The perfect place to stay in Glastonbury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

I stayed last year in the flat..everything was great, everything in the kitchen worked perfectly which is quite unusual. I went as a guest and left as a friend.
This year I stayed in a ground floor room, it was very clean, well laid out and decorated beautifully.. The bed was the most comfortable I have slept on. I usually only sleep a few hours each night, here I was sleeping 7 hours. Amazing.
The breakfast was excellent, everything was organic and fresh with plenty of choice.
The very comfortable lounge had a magnificent view over rollings hills. It overlooked a beautiful garden, where it was possible to watch many birds feeding from the well stocked feeders.
If you wish there is the opportunity to experience various therapies, which I recommend, or if you prefer you can relax in the sauna.
If you want to be nurtured and have a really relaxing holiday this is the place to stay.
I intend to go again next year.
I highly recommend Tordown.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank niceWorthing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

We have just come home from our 6th visit to Tordown. My wife used to work in hotel management and is thus uncompromising about standards of cleanliness and presentation. We both adore Tordown. The calm and peaceful atmosphere plus comfy bed have given us the best nights' sleep of our lives. After such a refreshing night it's a welcome relief to enjoy a healthy breakfast with relaxing music without being bothered by annoying smalltalk from a hearty host. Cheryl is attentive but understands and respects sleepy guests' preference for a peaceful start to the day.

The position is ideal -an easy 20 minute walk into the town centre and about the same to the Tor, while quiet country lanes (full of blackberries at the moment!) are a 5 minute walk away. We always come on public transport - regular, cheap and modern buses from Yeovil and Bristol with lovely scenery and villages en route.

Tordown sets the standard by which we judge accommodation elswhere.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

Another trip to Tordown.Mike and Cheryl had just suffered the collapse of part of the lounge ceiling.They cleaned and coped with builders while remaining their calm,friendly and hospitable selves.Despite the urgency of the collapse Mike and Cheryl found time to listen and talk to all the guests who needed their help.I do wish I could manage as well.I was puzzled by "Eujay"s report.It seemed to be a rant about Brisish hotels but did praise Tordown.I was also puzzled by the complaint abou the beds.There are many different beds available and we all have particular likes and dislikes.Most people will find that the bed in an hotel or B&B will not be quite like home.One may not sleep quite as well as at home but this does not mean that the beds are wrong-merely that it is not quite right for you.Reasonable people enjoy their stay and accept that sleep may not be quite as good as normal.We have slept in most of the rooms at Tordown and found them all to be comfortable and very,very clean.I have listened to Cheryl giving explicit instructions to her staff to ensure that all rooms are well cleaned and properly made up.
We were able to watch a large variety of birds feeding in the garden in the Autumn sun.We were able to have several very interesting and thought provoking conversations with Mike and Cheryl.W have not been able to decide if their skill lies in listening or talking-but both are at a very high level.We need to book again or it will be booked up.Home from Home.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

The general overview of this B&B is that they want you to feel comfortable and at home. I did not feel either of those things. Later in the day, the little boy who we were watching while his parents were at a wedding was in our room with us, we all decided to go down for a nap and we were interrupted by Cheryl a few times, she didn't wake the baby, but still it was kind of annoying as we were trying to catch up on some sleep. The little boy's parent's came back to pick us all up to drop us off in town, and we would walk back up later. Well in the process of getting out of the room somebody spilled a carton of ready mixed formula and it was on the dresser. I noticed, picked up the carton and I had papers sitting on the dresser which soaked up most of the milk, the parents were in a big rush so I decided I would pick up later since we would only be gone for an hour or two. We get back from town and I open the door to find the room in an absolute MESS. All of our stuff had been tossed around with no care whatsoever. On the bed, the floor, etc. The dresser which had the milk on it, was taken completely out of the room and a towel had been placed on the floor. I immediately was furious because they came into the room while we were not there and messed with our belongings, my friend and I were both feeling ill with a bad cough and our tea tray had been taken out of the room as well. I had brought pizza back from town and the little boy was ready for lunch so we went into the dining room, Cheryl and Mike were no where to be found, so I used a small saucer and knife that was already laid out on the table. I later read in their handbook that dishes sitting out are for "vegetarian use only". Anyways, we made our way back into our room and I decided I would go find them to ask for the internet details to get online. I walked into the kitchen and immediately got glares from both of them. They gave me the details and I thanked them, as I was turning to walk away Cheryl began berating me. She informed me that she was very, very cross with me and the state I left my room in. I apologized, then her husband started in saying that the milk "sunk through" the dresser (which was not true, as I was looking at it) and then Cheryl told me that it "ruined her new carpet" which also was not true because I picked up the towel where the milk supposidly spilled down to and the carpet was dry with no marks whatsoever. I just kept apologizing, and the more I did that, the more they got angry? They then informed me that we were no longer allowed to use any liquids (including baby formula) in our bedroom, I'm an adult and I appreciate to be treated as one, not a 12 year old child. If I wanted to stay with my mother, I would have gone to her house. I went to walk away and the yelling just continued so I just went back to my room, there was nothing else that I could say. I did not feel comfortable one bit after this and I locked myself with the child and my friend in our room until his parent's returned 5 hours later so that we could leave to go back to London. I was very, very appauled at their behavior because their entire message of their bed and breakfast is that peace is possible, angels, healing crystals, etc. If I had had my own transportation, I would have left their house immediately. Besides that, the house, and the grounds are indeed beautiful it is just unfortunate that I didn't get to experience the spiritual, relaxing, comfortable atmosphere that everybody else who paid to stay there did. I'd also like to add that if you have to go to them to ask for something, ie scissers, internet info, plates, whatever it may be it just felt to me like I was being a bother and interrupting their television time which with our room being on the ground floor, right near the kitchen (where their tv is) they have the volume up quite loud so we could hear everything so it was hard to get peace and quiet. So with that said, I won't be back and I do not recommend this place to anybody. There are a million little B&B's in Somerset and Glastonbury, some even more beautiful then Tordown and I'm also thinking they're probably more friendly and for the most part the entire town believes in the same types of things, organic, vegetarian, healing crystals, etc. so if that's what you're looking for you will be sure to find it elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank britty9
, Owner at Tordown Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 June 2011
Here at Tordown we have run a quiet, peaceful and spiritually aware establishment for 20 years and our reviews have always been positive and complimentary, certainly never have we been accused of such childish responses to a guest when we have spent the better part of our lives in embracing people for who they are.
With this in mind we are at last propelled to respond ‘Britty9’s negative review of ourselves.
The original booking was made by the parents for whom ‘Britty9’ was a nanny, booking two rooms, one for the parents and one for the nanny and her friend, one of which was entirely unsuitable to house a baby because of a space issue. We were not informed about the baby’s presence on this particular trip, the parents were put in a room that was suitable. However, the majority of the time, the baby was residing with the young nanny (and her friend) in the other room, where there is insufficient room for a baby, the parents having checked out of their room.
When staying at a bed and breakfast for more than one day (which this booking was) it is customary to service each room and provide the guests with fresh towels if needed and make the beds etc. At breakfast the ‘Britty9’ enquired after activities that the she could engage in with the child while the parents were at the wedding so we did not expect them to be in the room, in bed all day. Unfortunately we were not told that either of them were ill and would be staying in bed and resting, so on a couple of occasions we knocked to see if they had left the room to enable servicing it. In the late afternoon the parents returned to pick up everyone to go out, after which we took the opportunity to service the room. On entering the room we found that a carton of formula milk had been spilt across the dressing table, down the wall (the stain could only be fully removed by repainting it), and into the brand new carpet! There had been no attempt either to mop it up or indeed inform us, we were around the entire time. The room itself was untidy with the guests’ belongings all over the floor, the bed, etc. so we picked everything up and placed it on the bed. We had to carry out the dressing table to dry as the milk had seeped underneath into the wood and a towel was placed on top of the carpet after we had attempted to clean it. The tea tray was available to ‘Britty9’ and her friend whenever they required it as was the formula milk, there was no spare surface to put it on in the room with the dressing table drying out, we did say that we didn’t want the open carton of milk to go back into the room but they were more than welcome to pour it out in the kitchen. We would never say that they couldn’t have liquids in their room.
In response to ‘Britty9’s regarding the breakfast crockery, we are applying for the ‘vegetarian society’ accolade at the present it is extremely important that no meat passes our breakfast ware at any point, giving our vegetarian guests this peace of mind. We do however supply alternative crockery etc. for guests who do eat meat.
When ‘Britty9’ asked us for the internet code we forcefully mentioned that ”someone” had knocked over the milk and never at any time accused ‘Britty9’ of this, giving her the opportunity to explain how or why it had been left spilt for hours. The only response we had from her was complete denial of knowing anything about it and yet in her review ‘Britty9’ has acknowledged the spillage... hmm interesting.
We do live in our kitchen! In fact it is the hub and heart of our establishment and we do have an open door policy so that at any time, a guest can comfortably come in and tell/ask for anything they require.
It is clear that ‘Britty9’ did not possess the maturity to come forward at any point to discuss any of the above issues, which is very unfortunate. We pride ourselves on our open, welcoming and compassionate attitudes to everyone that we meet so we thank all guests/reviewers who cannot help but see this in us.
If ‘Brity9’ had come to us as soon as the accident happened, it could have been cleaned up and there would have been no cause for tension. We had no idea who had spilt the formula but it sounds like Britty 9 has decided to admit her part which is appreciated.
We pride ourselves on our open, welcoming and compassionate attitudes to everyone that we meet so we thank all guests/reviewers who cannot help but see this in us and have given us such wonderful feedback.
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

We stayed with Mike and Cheryl before the Glastonbury festival, and were lucky enough to be given one of the rooms at the top of the house. A huge bed, stunning views and hot shower in the morning was the perfect start to the next leg of our journey... 5 days in a hot tent!! Would recommend to anyone, great location and a brilliant nights sleep.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Solihull, Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

First class hospitallity & friendlyness made us feel at home, excellent breakfast choice & tasty too.
With all rooms colour coded to match particular named crystal emits a lovely calm relaxing atmosphere.
Hydrotherapy pool highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2010

Totally delightful and delighted: the food tasted like real food, and was very well prepared and served. The room was very comfortable, the garden great (when the rain let me out!).

The location was very quiet and peaceful, with little traffic and plenty of opportunities for walking. The Tor is almost in the back garden! Chalice Well and the White Spring are only a short walk away.

Cheryl and Michael went out of their way to be helpful, and I hope I thanked them for it at the time.

I would definitely “recommend to a friend”!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo