Hundred Monkeys
Ranked #7 of 56 Restaurants in Glastonbury
Price range: US$16 - US$30
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Description: We cook fresh, lovingly created dishes using organic ingredients and the best of local produce. We serve locally produced free-range meat, west-country fresh fish, and provide a vibrant menu catering for vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free diets. Our organic bakery produces artisan breads and divine cakes, biscuits and patisserie. We are open for breakfast and lunch seven days a week, and atmospheric evening service Thursday to Saturday.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Arrived in town a bit too early on a Sunday morning and most places were closed but this one was open and a few people were sitting in the window having breakfast so we went in. I ordered a bacon sandwich on white bread and my husband said he would have a sausage sandwich on brown. We also ordered a pot of English Breakfast tea. The tea arrived quickly but we left it for a few minutes before pouring. I stirred before pouring but the tea was horribly weak? I stirred it again but there was just too much water for amount of tea. The milk was thick and creamy, just what I didn't want with tea. And if that was English Breakfast tea I'm a Chinaman. The waitress just shrugged her shoulders and said that no-one else had complained. Then the sandwiches arrived. When I order white bread that's what I expect. This was light brown, dry and about twice the thickness of normal sandwich bread. No obvious butter. The bacon was at least 50 per cent greasy fat which I trimmed off and left at the side of the plate with the inedible hard crusts. The bacon was thin and unsmoked and had very little flavour. My husband said his brown bread was OK. But we've never seen so little sausage so such long way. This place charges way over the top for what it produces. I wouldn't expect to pay that much in the heart of London, let alone a greasy spoon in Glastonbury. The cleanliness and general appearance of the place leaves a lot to be desired too. If I were the owner I would be expecting a vist from the environmental health officer in the near future and another from the trading standards officer. They certainly won't be getting another one from me.

8  Thank Weardale
Abigail H, Owner at Hundred Monkeys, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit to Hundred Monkeys, but I would like to respond to a number of points that you raised.
Our English breakfast tea is blended by an extremely reputable importer, and we sell large amounts of it both in the café itself and by mail-order.
Our bacon and sausage sandwiches have a standard portion size of 2 rashers of thick-cut, smoked free-range bacon and two large sausages. Our artisan bread was baked fresh the day before, and whilst it may not be what everyone is expecting, it being hand-cut to order, it certainly was not stale. I have asked among the staff who were working on the day you ate with us and they received no complaint from any customer. If you had alerted them to a problem with your meal I assure you that they would have done what they could to rectify it.
Your comments about our décor and cleanliness surprise me as it was only 3 weeks ago that we had the front of house and toilets professionally repainted, We have a four-star rating by environmental health and adhere to strict standards of hygiene and cleanliness.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

This is our third night in Glastonbury and our second visit to hundred monkeys. Both nights were fabulous for food and service. On the first night we enjoyed their beers (normal and gluten free) and tonight we really enjoyed their wines. The menu is short and constantly changing (e.g evening specials are different to lunchtime ones) but clearly use fresh ingredients and are full of flavour. We enjoyed our experience here much more than a place nearby earlier in the week which was more than twice the price. Heartily recommended, particularly for how welcome and looked after you are made to feel.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

It's not great if you are looking for traditional English fare but wonderful for adventurous tastebuds!

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We had lunch at the Hundred Monkeys today and thoroughly enjoyed it. The place was busy but we were able to get a table immediately.

The atmosphere was lively but not overly noisy, and as far as I remember there was no irritating Muzak that so many other places seem to have on too loud. The staff were friendly and very helpful, especially as I requested a change to my meal.

The food was delicious - although be aware that their side salad is actually a lot of pulses and a few leaves. They were more than happy to provide additional leaves on request, though.

The price for two lunches and drinks was very reasonable. I would recommend it over many of the cafés in Glastonbury. If you haven't walked as far as the Post Office before you are missing a great place to eat.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is our 'go to' restaurant whenever we visit Glastonbury. We walk up the Tor and end up here for lunch. The coffee is great and the food is always fresh and really tasty. The staff are friendly and the outside space is delightful.